OT: Award-contender movies

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Been a strange year with movies with COVID. So many big movies were pushed to this year from 2020. Still some really good ones out there though.

Promising Young Woman is FANTASTIC. Will be up for best actress (Mulligan very well could win) and best picture.

Nomadland won't be for everyone because of it's pace but I implore everyone to watch it. It's a true story and a glimpse of America that millions doesn't know even exists. Chloe Zhou is going to win Best Director in a walk in my opinion...some of the shots are jawdroppingly amazing. Frances McDormand is a slam dunk for Best Actress nom and could win her third. I think she just might. Frontrunner for best pic and cinematography as well. Best of the year in my eyes.

Judas and the Black Messiah is quite a film too.

Movies getting a bunch of awards chatter that I really just thought were ok or not that great:

Trial of the Chicago 7
Mank
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
Hillbilly Elegy (just awful)
News of the World
Da Five Bloods

Next one I want to see is Minari.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Been a strange year with movies with COVID. So many big movies were pushed to this year from 2020. Still some really good ones out there though.

Promising Young Woman is FANTASTIC. Will be up for best actress (Mulligan very well could win) and best picture.

Nomadland won't be for everyone because of it's pace but I implore everyone to watch it. It's a true story and a glimpse of America that millions doesn't know even exists. Chloe Zhou is going to win Best Director in a walk in my opinion...some of the shots are jawdroppingly amazing. Frances McDormand is a slam dunk for Best Actress nom and could win her third. I think she just might. Frontrunner for best pic and cinematography as well. Best of the year in my eyes.

Movies getting a bunch of awards chatter that I really just thought were ok or not that great:

Trial of the Chicago 7
Mank
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
News of the World
Da Five Bloods

I really enjoyed News of the World. It's the only one on this list I've actually seen though. If nothing else I was able to see it in an actual movie theater, which was a nice feeling of familiarity.

Reactions: 2Xclone

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I really enjoyed News of the World. It's the only one on this list I've actually seen though. If nothing else I was able to see it in an actual movie theater, which was a nice feeling of familiarity.

I liked it too, but it's not deserving of all the awards talk to me. I liked Chicago 7 too but REALY don't see how people think it's best picture worthy.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Trial of the Chicago 7
Mank
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
News of the World
Da Five Bloods

'Hillbilly Elegy' reminded me of something you'd see made by the winner of 'Project Greenlight'.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
'Hillbilly Elegy' reminded me of something you'd see made by the winner of 'Project Greenlight'.

Right? And it was Ron Howard. He is possibly the most overrated director in the past three decades. He has far more misses than he does hits. I read Hillbilly Elegy and it's fantastic but when I heard he was directing it I knew he'd **** it up...and he did.

• Haha
Reactions: dirtyninety

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
i haven’t seen all of the documentaries but Boys state should be up there.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Right? And it was Ron Howard. He is possibly the most overrated director in the past three decades. He has far more misses than he does hits. I read Hillbilly Elegy and it's fantastic but when I heard he was directing it I knew he'd **** it up...and he did.

He gave me Willow and I will not take this Ron Howard slander.

• Haha
Reactions: dahliaclone

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

Trial of the Chicago 7 (Disagree. Solid A- movie)
Mank (haven't seen)
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (Agree. Awful)
Hillbilly Elegy (just awful) [Disagree. Very good. Solid B+ movie]
News of the World (haven't seen)
Da Five Bloods (haven't seen)

Trial of the Chicago 7 (Disagree. Solid A- movie)
Mank (haven't seen)
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (Agree. Awful)
Hillbilly Elegy (just awful) [Disagree. Very good. Solid B+ movie]
News of the World (haven't seen)
Da Five Bloods (haven't seen)

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
'Nomadland' is great. McDormand deserves every accolade she gets. And it features the music of my guy Ludovico Einaudi, beautiful stuff.

I wish I would have seen this by now....I am curious what the narrative is.
I haven't yet...but I should trust your endorsements. I'll pay for it if you can tell me: Do you feel good at the end or guilty and self-loathing? I mean, a lot of movies do make you feel bad at the end (and should...like all good war movies).
I suppose I'll watch the Golden Globe Hollywood Foreign Press British White dude pervert popularity contest tonight. I already feel unclean thinking about it....but I am fascinated how these otherwise vacuous people influence pop culture...and thus everything else downstream.
I do miss Jack Nicholson doing his thing....I want to party with you dude.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I wish I would have seen this by now....I am curious what the narrative is.
I haven't yet...but I should trust your endorsements. I'll pay for it if you can tell me: Do you feel good at the end or guilty and self-loathing? I mean, a lot of movies do make you feel bad at the end (and should...like all good war movies).
I suppose I'll watch the Golden Globe Hollywood Foreign Press British White dude pervert popularity contest tonight. I already feel unclean thinking about it....but I am fascinated how these otherwise vacuous people influence pop culture...and thus everything else downstream.
I do miss Jack Nicholson doing his thing....I want to party with you dude.

I'm no critic. @dahliaclone is your guy. I like compelling stories that are powerfully told. That's about it for me.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
My Golden Globe Awards movie predictions for tonight:

Best Movie Drama: Trial of Chicago 7 but look out for Nomadland and Promising Young Woman. I really want to pick Nomadland but not sure the Hollywood Foreign Press will go for it.
Best Movie Comedy/Musical: Borat or Hamilton...flip a coin.
Best Director: Chloe Zhao for Nomadland and anyone else winning will be an upset. Fincher #2
Best Actor Drama: Chadwick Bozeman for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom maybe Hopkins in The Father
Best Actress Drama: closest race by fan in any category. I'm going with Carey Mulligan but kind of think McDormand could surprise
Best Actor Comedy: Lin-Manuel Miranda for Hamilton
Best Actress Comedy: Maria Bakalova in Borat
Best Supporting Actor: Sacha Baron Cohen for Chicago 7
Best Supporting Actress: Glenn Close in Hillbilly Elegy
Best Screenplay: Everyone and their dog is saying Chicago 7 here and it's most likely but look out for Promising Young Woman and Nomadland
Best Animated Film: Soul in a walk

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don’t mean to crap on movies but sometimes I just don’t get what the fuss is about, and Nomadland definitely fits that for me.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Watched Nomadland last night and it absolutely pulled me in.
Frances McDormand can tell a story with a glance and it was used to perfection in the film.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
My Golden Globe Awards movie predictions for tonight:

Best Movie Drama: Trial of Chicago 7 but look out for Nomadland and Promising Young Woman. I really want to pick Nomadland but not sure the Hollywood Foreign Press will go for it.
Best Movie Comedy/Musical: Borat or Hamilton...flip a coin.
Best Director: Chloe Zhao for Nomadland and anyone else winning will be an upset. Fincher #2
Best Actor Drama: Chadwick Bozeman for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom maybe Hopkins in The Father
Best Actress Drama: closest race by fan in any category. I'm going with Carey Mulligan but kind of think McDormand could surprise
Best Actor Comedy: Lin-Manuel Miranda for Hamilton
Best Actress Comedy: Maria Bakalova in Borat
Best Supporting Actor: Sacha Baron Cohen for Chicago 7
Best Supporting Actress: Glenn Close in Hillbilly Elegy
Best Screenplay: Everyone and their dog is saying Chicago 7 here and it's most likely but look out for Promising Young Woman and Nomadland
Best Animated Film: Soul in a walk

right on about the director. Ashley Joens won best actress though. I think you got the majority correct with how the foreign press that lives in LA. voted. Hamilton got dissed. Gillian Anderson had a fake accent and Alec Baldwin said mean things to her.....I will stand by this forever: Alec Baldwin does not act, he just method-exposes who he is. He is really, really good in those parts too....see Glengary Glen Ross and others.

Reactions: dahliaclone

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
right on about the director. Ashley Joens won best actress though. I think you got the majority correct with how the foreign press that lives in LA. voted. Hamilton got dissed. Gillian Anderson had a fake accent and Alec Baldwin said mean things to her.....I will stand by this forever: Alec Baldwin does not act, he just method-exposes who he is. He is really, really good in those parts too....see Glengary Glen Ross and others.

That's what the Baylor coach kept telling the refs, too. ;)

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I really think Ms. McDormand will go down as certainly one of the (if not the) preeminent actresses of her generation. IDK if you call her a method actor, precisely, but the above poster is correct in saying that she relates more with less than almost any actress I've seen. She completely inhabits here characters, too.....I've loved her ever since Blood Simple. It didn't hurt that she had BF Joel Coen to help her career along.

Reactions: Angie

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I really think Ms. McDormand will go down as certainly one of the (if not the) preeminent actresses of her generation. IDK if you call her a method actor, precisely, but the above poster is correct in saying that she relates more with less than almost any actress I've seen. She completely inhabits here characters, too.....I've loved her ever since Blood Simple. It didn't hurt that she had BF Joel Coen to help her career along.

Blood Simple is still my favorite Coen movie...it's perfect.

McDormand is just so good in basically everything. Next up for her she's playing Lady Macbeth in an adaptation by, of course, the Coen's and alongside Denzel.