NFL: Osemele traded from Raiders to Jets

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
ESPN had an article on the Osemele article - featured quite prominently on their website - with more info on the trade to the Jets. I knew that he had graded out worse this past year; the question for the Jets is whether he will bounce back to be the Pro Bowler that he was in 2016 and 2017. Ol' Kelechi has a nice contract number from what I see in this article:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26219264/sources-raiders-trade-g-osemele-jets

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Browsing a Jets message board, a lot of talk about how he fits their scheme better than Oaklands. The Jets only had to give away a 5th round pick, and are also receiving a 6th round pick from Oakland via Chicago. Seems like a slam-dunk for the Jets

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Browsing a Jets message board, a lot of talk about how he fits their scheme better than Oaklands. The Jets only had to give away a 5th round pick, and are also receiving a 6th round pick from Oakland via Chicago. Seems like a slam-dunk for the Jets
Yeah, I'm sure it is an upgrade in terms of talent and what they gave up. Their calculation has to include his big salary though. He's been a good pro; let's hope he gets his health back.

Reactions: CloneGuy8

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Steve Serby of the NY Post says that trading for Osemele is part of an effort to have an upgraded line to protect Sam Darnold. And they hope to sign Leveon Bell. Some interesting quotes about Kelechi throughout the article (link: https://nypost.com/2019/03/11/the-jets-next-move-to-help-sam-darnold-just-became-clearer/

Here's the opening of the article:

The Jets began the free-agent frenzy by bolstering Sam Darnold’s enforcers up-front by trading for powerful Raiders guard Kelechi Osemele.

It is a good move — the Jets surrendered a fifth-round pick and acquired a sixth-rounder in the deal — because the mandate for GM Mike Maccagnan is to get Darnold to the next level and get the Jets to the playoffs for the first time since the 2010 AFC Championship game.

It has a chance to be a grand-slam home run if Maccagnan can convince Le’Veon Bell to take the money and run behind this nasty Road Grader.

I liked these two quotes:

When the 6-foot-5, 330-pound Osemele left the Ravens and signed a five-year, $58.5 million free-agent deal with the Raiders in 2016, QB Derek Carr gushed: “The first time I saw that guy, I couldn’t believe how big he was, not just how big he was because all offensive linemen are big, but that guy is jacked. … The guy is a freak of nature.”

“He’s just one of those nasty offensive linemen. He tries to dominate every play. You’re going to see guys getting pancaked and he’s standing over them. He’s kind of that mouthpiece out there, that headhunter that you want on the offensive line.”

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
Anyone else see that he was down to 296 pounds? He played around 330 at Oakland was was about 350 when he played for Iowa State

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
The moves the Jets are making I wouldn't be shocked if they can get to 8-8 range this next year. Adding 2 stud linebackers, Osemele and if they can get a good RB and WR in this draft or FA they could be in good shape for the next few years.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
I’m a raiders fan and was sad to see him go. Always nice having a cyclone on the team you root for. This off season he made an effort to get in shape. The past couple off seasons he wasn’t exactly busting it in the gym if you know what I mean. He paid for it this year, not coming into camp in shape. Got a couple injuries that bothered him all season.

He also had the worst online coach in the league to work for so that’s something too

• Winner
Reactions: stinkbaitcatfish

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The moves the Jets are making I wouldn't be shocked if they can get to 8-8 range this next year. Adding 2 stud linebackers, Osemele and if they can get a good RB and WR in this draft or FA they could be in good shape for the next few years.

I'm not sold on Gase as the head coach, but we'll see. Sure would be nice if anyone in that division could at least give the Pats a run.

• Agree
Reactions: chadly82

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I will never forget him just destroying OSU defenders on that final drive of the game. Hope this works out for KO, even though that seems like a stretch with the jets.