Oscars

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
The way they vote on best picture winner now with a preferential ballot it was gonna be Spotlight or Big Short without a doubt.

Happy for Spotlight but nowhere near the best of the year in my opinion. I will say basically all 8 of the best pic nominees were all good...can't remember the last time I honestly could see why any particular movie would win and be ok with any of them winning. Good year for movies.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
All the chicks dig Leo.

I am sort of "meh" on Leo. His eyes are amazing, but he just seems like such a doucher.

I will guess that he's laid more pipe than any Best Actor in history, however.

Other notes:

- I'm not the world's biggest Stallone fan, but I really think it would have been nice if he could have won Best Supporting.

- The Weeknd should have won best song. It was neither dull (like Smith) nor pandering (like Gaga - although the issue itself is important).

- It was cool to see Biden up there. I know Gore won an Oscar, but did he ever present? Have any other presidents/VPs?

- Cate Blanchett is just stunning, but her mouth reminds me a lot of a tree frog's. It is a little like her mouth is getting wider as she gets older:

Cate-Blanchett-Oscars-2016-Red-Carpet-Fashion-Armani-Prive-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-TLO-6.jpg

- Where the hell was Abe Vigoda during the memorial thing? It's not like he was in The Godfather or anything. :dull:

Last edited:

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
- Where the hell was Abe Vigoda during the memorial thing? It's not like he was in The Godfather or anything. :dull:

Yeah I was wondering that as well.

Also, I want to see Spotlight now.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Yeah I was wondering that as well.

Also, I want to see Spotlight now.

I really do, too. With kids, we almost never get out to see movies (with the exception of my husband making it to Deadpool a couple of weeks ago, and me getting Pride & Prejudice & Zombies). I've had that, The Big Short, and Room on my list for some time. I admit, I don't have a ton of interest in either Mad Max or The Revenant.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I really do, too. With kids, we almost never get out to see movies (with the exception of my husband making it to Deadpool a couple of weeks ago, and me getting Pride & Prejudice & Zombies). I've had that, The Big Short, and Room on my list for some time. I admit, I don't have a ton of interest in either Mad Max or The Revenant.

The Big Short and Sicario are also on my list. Don't know much about the Room. I did see both Mad Max and The Revenant. I can see how Mad Max might not be appealing to some people as it is a little weird (not sure how else to describe it).

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
I thought spotlight was really really boring - well acted, yes... but boring. There was nothing there that everybody did not already know. The big reveal of the movie was that there were a lot more priests molesting kids that they previously thought... ok... tell me something that I did not know.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Mad Max was awesome and very deserving of the Oscars that it won. Just a fantastic movie. I still can't believe the movie got made.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Mad Max was awesome and very deserving of the Oscars that it won. Just a fantastic movie. I still can't believe the movie got made.

Absolutely loved it. Probably the best time I had a the movies this year... well, maybe tied with Star Wars. Glad to see it getting recognized.

It looks like I'll need to rent Spotlight. I didn't know anything about that movie until last night. Must be great. Can't wait to see the Revenant too.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
So how was Pride & Prejudice & Zombies? I thought about seeing it and passed. Looked it it could be some mindless fun

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Buzz for next year's Oscars is already around this one...The Light Between Oceans. Haven't read the book but it was on the best-seller list forever. Everyone I've talked to that read it loved it. Looks great and love all three actors in it. Vikander could be getting an Oscar two years in a row...

[video=youtube;v5SOdK-9f_A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5SOdK-9f_A[/video]

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
So how was Pride & Prejudice & Zombies? I thought about seeing it and passed. Looked it it could be some mindless fun

I enjoyed it. :) I'm a big fan of Pride & Prejudice - but it's less relevant to those who like period dramas, and more relevant to those who like gore and action. It was a fun send-up - but it really diverged from the book version, which is fine. I will be getting it on DVD, for sure.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Buzz for next year's Oscars is already around this one...The Light Between Oceans. Haven't read the book but it was on the best-seller list forever. Everyone I've talked to that read it loved it. Looks great and love all three actors in it. Vikander could be getting an Oscar two years in a row...

[video=youtube;v5SOdK-9f_A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5SOdK-9f_A[/video]

She's in Jason Bourne too so she may be getting nominated twice when that movie blows everyone's minds.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
She really shouldn't have been put in supporting for her win last night in Danish Girl. That was a lead performance. She deserved that win though but also was just as good if not better in Ex Machina.