Info: Opting out of the politics board...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I dipped my toes in when the first pandemic thread was moved and I was trying to stay informed. I didn't last long.

I'm much happier "uninformed". Not that there was much informing happening there.
I dipped my toes in the off topic Covid thread before it was moved. The cave one is probably 100 times better with actual factual information.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Unfortunately, "politics" have seemed to permeate throughout CF. It is very unusual to find a thread these days that doesn't get derailed. Makes CF a little less valuable to me. :confused:

I mean that's 2-fold:

There's little sports to talk about
What there is to talk about is highly enmeshed with governmental response. And the discussion of governmental response to current events is also known as "politics"

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
If the cave starts seeping into this thread, I am going to lock it down. It will remain stickied at the top as it is meant to only be helpful. If y'all have questions pertaining to the issue or anything like that then fine, but we're not going to talk about politics here.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
If the cave starts seeping into this thread, I am going to lock it down. It will remain stickied at the top as it is meant to only be helpful. If y'all have questions pertaining to the issue or anything like that then fine, but we're not going to talk about politics here.
Pineapple on pizza? Yes or no.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I’ve wondered this too. Does the cave distract people from posting about sports stuff? I wonder if the cave was just banned, if sports chatter would pick up.

Going to be hard with covid.

Most of the football posting is automatically political, covid related football posts outnumber team analysis 200 to 1. Almost every post in a football thread where someone complains about politics comes from someone who doesn't realize they themselves are posting strong political opinions.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I never even dipped my toes in it. I know I'm crazy but I like at least a veneer of civility.

It's crazy how easy it is to get swept up in something on an anonymous chat board. In a blink of an eye, I find myself waist deep going deeper before realizing how incredibly stupid it is to engage. During the best of times I don't take the bait but now I'm calling it a win when I DO engage but recognize my foolishness (not brilliance!!!!!) in participating.

The world has enough really stupid opinions so I want to do my small part by not adding my really stupid opinions to the "conversation".

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
@JStanz51 I thought I followed the instructions, but I still see politics threads in the forums?
How long ago did you do it? I think on the old site it could take 10-15 minutes (that might be an exaggeration but it did take a while). You may also want to try logging out and logging back in.

I don't have any insider knowledge, but that's what I remember from the old site

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I appreciate @JStanz51 wanting to put up a PSA to help people opt-out of the Cave.

He reported the reason he wanted to do that, however, was because the staff has been receiving a high volume of complaints about how prominently the Cave features on the forum nowadays.

I think the effect the Cave has on CF (absent any political content) and the "culture" on the board is relevant.

I think that would depend on what time of the year we are in. Pretty slow sports wise (especially Iowa State related) this time of the year.

I do not doubt for a second that the interest and activity in the Cave relative to the sports boards ebbs and flows with both the sports and political calendars. There is definitely going to be some seasonality there, and late summer in an election year is probably going to be at its worst. But I still wonder what it is overall.

Unfortunately, "politics" have seemed to permeate throughout CF. It is very unusual to find a thread these days that doesn't get derailed. Makes CF a little less valuable to me. :confused:

I have noticed a lot more of this lately -- either threads taking a political turn OR bickering and hostility between certain posters spilling over into the sports threads. Posters making comments like, "Wow, you are just as much of a **** on the sports boards as you are in the Cave." I hate seeing such unfriendliness on here.

I know 2020 is the year from hell, but I want us all to be nice. :(

I mean that's 2-fold:

There's little sports to talk about
What there is to talk about is highly enmeshed with governmental response. And the discussion of governmental response to current events is also known as "politics"

You are not wrong plenty of the topics overlap -- see, to add to your list, the situation with the NBA today.

The issue for me is less the gray area between topics than just the nastiness it brings to the forum generally. I like my ISU sports to be happy, positive, fun, and family-friendly, not mixed with the worst of political Twitter.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I appreciate @JStanz51 wanting to put up a PSA to help people opt-out of the Cave.

He reported the reason he wanted to do that, however, was because the staff has been receiving a high volume of complaints about how prominently the Cave features on the forum nowadays.

I think the effect the Cave has on CF (absent any political content) and the "culture" on the board is relevant.

I do not doubt for a second that the interest and activity in the Cave relative to the sports boards ebbs and flows with both the sports and political calendars. There is definitely going to be some seasonality there, and late summer in an election year is probably going to be at its worst. But I still wonder what it is overall.

I have noticed a lot more of this lately -- either threads taking a political turn OR bickering and hostility between certain posters spilling over into the sports threads. Posters making comments like, "Wow, you are just as much of a **** on the sports boards as you are in the Cave." I hate seeing such unfriendliness on here.

I know 2020 is the year from hell, but I want us all to be nice. :(

You are not wrong plenty of the topics overlap -- see, to add to your list, the situation with the NBA today.

The issue for me is less the gray area between topics than just the nastiness it brings to the forum generally. I like my ISU sports to be happy, positive, fun, and family-friendly, not mixed with the worst of political Twitter.
You know I’ll always love you even though you bailed on me like a little ***** on meeting at the WVU game.

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone
Status
Not open for further replies.