Optimism for last years' redshirts

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
The redshirt FB players from last season seem to be creating some buzz, which has me excited for next year. Guys like Black, Baysinger, etc. could possibly have a big impact on the team next year. Also, does anybody know if Carper is gonna try to make a go of it this year, or is he done?

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
last i remember from a radio show or something, Carper might be ready by fall(might being the key word). i was under the impression that 2008 would be a wash for him as well.

MaxPower57

Mar 30, 2006
no, carper would have only been a junior this season so he still has eligibility. if he somehow does get on the field next year he can try for the medical redshirt and be a junior next year.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
Cameron Bell didn't red shirt but he, Curtiz Mathis, and Anthony Green will be getting some serious reps in at linebacker. Each one goes at least 230 so we will have some size at line backer for the first time in awhile.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The Roster on Cyclones.com has Bell at 233, Mathis at 236, and Green at 239. That is excellent size at the LB position. Will any of those guys be in the mix for starting spots? None of them were listed on the 2 deeps, Bibbs and Garrin were the backups at the outside spots.

It seems like Linebackers and D-Line are the most wide open spots, and the ones I'm most interested in now. I hope Bailey Johnson can continue to put on some weight and be a contributor. I thought he played well for an extremely undersized D-Lineman last year.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Cameron Bell didn't red shirt but he, Curtiz Mathis, and Anthony Green will be getting some serious reps in at linebacker. Each one goes at least 230 so we will have some size at line backer for the first time in awhile.

Let's just hope they have at least half as much of Bowen's heart to go with that size :yes:

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
i dont think carper will be back. i have heard more than once from more than one source that his career is over. this includes a friend of mine who is good friends with him from hs.

on another note, i couldnt be more pumped to see baysinger on the field. the dude is a monster!

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I think both Osemele and Baysinger will push to take over some minutes immediately. Also don't be so quick to call Wallace Franklin a bust. My brother talked to Wayne Bolt a couple weeks ago and Bolt said Franklin provided the defense with the most problems in practice.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
im also excited about randy kellman.

anyone know anything about aj matthews? he is listed as 201# 6'3" DB with 4.7 speed. that is great size for a safety but 4.7? move to LB maybe?

kurimski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
It's going to be really exciting to see what these guys can do after a full year in the system. It's going to be great to see a team that can get physical with everybody else and have some speed on the team as well. I look for big things from the linebackers this year.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Curtiz Mathis might be interesting as well. Kellman and Osemele are huge and hopefully make an impact somehow.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
I think both Osemele and Baysinger will push to take over some minutes immediately. Also don't be so quick to call Wallace Franklin a bust. My brother talked to Wayne Bolt a couple weeks ago and Bolt said Franklin provided the defense with the most problems in practice.

AMEN BROTHER.....

I've been preaching about Baysinger since we signed him....anybody remember the great Dallas Cowboys teams of the 90's well if this guy isnt a prototype Erik Williams i don't know what one would look like...hope he has that nasty side that you need to hand out the A** whoppins instead of takin them....

I was one of those huge Wallace Franklin supporters when we signed him and then he was a bust. Well, i'm looking at it from a different perspective...Last year our entire offense was learning the system, the reads routes etc....So our Jucos coming in had to learn just like everyone else - factor there being that when a system is in place and practice is going on, players can talk and help each other understand the system, last year, everyone was learning together so it slows down the process of communication and execution.

Now that said, i hope Franklin comes in at about 185-190 and still has the blazing speed, he's got speed, its durability i'm worried about. And now with us losing Graham, Franklin may be a bigger role. And from one of Clones33's post from last season, he indicated that Franklin and Arnaud are friends, I think that you will see a bunch more over the top throws this year with Arnaud. His delivery seems so much more effortless then did Meyer (and i'm not hatin on meyer) i just think Arnaud has a much more lively arm. I think of the K-state game and he threw that deep in to Blythe, that was a big time throw, accurate, 40+ yards on a line, that really shows the arm strength that was lacking in the passing game. We cannot afford to throw the rainbow 40 yard pass plays in our conference, those are either picked off or batted down by the safety.

I'm excited to see big Trey in pads and crackin some skulls, he will be a bookend tackle for the next 4 years.

We need Bo.............

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
I think it will be really interesting to see how much more the OL can develop this year. There are going to be some flat out battles for starting spots next year between Lamaak, Blaes, Schemling, Baysinger, Osemele, Stephens, Johnson, Dedrick, and Alvarez. This is going to be a very deep line and the year Stephens is a senior that might be the best OL that ISU has ever had. These guys will work their tails off and make each other better. It is going to be exciting to see who comes out on top.