Opening Dual vs Wartburg Thread

bustamoveisu

Sep 8, 2012
Seems like the coaches have a connection to that school. We weren't wrestling that team, so who cares?
Please tell me you aren't serious.....cuz it's so normal for someone w/ your hated rival's gear to be sporting it in your huddle, sideline, bench, etc...

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Ok, I don't know a lot about wrestling, other than ISU is, or used to be a "blue blood" type program. Question - How does wrestling compare to basketball or football when it comes to the difference in talent between division 3 and division 1?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Ok, I don't know a lot about wrestling, other than ISU is, or used to be a "blue blood" type program. Question - How does wrestling compare to basketball or football when it comes to the difference in talent between division 3 and division 1?
Big thing to understand is that colleges get 9.9 scholarships to divide amongst the whole team. So you can’t even have the 10 starters on full (very close but not quite) rides.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Please tell me you aren't serious.....cuz it's so normal for someone w/ your hated rival's gear to be sporting it in your huddle, sideline, bench, etc...
You said that the "kid was hanging around the ISU bench". Seems like our coaches are privy to that area. I agree it isn't a "good look", but it seems like the coaches would handle that issue instead of an "ISU official". Not trying to be an ***, I wasn't there so don't know anymore than what you reported (like the age of the "kid"). Guess I don't think you can control what people wear to sporting events.

Side note: Head official's son was wearing the stocking cap. :oops:

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
My guess is that Wartburg would have trouble getting duals against other D1 schools because they would beat a nice little chunk of them or at least give them more than what they wanted to handle.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My guess is that Wartburg would have trouble getting duals against other D1 schools because they would beat a nice little chunk of them or at least give them more than what they wanted to handle.
Wartburg gets several D1 wrestlers who drop down. They also get guys who don’t have the grades to make D1. Lower level champs used to get invited to the D1 championship so there was a road to it at a lower level. There is some good talent there, just spotty.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Thank you to Kevin Dresser as the product continues to improve. Many positives.....most impressed w/ Cam Robinson. Most disappointed in Broderson...was excited to see him and he got kicked. 165lbs will be problem and definitely a weakness. Too bad Carr doesn't man the weight and Robinson to 157. He would be small, but he was a tough SOB today. If Small makes it to 133, then we will have 3 horses there. What was up w/ the kid standing around the ISU bench w/ a Hawkeye stocking cap? An ISU official finally went over to tell him to remove it. I think his dad might have been the head referee for the meet, but it was so inappropriate.

you have a screenshot?

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
You said that the "kid was hanging around the ISU bench". Seems like our coaches are privy to that area. I agree it isn't a "good look", but it seems like the coaches would handle that issue instead of an "ISU official". Not trying to be an ***, I wasn't there so don't know anymore than what you reported (like the age of the "kid"). Guess I don't think you can control what people wear to sporting events.

Side note: Head official's son was wearing the stocking cap. :oops:

Who were the officials for the meet?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Maybe it was a recruit. Some of those Hawkeye recruits are not bright. Remember Woodbury wearing a Hawkeye T-shirt to his Iowa state visit with hoiberg?

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
Couldn't go or watch. Was Broderick losing, especially the way he did, a surprise? I didn't see it coming. Still have high hopes for him.

Good to have wrestling back! Thanks for the updates.
Not many times you will run into a rider of that caliber in the mid to upper weights. Hard to imitate that in practice and I'm sure was a bit overwhelming to finally feel him on top. Looked like he was sucking some wind towards the end as well. Learn and improve. He will be fine, still high hopes for him.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Maybe it was a recruit. Some of those Hawkeye recruits are not bright. Remember Woodbury wearing a Hawkeye T-shirt to his Iowa state visit with hoiberg?
I remember going to school and there was always a few kids that would wear Iowa gear on campus. You know they were doing it because they thought they were being so clever. No different than any other fan base. But maybe that would explain why the ref (iowa fan??) wasn't too quick to call stalling :jimlad:

Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not many times you will run into a rider of that caliber in the mid to upper weights. Hard to imitate that in practice and I'm sure was a bit overwhelming to finally feel him on top. Looked like he was sucking some wind towards the end as well. Learn and improve. He will be fine, still high hopes for him.
Didn’t he wrestle 195 in HS? Is 74 a big cut for him?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I remember going to school and there was always a few kids that would wear Iowa gear on campus. You know they were doing it because they thought they were being so clever. No different than any other fan base. But maybe that would explain why the ref (iowa fan??) wasn't too quick to call stalling :jimlad:
If what the poster said was true, it seems off. I doubt refs get to bring a posse into meets with the Covid situation. I also doubt they get to have them hang out right behind the home bench like it was mentioned, also hard to believe a ref would let his kid west any team stuff inside to avoid any wild accusations that he may show bias. All seems a little off. Also weird that nobody else has mentioned this. The one who mentioned it needs to present a photo because if he was that worked up about it then I’m sure he took a photo.

Reactions: crablegs