Opening Dual vs Wartburg Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
For a wrestling noob, what’s the major difference between the styles that Bastida used to wrestle compared to now?
In freestyle it’s mostly on your feet. You get about 5-10 seconds to turn the person and then it’s back to your feet. You can get 2-4 points for a takedown. If you push the opponent out of the circle you get a point. Mat wrestling is very weak many times since it’s mostly takedowns.

• Informative
Reactions: CloneinWDSM

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Freestyle, there is no riding time. Mostly wrestled on your feet. All you have to do is tilt your opponents shoulders past 90° for 2. Feet to back takedowns 4 or 5 points. Can lock hands.

Yep, and if you roll all the way through on top it’s 2 points so if you can gator roll them it’s over in about 15 seconds.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Bastida does not look at all like what you’d expect from a foreigner coming in and learning folk. He’s aggressive, has good conditioning, and is a decent rider. This is so surprising, and I’m honestly not sure what to take from it.

i expect a decent amount of wins

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
For a wrestling noob, what’s the major difference between the styles that Bastida used to wrestle compared to now?
It’s two different animals. Like American football and rugby is the only thing I can think of. If your tough and quick and conditioned some of it will transfer well but the rules are completely different in like every way.

That kid is going to be a blast watching develop. He’s definitely got some WTF kind of losses coming simply because there’s things he needs to work on and learn the rules (hence that full Nelson call lol) but holy Christ he is athletic and a monster from the neutral position.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Couldn't go or watch. Was Broderick losing, especially the way he did, a surprise? I didn't see it coming. Still have high hopes for him.

Good to have wrestling back! Thanks for the updates.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Couldn't go or watch. Was Broderick losing, especially the way he did, a surprise? I didn't see it coming. Still have high hopes for him.

Was wrestling a 4th year senior that is rated 1 or 2. The move that led to the 4 point near fall is correctable. Did get rode hard. He will be okay

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009

I think he has the tools to be damn good. Just need to work on the gas tank. Although I was very happy with conditioning of the team overall.

Reactions: ca4cy

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Was wrestling a 4th year senior that is rated 1 or 2. The move that led to the 4 point near fall is correctable. Did get rode hard. He will be okay
Edit: I thought I had quoted the whole thread above and this was in reply to a Broderson vs Briggs match thread: The Wartburg senior he wrestled name was Briggs. Some of you might remember that name when you think of a previous UNI wrestling coach.... he's a nephew, I think. Not a bad loss because that was a really good wrestler. Broderson's start is not unlike our Football teams start this year vs the Ragin Cajuns. I think he'll improve from here on out.

Last edited:

bustamoveisu

Sep 8, 2012
Thank you to Kevin Dresser as the product continues to improve. Many positives.....most impressed w/ Cam Robinson. Most disappointed in Broderson...was excited to see him and he got kicked. 165lbs will be problem and definitely a weakness. Too bad Carr doesn't man the weight and Robinson to 157. He would be small, but he was a tough SOB today. If Small makes it to 133, then we will have 3 horses there. What was up w/ the kid standing around the ISU bench w/ a Hawkeye stocking cap? An ISU official finally went over to tell him to remove it. I think his dad might have been the head referee for the meet, but it was so inappropriate.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
What was up w/ the kid standing around the ISU bench w/ a Hawkeye stocking cap? An ISU official finally went over to tell him to remove it. I think his dad might have been the head referee for the meet, but it was so inappropriate.
What the hell? Where you there or did you see it on TV? No way dresser would be ok with that

Reactions: Scott34