Onside kick...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Where it all went wrong today is when we tried the onside kick.... I understand trying to catch Iowa off guard but that was totally uncalled for.

On top of that Banks did not need to be selfish and get the personal foul..... He was getting worked and got ******.....

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
How about putting this in one of the other threads. Cool?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Bull. I think it was a decent move. Up until then the defense was playing very well. And it was totally unexpected. We simply do not execute the play legally and getting the ball. It was kicked well.

Our issues were being inept on offense and making stupid turnovers/penalties.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
Where it all went wrong today is when we tried the onside kick.... I understand trying to catch Iowa off guard but that was totally uncalled for.

On top of that Banks did not need to be selfish and get the personal foul..... He was getting worked and got ******.....

Banks was getting worked on that play? Really?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
...I bet the same people whining about this were the same ones who said that Mac and Chizik were too conservative. The following personal foul was a bigger change in momentum.

Reactions: j4state

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I really liked the play call. We were playing against a better team. Try to make something happen. Not like it cost us the game.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I like the try for an onside. Probably the only play call I liked all day actually.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
So what i am getting at is if the defense was playing fairly well why not kick it deep and make them go 70-80-90 yards instead of 40-50 yards? The risk at that point is not worth the reward at that point IMHO. After Iowa got the ball after the onside kick it was mostly all downhill from there.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Wouldn't have made a difference. Even if we had recovered the on side kick, with the sort of day we were having, we would throw an interception on the very next play.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Wouldn't have made a difference. Even if we had recovered the on side kick, with the sort of day we were having, we would throw an interception on the very next play.

Another reason this thread should go in the "duh" file. The onside kick was the least of our worries.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
That is exactly what it said to both teams.

Did the reverse pass say that to NDSU, too? We won 2 freaking games last year. We tried to make something happen.

You really think that changed our players' mental status and is the reason we lost by 32 points and have not scored a TD in this series since 2006?

Reactions: Angie

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
It's not a good move because you risk losing the lead, and you're at home, and it's early in the game and you have the momentum at the moment. Your defense has already gotten you the ball twice without giving up a score. I am sure the strategy going into the game was to make Iowa work with a long field. This o/s kick, goes against that strategy. If you are on the road, trailing and it's getting late, you need to take some risk to try and make something happen. It was the game's turning point. It was a high risk move in a situation that did not seem to justify taking that risk. I know, I have hindsight, but I was screaming at my wife in protest as soon as I saw what it was. We may well have lost even without that attempt - but they probably would have beaten us with 7 fewer points in that event.