"One Shining Moment" No Longer sung by Vandross

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Totally embarassing. Who on earth thought of this idea? CBS is trying to ruin the tourney with their horrible coverage, bastardizing one shining moment, and don't get me even started on Clark Kellog. Good thing tourney is so awesome not even CBS can ruin it.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Thoughts on "One Shining Moment" from last night?

I referenced it earlier today in a different thread, but it seems like no one liked Jennifer Hudson's rendition of "One Shining Moment" last night.

I don't have many issues with her vocal performance or how she sang it, but I do have to wonder why they felt the need to show her face five different times during the song. They left out teams like Ohio beating Georgetown and Evan Turner, only the freakin' National Player of the Year so they could show her. Why?

Here's an interesting link to the controversy, as well as her version on a YouTube video...

One Dull Moment

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
Re: Thoughts on "One Shining Moment" from last night?

Just awful. The highlight is supposed to be on the players and the moments of the greatest tournament in sports.. not her putting her own spin with extended notes and solos to show what a great singer she is.

that and Clark Kellogg.. and CBS somehow delivered a crap performance on one of the best games of all time.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL

I'm still mad CBS didn't have Gus call the championship game.. I just wanted to hear him yell during the last second, half court shot.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
It still shocks me that people actually care so much about this.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
It still shocks me that people actually care so much about this.

Why does it shock you? When done well (which it wasn't Monday night), it's a perfectly done ending to what is IMO the best sporting event in America (at least until they go to 96 teams). It captures all the highs and lows of the tournament, and it's fun to see all the big shots get replayed.

The only thing that saved it from being a complete trainwreck for me was being able to see UNI again for a few seconds. Hopefully CBS will see the error of their ways and focus more on basketball instead of Jennifer Hudson's dome next season.

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco

Just awful. The highlight is supposed to be on the players and the moments of the greatest tournament in sports.. not her putting her own spin with extended notes and solos to show what a great singer she is.

that and Clark Kellogg.. and CBS somehow delivered a crap performance on one of the best games of all time.

I said it earlier, and maybe I'm off. But, I think the reason for the new rendition and extended notes is two-fold. They are trying to make the song longer, so they can add more highlights, and it's hard to have Luther extend his version from the grave. I really didn't hate the version, but I did not need to see her at all during the highlights. In my defense (?), I didn't really get to see much of the tourney, so most of the highlights were good/new to me...

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM

I said it earlier, and maybe I'm off. But, I think the reason for the new rendition and extended notes is two-fold. They are trying to make the song longer, so they can add more highlights, and it's hard to have Luther extend his version from the grave. I really didn't hate the version, but I did not need to see her at all during the highlights. In my defense (?), I didn't really get to see much of the tourney, so most of the highlights were good/new to me...

The other issue is that there was a ton of teams missing from the highlights... the most glaring omission being the Xavier K-State game.

See, this is why they should have had 2pac do one shining moment to begin with. he's had what, 10 cds come out since he died? would have been easy to extend his version from the grave :jimlad:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
A few years ago on American Idol some chick remade Home Sweet Home by Motley Crue. It was horrible.
Does anyone else feel like the NCAA and CBS is hellbent on ruining the greatest tourny on earth?
It's about the players. No need to show Jennifer Hudson (Who is a great singer) during the montage. None. Show the players and the great plays and the blood sweat and tears.

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
Yes i agree they completely ruined one shinning moment. It was classic with Vandross and it really showcased the players, now it just seemed like a music video for Jennifer Hudson. Lame.:no:

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
here. this is what we all wanted. the only remix that seems to be matched to the tip, shot, etc. and of course, no jennifer hudson.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJBHnInDrLY"]YouTube - 2010 One Shining Moment - Luther Vandross (Original)[/ame]

Reactions: BigSkyCy2

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
I have nothing against Jennifer Hudson, and she is obviously a talented performer. Unfortunately, that is how her rendition came off to me i.e. just a performance.

What I found missing was all of the emotion, passion, exhilaration, and heart-break of the game and the tourney that the original version expressed so very well. I am prone to suspect this may be the difference of one performer having actually played the game of basketball vs the other never having done so.

Luther seemed to feel the words when he sung them. Jennifer was not able to do that at all. She obviously had a nearly impossible mission and that begs the question again, "why would CBS mess with something that was already done right?"