On to next year

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Bummer. Agree with the sentiment of wanting to see this freshman class through. Just don’t lose Lexi or Emily.
Next year loses all of its excitement and momentum if Ryan or Lexi also left. I don’t even want to think about that. The program was in a great spot with a very bright future heading into next year before Kylie transferred. Hopefully it stops there..

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
I didn’t miss a game. He was a little more lenient on that but he must’ve done something wrong for her to transfer out of the blue like this because she seemed to love Iowa State.
Don't have an issue with the way BF coaches, but he is definitely more lenient with some over others. Makes sense because those people are very talented but might play into this transfer.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
So you have zero idea why but it must be Bill's fault? Great logic....
I hate to break it to you but when a player transfers, it’s usually because of something the head coach did. If a player is fully happy with their role, PT, etc, they aren’t leaving. She had the PT so I’m guessing she thought she should have had a bigger role on offense than she did.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Just a theory here, but some players do transfer because this is not the right *level* of basketball for them (Ashley Arlen comes to mind). Kylie did have the the worst shooting percentages in almost every category of anyone getting more than 20 minutes per game. It might be about CBF, but it's not always about the coach.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Legacy lost. It's hard to get a perspective on this move. Hope she finds a great place to land..Best of luck Kylie, I am a big fan, and remain so.

Reactions: NWICY

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I think we are all puzzled
I don’t want to put the blame on Bill though without knowing the whole situation. I speculated on that earlier but he could’ve done everything right and she just wasn’t happy here. Who really knows but like you said, I’m very puzzled by this. I was excited to see this freshman class for 4 years. So disappointed that it’s already over after 1 season.

Reactions: acoustimac

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Any hints about the 2021-2 OOC schedule?

Iowa, Drake, some SEC team and bunch of cupcakes? ;) The afore mentioned givens will make it at least a decent non-conference. Will have Iowa at Hilton, SEC, may or maybe not.

Last couple years weren't too bad though, the South Dakota teams were good mid-majors for sure (better than half the Big 12 teams). Will be interesting to see if schools want to lean into travel for non-conference and holiday or other December tournaments somewhere.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Iowa, Drake, some SEC team and bunch of cupcakes? ;) The afore mentioned givens will make it at least a decent non-conference. Will have Iowa at Hilton, SEC, may or maybe not.

Last couple years weren't too bad though, the South Dakota teams were good mid-majors for sure (better than half the Big 12 teams). Will be interesting to see if schools want to lean into travel for non-conference and holiday or other December tournaments somewhere.
Drake @ Knapp Center this year? Couldn't go two years ago, as I was travelling home that day.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Just a theory here, but some players do transfer because this is not the right *level* of basketball for them (Ashley Arlen comes to mind). Kylie did have the the worst shooting percentages in almost every category of anyone getting more than 20 minutes per game. It might be about CBF, but it's not always about the coach.
Arlen's "level" was one that does not fly to games. She was deathly afraid of it.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
From ISU Daily WBB beat writer Megan Teske...

It's safe to say all the remaining freshmen will stay.

The article is long so I just copy-paste the content about the offseason here.

After the season ended, the Cyclones had two weeks off, then it’s back to work for the team.

Ryan said the team is excited to get back to work, and she said they need to get better both as a team and individually to set themselves up for a successful season next year.

For Donarski, individual improvement means focusing on finishing and ball-handling.

“Those are two areas that can really benefit me if I’m able to get better at them during the offseason,” Donarski said.

While Ryan and Donarski have their individual goals for improvement over the offseason, Fennelly also has some things he’d like to see improve.

Fennelly said taking better care of the ball and individual on-ball defense are two things he wants to see get better in the offseason.

Now that the freshmen have all had a season under their belts with three returning (Feuerbach entered the transfer portal), Cheryl Miller Award winner Ashley Joens is coming back as a senior along with Izzi Zingaro, who is part of the incoming freshman class. Having joined the team early, it wouldn’t be a surprise if expectations are even higher for the Cyclones come next season.

Fennelly said he believes expectations will go up, but with all the transfers and players getting an extra year, it will be hard to quantify by how much.

Although the Cyclones will be a year older, Fennelly said other teams will be a year older as well.

Ryan also believes expectations will be higher for Iowa State because any time a team gets older, you’re supposed to be better, but she said getting better is not a given.

“You gotta work to get better, even though you are older, it’s not a guarantee you’re gonna be any better unless you put in the work,” Ryan said. “We have a lot to work on this offseason, and that will have to determine how we live up to expectations next year.”

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I hope our team has a great off-season by working hard and having fun. I can't wait to see a great improvement come next season.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Enough with the negativity of this KF transfer thing. Let's focus on the players who still want to be here.

The CyloneMBB Twitter posted a nice video hosted by George Conditt. I took a screenshot of him interacting with our WBB players. It appears things are gradually getting back to normal at the Sukup. Hopefully, both teams can now fully support each other and have a great offseason in training and developing chemistry.

eWv2op.jpg

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
MEM's mom just tweeted a nice photo of Maggie with Jake Sullivan with a compliment. I hope Maggie can stay healthy and play her heart out for the CyclONEnation for the rest of her college career.

Look at Maggie's sweatshirt "WE ARE FEMALE ATHLETES"
thumbs-up.png

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
MEM's mom just tweeted a nice photo of Maggie with Jake Sullivan with a compliment. I hope Maggie can stay healthy and play her heart out for the CyclONEnation for the rest of her college career.

thumbs-up.png

everyone should have his work ethic.

• Winner
Reactions: ISU71

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

thumbs-up.png

Wow, been over 20 years now since watching him play in the HS tournament up here in Minnesota. Still remember one game because of the way he played. He had the shooters reputation but kept feeding a red hot teammate the entire game, which impressed me. Can't remember the other kids name, went on to play at UNI.

And good to see Espenmiller-McGraw out of her boot.