On to next year

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Getting a transfer to ISU next season, is it considered a MUST or a BONUS?

Since the 2020-2021 college WBB season is almost over, I just want to turn my attention to the off-season player movement more. Right now with over 750 NCAA WBB D1 players in the transfer portal, including nearly 150 from P5 schools and around 250 grad transfers, do you folks think it's a MUST that we land an immediate impact player (especially a post player) so we can have a better chance to challenge Baylor and Texas in the Big12, beat TOE and go deeper into the postseason next season? Or are we just fine to stay put by relying on current players' development and treat adding of a transfer as a BONUS? I mean, with such a huge pool of players in the transfer portal, there got to be a few impactful players who fit in our system and our IowaStateWay culture and want to play in front of loyal fans at Hilton. I'm sure the coaching staff is keeping close eyes on the transfer market, I'm just wondering the level of necessity the coaching staff is on in regards to getting a transfer player. I appreciate y'all chiming in.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Speaking of posts, didn't see Anna Prins mentioned. She had such bad luck with injuries and never seemed to be able to reach her potential till her senior year. Not sure everyone remembers how well she finished up when she got a chance to be healthy her senior year. Finished with 23 points in the NCAA lost to Georgia while Poppins had a double-double.

Lots of potential. Not a bruiser at all. Good three point shot (always a threat). That "health" bug just kept her a step behind.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Charlie Creme's Way-Too-Early Top 25

He has ISU at #12. Here's the entire list.

1. Connecticut
2. South Carolina
3. Stanford
4. Baylor
5. Maryland
6. Louisville
7. Indiana
8. North Carolina State
9. Iowa
10. Oregon
11. Michigan
12. Iowa State
13. Ohio State
14. Kentucky
15. Oregon State
16. West Virginia
17. Florida State
18. Tennessee
19. South Florida
20. Georgia Tech
21. Michigan State
22. Texas A&M
23. Virginia Tech
24. Notre Dame
25. South Dakota

Also considered: UCLA, BYU, Florida Gulf Coast

12. Iowa State Cyclones

With three freshman starters and a bunch of injuries, coach Bill Fennelly was still able to produce a 17-11 record and a win in the NCAA tournament. Ashley Joens (24.2 PPG) is one of the country's best players and will be back for her senior year with a chance to become the Cyclones' all-time leading scorer. Kylie Feuerbach, Emily Ryan and Big 12 Freshman of the Year Lexi Donarski are a rookie core that will look to take Iowa State to the next level as sophomores.

Link to the article

2020-21 USA TODAY/WBCA Top 25 Coach's Poll (Final)

Last edited:

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I really can’t believe this one. This freshman class had the potential to do unreal things in Ames. Sad to see it fall apart after just one (good) year. She was going to have an even bigger role next year with Wise graduating. Most important thing going forward now is making sure the rest of the roster returns. It would be devastating to lose any of the other 3 starters who have eligibility remaining. (Not counting Scott because I assume she won’t return.)

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
This sucks. Maybe she wants to go somewhere she's a bigger percentage of the offense. Maybe she wants to be closer to home. Maybe she doesn't like BF's coaching style. No matter the reason, it really sucks for us.
To bad. I have zero inside info, just observation. I think she has an issue with Bills intensity

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Absolutely stunned by this. The timing coincides with post season meetings where they set expectations for off season and the coming year.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
To bad. I have zero inside info, just observation. I think she has an issue with Bills intensity

that would surprise me. Every player coming into the program...into ANY program...knows the college coaches are intense. I don’t know of any that aren’t.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
How can som

How can someone not see Bill's intensity before they come to school here. I do not get that. If you do your homework, which I would think you would to pick where you want to accept a scholarship should you really be surprised with Bill's intensity?

Reactions: acoustimac

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
She will be a big loss, brought intensity and toughness that didn't always show in the box score. I admittedly did scratch my head and wonder what she was thinking when BF moved her in and out of the lineup at times for Aubrey Jones.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Any chance Maddie Wise has decided to come back, add in a Healthy Maggie E and there is 3 ladies playing for that spot. Have no idea, just thinking outloud.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Bummer. Agree with the sentiment of wanting to see this freshman class through. Just don’t lose Lexi or Emily.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
did you watch this year? Coach let players play through more errors than I’ve ever seen before.
I didn’t miss a game. He was a little more lenient on that but he must’ve done something wrong for her to transfer out of the blue like this because she seemed to love Iowa State.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm