On to Kansas Week Thread

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
If you listen/watch the latest podcast from the 2 Chris' on Iowa Everywhere, Hassel said that the Big 12 basically has lower tiered refs because they don't have the $$ that the Big 10 or the SEC has to compensate them. And he wasn't saying that because he's an Iowa fan. That crap goes out the window when he's on the podcasts. I really enjoy listening to those two
Hard pass.

• Winner
Reactions: Snydes

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Knowing is one thing...putting yourself in harms way like that isn't easy. Point I'm trying to make is I don't think Hunter should have made that particular throw. I know X is amazing and easy to want to throw to, but Hunter needed to show some better perception there IMO.
Apparently there wasn't enough sarcasm dripping off of my post...

• Friendly
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

IowaState88

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2022
You bring up a great point about the TE's. I'm not an expert with regards to blocking schemes, so won't comment as to how they could or should be doing there, but they have not been super active as a pass catching group. Flashes from Hanika, as Dekkers seem to look for him in the red zone, but that has been it so far. Long season yet, so I won't push the panic button on them, but it has been a considerable step down from what we've come to expect.
Agreed - Hanika has had a couple nice plays but for how much the TE group is on the field they haven’t been productive or beneficial to say the least.

The group as a whole vs both Iowa and Baylor - the two solid defenses we have played thus far - have had a combined 2 catches for 13 yards. Not good, especially in an office that utilizes a lot of short to intermediate passes on early downs, which are situations TEs should thrive in.

Bruns, who is an expert on blocking and blocking schemes has been somewhat critical of the group so far on his reaction podcasts. Improvement is certainly needed for how much they are on the field. If they’re not gonna catch passes or block well, then what are they doing on the field? I get that’s the offense CMC and staff likes to run, and it has worked in the past, but that was with a group of high level TEs.

Hoping for improvement! I think the Kansas State game will be big for these guys.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Will be there. Very c0ncerned for this game. KU does things on offense I've not seen before and I hope we don't get burned early. Playing from behind, although the team can do it, would be tough. And why is this their homecoming game? I enjoy talking to opposing fans, but the bandwagon variety I can do without. Thanks for letting me vent, and Go Cyclones!

Old87

Sep 30, 2012
Here’s hoping that the offense put extra effort into working on finishing drives this week. Looking back on the Iowa and Baylor games, too many drives ended with a first and goal and no points or a field goal.

83cy

May 14, 2006
Agree, he got blown past by Dillon freaking Doyle. That TD was super cringe.

Hopefully the spy is Malik Verdon, but if it has to be a true LBer, maybe Gerry Vaughn.
I don't think that's a speed issue, he bit on the play action.