On to Football Season

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I don't like these huge conferences that don't feel like a conference at all. I liked the old big 10 with 10 teams. I didn't mind them adding PSU and then Nebraska, but hated the addition of Maryland and Rutgers.

I'd enjoy every second of it if I were you. I'm extremely jealous of you guys getting to play weak schedules and getting easy wins

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I think ISU will find it's way to 5-7 somehow. UNI, SJS, and KU should be wins. Tech, WV and KSt at home later in the year when hopefully the team is more in synch with new staff and systems - get 2 of 3 there. Maybe they bag Texas or Iowa on the road, although not likely imho. I think they have an outside shot at a bowl game. They weren't as far away from competent last year as the record looked.

The O-line is THE major concern as others have stated. If the staff can assemble anything like a decent line, the other parts are there. The defense might be really salty. Stay tuned.

As for Iowa, I expect they should be better as a team (more experience) but have a worse record. They really caught a lot of breaks last year.

Just looked at their schedule, god almighty. Anyone with a pulse they have at home! NW, Wisky, Mich, Nebby. Their road games are a chum bucket of Ill, Rutgers, Minny, Purdue, and Penn St. And they avoid the best 2 teams in the conference AGAIN. There just aren't any games where you would pencil in "L". But there are some tossups. Nine or ten wins seems likely. That's my 5 minutes of in-depth analysis.

Michigan will be most people's early pick as the second best team in the B1G, we play them.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I'd enjoy every second of it if I were you. I'm extremely jealous of you guys getting to play weak schedules and getting easy wins

Well that has really only happened once and that was last year. Not saying they haven't had easy schedules in the past, but they have failed to take advantage of them or weren't good enough to take advantage of them like they did last year. This year is another opportunity and we will see how they do.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
4 Wins for us, 9 wins for Iowa. Only difference being SOS, per usual.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'd love to be able to dodge Baylor and Oklahoma for the next few years and replace them with a couple of cupcake teams, that's for sure.

Once the Big 12 expands you'll get your wish and more of those cake schedules you enjoyed all those years before 1/3 of the conference bailed.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
If we could play iowa's football schedule, it wouldn't be a dream.

lol, you keep telling yourself that. You can't get beat by toledo or kansas st and then tell me that you'd do really well against Iowa's schedule. Well, I guess you could tell me that, I'd just laugh at you.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I forgot I was talking to a Big 12 team that doesn't care about defense. My bad.

That tough Big 10 defense sure looked great in the Rose Bowl. Maybe the Big 10 just plays uninspired, boring offense? No way that could be possible.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
lol, you keep telling yourself that. You can't get beat by toledo or kansas st and then tell me that you'd do really well against Iowa's schedule. Well, I guess you could tell me that, I'd just laugh at you.

Wasn't ISU better than over half of Iowa's regular season schedule last year according to Sagarin?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Like Iowa, ISU doesn't always take advantage of games that should be easy wins. I'm still very jealous of Iowa getting to play soft schedules so often

That was pre-2015/2016... or as I like to call it, B.C.B. (Before CJ Beathard). It's a new era.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
That tough Big 10 defense sure looked great in the Rose Bowl. Maybe the Big 10 just plays uninspired, boring offense? No way that could be possible.

The "Big 12 plays no defense" myth has been busted over and over, football AND basketball. I love people that say it's lack of defense instead of giving credit for being one of if not the best offensive conference.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
I can remember some favorable ISU schedules in mid 2000s where they avoided OK and Texas. Just the way it works in these giant conferences. I for one am not a fan and wish they would have stopped at 12 teams.
If I remember correctly, ISU always had to play 1 of the 2 each year. I don't remember ever not having OU or UT on their schedule.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Toledo would have been Iowa's third best win last season behind Wisconsin and Northwestern

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
If I remember correctly, ISU always had to play 1 of the 2 each year. I don't remember ever not having OU or UT on their schedule.

The old south rotation was

OU
Texas
Texas Tech

OSU
aTm
Baylor

KU and ISU were the only teams that had Texas AND OU in the same part of the rotation. Those off years also coincided with Danny Mac's better years and KU's Orange Bowl season.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yeah, I think Iowa would have beaten Toledo too.

Maybe. But to say ISU wouldn't do anything with Iowa's schedule because they blew a game against Toledo when Toledo would have been the third hardest team on Iowa's regular season schedule is stupid. I think even Rhoads would have for sure gotten to a bowl game with that schedule last year and that's saying something

Reactions: carvers4math

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Maybe. But to say ISU wouldn't do anything with Iowa's schedule because they blew a game against Toledo when Toledo would have been the third hardest team on Iowa's regular season schedule is stupid. I think even Rhoads would have for sure gotten to a bowl game with that schedule last year and that's saying something

I wouldn't say for sure.

Last edited: