On That Note: The Good the Bad and the Ugly

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Anyone put down Van Halen's "You're No Good" yet?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I was never that big of a Puff Daddy fan. I tended toward the west coast in the east/west rivalry, but this is a good song. 2Pac is so much better though. ;)

Puff Daddy - Bad Boy 4 Life

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
One of my all time favorite bands. This is off their newest album, which has quite a few good songs on it. Even if it's not the same level as albums of the past.

Of course for the video they have to look straight out of 1972

The Strokes - Bad Decisions

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Love Black Lips. A great example of that Lo-Fi dirty rock sound that's one of my favorite sounds ever. **** that sounds straight out of the 1970s like The Strokes.

Black Lips - Bad Kids

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Caution: NSFW Lyrics, video, and Song Title

Russian indie rock band and their lyrics sound exactly like you'd expect from a Russian indie rock band.

This is also one of the most bada$$ music videos I've ever seen. I should have posted it in the music video thread a while back. Done all in first person shooter style. Pretty metal!

Biting Elbows - Bad Mother****er

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
A good alternative song and a band I've followed since I found this song.

Bad Suns - Cardiac Arrest

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
A Black Keys collab with RZA from the Wu-Tang Clan? Oh hell yeah.

The Black Keys - The Baddest Man Alive

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
And I think this is it for me today.

Elliott Smith is just a great indie folk/rock artist. He writes some of the prettiest songs I've ever heard. This is one of them.

Elliott Smith - Pretty (Ugly Before)

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
One of my all time favorite bands. This is off their newest album, which has quite a few good songs on it. Even if it's not the same level as albums of the past.

Of course for the video they have to look straight out of 1972

The Strokes - Bad Decisions

I like that song (it has an inadvertent "lift" from "Melt With You" for the main riff ... maybe that's part of the appeal) ... LOVE the music-video, I can't explain the appeal.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Good recs as always @cyhiphopp. I forget, did you ever get my that other punk/ska/big band or whatever it was list? The first few you mentioned rocked.

I haven't had time to yet, but I've been thinking about it. Work sucks right now. I spent too much time on this thread yesterday. Oops

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
HOLY **** I FORGOT ABOUT 2 SKINNEE J'S!

Makes me think of college when even hicks from small town Iowa listened to hiphop in the dorms to be cool.

I was a "city kid" though, so I think that gives me street cred. From the mean streets of Beaverdale, Des Moines, Iowa.

Hey, I was a small town (non hick) who listened to hiphop in the dorms!!!

Supermercado dropped when I was like in 8th grade though, such a bomb cd still. I remember listening to it on summer tennis trips right before I started HS.

Reactions: cyhiphopp