On That Note: Saved By Zero (pt. 1): Albums of 1970/60

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Someone you know says "I like jazz" and whips out a copy of Kind of Blue or Take Five but you figure out they have nothing else. Then there is Giant Steps (1960).

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I've been deep diving George's solo stuff. Previously I had pretty much just listened to All Things Must Pass.

It's crazy, but I think a Beatle might be one of the most underrated artists. ATMP is one of the greatest albums of all time...but his other solo albums have some real gems and a few of them are great start to finish. Then his work creating for Ringo's hits and the Wilburys. The guy was just a legendary creator.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
I’m not afraid of the low-hanging fruit

W1siZiIsIjMwNTQ1NiJdLFsicCIsImNvbnZlcnQiLCItcXVhbGl0eSA5MCAtcmVzaXplIDIwMDB4MTQ0MFx1MDAzZSJdXQ.jpg

Sorry, this album dropped March 1, 1973. Not quite 1970.

• Agree
Reactions: CtownCyclone

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
I was around 12 or 13 at the time, and my family lived in Ohio, roughly 90 minutes north of Cincy. At the time, my Dad was living and working in Des Moines while we were trying to sell our house to relocate. My younger brothers had already gone to bed. Mom and I were watching ... MASH? Logan's Run? Nevertheless, I remember the show being interrupted for a special news bulletin. I think my Mom was so horrified that my "old enough for concerts" age was extended another 5 years!
Holy smokes that's a good story! I too remember the news reports that night, and it was actually hard for us college students to fathom people losing their lives at a concert.

No wonder there was so much we had to go through to get tix for a concert.

Reactions: Joe4Cy

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
What blows me away about 1970 personally is how many "second favorite" albums it includes.

1. White Album
2. Let It Be

1. Black Sabbath / Vol. 4
2. Paranoid

1. Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
2. After the Gold Rush

1. The Velvet Underground & Nico
2. Loaded

1. Raw Power
2. Fun House

1. LA Woman
2. Morrison Hotel / The Doors

And if we're counting studio albums for The Dead BOTH American Beauty & Workingman's Dead came out in '70 with Workingman's being my personal favorite.

It's just bananas.

Intriguing-- had you realized so many of your #2 choices were from '70, prior to this?

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Not going away,.....sorry.

Miles Davis pointing a generation towards fusion.

Rod Stewart honing his craft,

John Lennon tearing off the scabs,

John Lennon had the theme song for 2020 50 years early.