On That Note: Saved By Zero (pt. 1): Albums of 1970/60

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
Temptations Greatest Hits II

(Couldn't find the actual album cover on youtube.)

I love the sound of the mighty Temptations. Here's "Ball of Confusion" from that album which could accurately describe where we are today.

Last edited:
Reactions: MuskieCy

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Someone already posted Live At Leeds.....nevertheless..here it is again. (Though this link is to the 40th anniversary edition of the album.) I cannot fathom it's been 50 years since this came out

The Who has been my fav rock band for years. I was ecstatic when they came to Hilton in April 1980. This was just about five months after their concert in Cincy where a crowd rush killed 11 concert goers. After that, they had put in place better security for their concerts. We took turns waiting/camping out for two or three days to be in line for tix. I was thinking that I should be studying instead of taking a turn in line. But as I look back, I am glad I got tix and waited in line.

Magic Bus was my fav track and I waited and waited for the band to play it at the Hilton concert. But they never did. Oh well.

Interesting that you bring up the Cincinnati show. WKRP in Cincinnati did an episode about that tragic concert barely 2 months after it happened.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
Interesting that you bring up the Cincinnati show. WKRP in Cincinnati did an episode about that tragic concert barely 2 months after it happened.

Dang, I remember watching that very episode when I was at ISU. Thanks for posting the link. IIRC, at the end of the episode, the WKRP staff was stunned at the tragedy. It was quite a shock to the country when those concert goers were killed.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
It's actually pretty hard to find an album I don't like from 1970.

The closet thing that come to it is probably Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother. It's my least favorite PF album and I notice no one has repped it...

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It's actually pretty hard to find an album I don't like from 1970.

The closet thing that come to it is probably Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother. It's my least favorite PF album and I notice no one has repped it...

The Beatles concluding and leaving things in ridiculously capable hands of Led Zepellin, Pink Floyd, Bowie, Neil Young, etc...

Reactions: 20eyes

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

Was going to post III myself. Definitely a different sound than the first two albums. And "Immigrant Song" was kind of an introduction to the band as a whole for me. My high school history teacher (who was also one of the basketball coaches, as well as a Civil War reenactor) could easily get sidetracked by music. He had a turntable and speakers set up in the classroom and we would try to get through class just having him talk about music.

When we started talking about Vikings, he put on "Immigrant Song" because of the subject matter. We didn't talk much about Vikings, but we did listen to most of the album that day.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Was going to post III myself. Definitely a different sound than the first two albums. And "Immigrant Song" was kind of an introduction to the band as a whole for me. My high school history teacher (who was also one of the basketball coaches, as well as a Civil War reenactor) could easily get sidetracked by music. He had a turntable and speakers set up in the classroom and we would try to get through class just having him talk about music.

When we started talking about Vikings, he put on "Immigrant Song" because of the subject matter. We didn't talk much about Vikings, but we did listen to most of the album that day.

I heard Immigrant song on that TV infomercial as a kid for their greatest hits box set. Probably 89 or 90. It's what hooked me in. I was probably 11 or 12. Before Youtube commercials like that were actually pretty awesome to hear all those songs back to back in short bursts.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Paul's first and best solo album by far in my opinion.

Playing every instrument on this gem:

I stopped short of putting that album on my list, but it's definitely in my all-time underrated LPs group. It has an informal charm, it's kind of like getting to hear Paul as he's writing & developing demos, before there's a weeding-out process or any studio sheen added ("Maybe I'm Amazed" notwithstanding).

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I heard Immigrant song on that TV infomercial as a kid for their greatest hits box set. Probably 89 or 90. It's what hooked me in. I was probably 11 or 12. Before Youtube commercials like that were actually pretty awesome to hear all those songs back to back in short bursts.

Yeah, kind of the same for me. Once I figured out some of the other songs I liked when Dad was controlling the radio were Zeppelin songs, I ended up getting the boxed set.

Only a few short years later, Napster hit the scene and we got cable internet and a CD burner. Good times.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Temptations Greatest Hits II

(Couldn't find the actual album cover on youtube.)

I love the sound of the mighty Temptations. Here's "Ball of Confusion" from that album which could accurately describe where we are today.

I'm breaking the rules here, but the only album I could think of that doesn't quite fit this category was Steppenwolf Gold, a two record set, that came out in 1971, not 1970. The reason it's meaningful to me was because my high school class, which graduated in 71, had some money left over from prom and when I got in a car accident that summer after graduation, they voted to use some of that money to buy me that album. I was still in the hospital when the class president and one of my best friends from high school gave me the album.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Paul's first and best solo album by far in my opinion.

Playing every instrument on this gem:

Additional comment on "McCartney," earlier I mentioned "Maybe I'm Amazed," even if a listener considered a majority of the rest of the album unfinished or throwaway, it has two other definite standouts, "Junk" and "Every Night."

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
I'm breaking the rules here, but the only album I could think of that doesn't quite fit this category was Steppenwolf Gold, a two record set, that came out in 1971, not 1970. The reason it's meaningful to me was because my high school class, which graduated in 71 had some money left over from prom and when I got in a car accident that summer after graduation, they voted to use some of that money to buy me that album. I was still in the hospital when the class president and one of my best friends from high school gave me the album.

Thanks for story....what a great gesture by your class. Steppenwolf was on the Smothers Brothers once and did Magic Carpet Ride and Rock Me. I could listen to that all day.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Steppenwolf Live was from 1970 and despite Dunhill's efforts to mess it up with canned audience and some studio songs it was pretty good stuff. The one of theirs I listened to most often.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I’m not afraid of the low-hanging fruit

W1siZiIsIjMwNTQ1NiJdLFsicCIsImNvbnZlcnQiLCItcXVhbGl0eSA5MCAtcmVzaXplIDIwMDB4MTQ0MFx1MDAzZSJdXQ.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: cyguy9320

Joe4Cy

Mar 5, 2010
Urbandale
www.comedyxp.tv
Dang, I remember watching that very episode when I was at ISU. Thanks for posting the link. IIRC, at the end of the episode, the WKRP staff was stunned at the tragedy. It was quite a shock to the country when those concert goers were killed.

I was around 12 or 13 at the time, and my family lived in Ohio, roughly 90 minutes north of Cincy. At the time, my Dad was living and working in Des Moines while we were trying to sell our house to relocate. My younger brothers had already gone to bed. Mom and I were watching ... MASH? Logan's Run? Nevertheless, I remember the show being interrupted for a special news bulletin. I think my Mom was so horrified that my "old enough for concerts" age was extended another 5 years!

Reactions: diaclone