On That Note: Saved By Zero (pt. 1): Albums of 1970/60

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Welcome Back to "On That Note," CF’s weekly source for music listening & discussion, hosted by @MeanDean, @CycloneRulzzz and @cyclones500.

MeanDean was scheduled to host this time, but the storm caused damage at his house and he’s without power for a few days. I’ll be host for this segment.

This week, we launch our annual albums-by-decade series for years ending in zero. For part 1, give us your top LPs for 1970 (we also accept albums from 1960). Those years only (NOT the entire decade).

Along with your song samples, we encourage you to expound on why the album is meaningful to you. If you wish, provide personal history of your relationship with the record and its music. If you’re more singles-oriented, you may substitute by posting your top songs of the year.

My first choice will come in separate entry.

Next week, we’ll continue with 1980 & 1990.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
R-12140263-1530125129-2762.jpeg.jpg

The_kinks_lola_versus_powerman_album.jpg

Two of my all time favorite albums. Loaded by the Velvet Underground and Lola versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part 1 by the Kinks

Loaded has so much to offer. Sweet Jane is one of VU's best known hits, but the entire album is fantastic. I've always loved Cool it Down and of course the epic Oh Sweet Nuthin. Just a great listen top to bottom. I was in college when I bought this album, and spent many "hazy" summer afternoons listening to it, in my buddy's basement apartment on Hayward ave.

Lola vs Powerman, in my opinion, should be discussed in the same breath with the best albums ever made. The Davies brothers are monumental talents, and their songwriting prowess is definitely on display here. Strangers, Ape Man, Powerman, This Time Tomorrow, and of course, Lola are some of the highlights, but you really can't go wrong with any track.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Creedence Clearwater Revival
“Cosmo’s Factory”
Released: July 1970

It took me quite a while to “find” this album. I was familiar with the hits from the greatest-hits compilation “Chronicle,” but didn’t realize so many of those tracks are from this LP. That alone makes it noteworthy, but I’m drawn to the fact a lot of it has a darker tone or contemplative theme. (“Lookin’ Out My Back Door” is a notable exception).

The opening track, "Ramble Tamble," begins with CCR's signature “choo-ga-loo” approach, then takes a left-turn with a lengthy, slowed-down interlude, as I've called it the "most psychedelic thing they did." Among the four covers, “I Heard it Through the Grapevine” gets an 11-minute treatment.

Limiting myself to only 4 samples, otherwise I'll just repeat the entire thing.

Also of note:
"Travelin' Band"
"Lookin’ Out My Back Door"

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

War Pigs is one of those songs that I will drop anything to listen to when it comes on. I was lucky enough to see Sabbath with the original lineup in 1999, and hearing Bill Ward hit those drum fills on War Pigs is one of my favorite concert experiences ever. They absolutely destroyed every song in their set. Paranoid was my first Sabbath album, and while it's no longer my favorite (Master of Reality) it is still an amazing record.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
The summary of "Loaded" by @Mr Janny overlaps a lot with my synopsis (notably the reference to "Sweet Jane") allow me to post my roundup, with a few clips.

The Velvet Underground
“Loaded”
Released: November 1970

It still fascinates me how far apart the 1967 debut “And Nico” sounds from this album. Gone almost completely is the noise experimentalism and damned near a straight pop album.

“Sweet Jane” is probably the most widely known track, followed by “Rock & Roll.” But there’s even more to like. Yes, the LP has a couple of duds, but so did the other 3 Lou Reed-era original LPs. (yes, there was a post-Reed release in 1973). If someone is completely unaware of VU’s catalog, I’d probably start them here first.

“I’ve walked down life’s lonely highways / hand-in-hand in myself”
“I do believe / you are what you perceive / What comes is better than what came before”

Reactions: cyguy9320

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron