On That Note: Reflections of My Life

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Not a musician, but photographer Robert Freeman (1936-2019) certainly made a mark. His photographs adorned three Beatles albums:

WTB.jpg

help_new.jpg

RS.jpg

According to his obituary on Legacy, his photos also formed the covers of “A Hard Day’s Night” and “Beatles for Sale.”

• Informative
Reactions: matclone

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
In my mind, The Cars' best song - Ric was a huge loss:

A seasonally-relevant Leon Redbone song - his voice was amazing:

Daniel Johnston - early grunge-ish singer, great song:

And I honestly really enjoyed "Firestarter" in the 90s (with Keith Flint):

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Dean Ford passed away 12/31/18. So he missed any kind of year end coverage last year.

Dean Ford was the lead singer of the Scottish pop group Marmalade.

While they only had one big hit here, they had NINE (9) top ten hits in the UK between 1968 and 1976

Their big one here was Reflections of My Life. This remains one of my all time favorite songs and I actually did own this album back in the day. One of very few I was able to accumulate prior to working part time at HyVee about two years later and making some decent spending money.

Here's that song dating from the period of its popularity along with another updated version not too much before Mr. Ford's passing.

I thought of this song the minute I saw the partial title of the thread in the new threads box (It shows "On That Note: Reflections of My..."). I love that song.
I wonder why they never made it big over here?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Daniel Johnston - early grunge-ish singer, great song:

Johnston probably is known more for impact on indie/low-fi/alt-rock and his influence on notable artists such as Kurt Cobain, Yo La Tengo, Sonic Youth and Tom Waits. Most of his music was recorded on cassette tapes at home. He used to hand out free tapes when he worked at McDonald's in the '80s.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I thought of this song the minute I saw the partial title of the thread in the new threads box (It shows "On That Note: Reflections of My..."). I love that song.
I wonder why they never made it big over here?

I was such a "British Invasion" guy I have done some research and found some real gems by looking at British Charts of the past to see what made it there that didn't make it here. Another one of their big UK hits was a cover of Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da.

If you go on Youtube and just search Marmalade most will come up thanks to Brit posters.

My best research is to just go to the Wikipedia site for the band and they usually have some kind of a discography. Check the singles releases. Most have their chart info in at least the US and UK. Some many many more countries. So, yeah, the music geekiness is strong in this one.

Reactions: cyclones500

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I was such a "British Invasion" guy I have done some research and found some real gems by looking at British Charts of the past to see what made it there that didn't make it here. Another one of their big UK hits was a cover of Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da.

If you go on Youtube and just search Marmalade most will come up thanks to Brit posters.

My best research is to just go to the Wikipedia site for the band and they usually have some kind of a discography. Check the singles releases. Most have their chart info in at least the US and UK. Some many many more countries. So, yeah, the music geekiness is strong in this one.
Has Wiki changed the way it does the discographies? I looked at several artists this morning (including Roxette) and they're only listing albums, and not what singles charted on which charts. Me no likey...

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Not a musician, but Bob Kingsley was the Casey Kasem of country music.
bob-kingsley-portrait-obit-2019-billboard-1548.jpg

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Johnston probably is known more for impact on indie/low-fi/alt-rock and his influence on notable artists such as Kurt Cobain, Yo La Tengo, Sonic Youth and Tom Waits. Most of his music was recorded on cassette tapes at home. He used to hand out free tapes when he worked at McDonald's in the '80s.

Yeah, I agree that he is alternative - I just meant that the early 90s iteration of that (Cobain, Sonic Youth) was considered "grunge." It didn't have another name yet, really.

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Has Wiki changed the way it does the discographies? I looked at several artists this morning (including Roxette) and they're only listing albums, and not what singles charted on which charts. Me no likey...

If I may jump into the conversation (don't mind if I do!), depth of Wiki discography can vary from artist to artist. In some cases, on the main page it has a segment for discography, and that may have list of links to album releases only. Above that, sometimes, is a separate link "Band XYZ discography and list of recorded songs" -- that takes you to another page with an expanded singles & albums listing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron