On That Note - It's All "2" Much (Part 1, 1962 & 1972)

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Obviously, hit my sweet spot,.....9th & 10th grades.

WLS from Chicago during the day, clear channel KAAY, the mighty 1090 out of Little Rock after 10pm, "Beeker Street",...led to the revolution of FM to rock radio.

B^)

John Landecker. Boogie Check, Boogie Check, ooh-ah. Can't say "WLS", you have to sing it. (came in at night in Northern Iowa on a clear night)

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Used to listen to the radio during math class while the teacher had us interpolating functions from tables in the back of the book. Ah, the days before calculators smaller than the entire back of the room... Anyway, can never separate this song from mathematics..."Cisco Kid" by War, from the 1972 album, "The World is a Ghetto".

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
Pink Floyd hadn't reached their full potential yet but Obscured By the Clouds definitely illustrated their potential. (A good album by Pink Floyd would be an exceptional album by almost any other band.)

Childhood's End

Free Four

Wot's....Uh The Deal

Gold It's In The.....

Last edited:

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Nominally a record by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band from 1972 (and they play on most cuts), it's really a showcase for many of the great traditional country singers and musicians.

I don't remember exactly when I first heard this one--probably in my early 20's--but it opened my eyes to a new world of music.

Flat-top virtuoso and singer from North Carolina, Doc Watson. A legend in bluegrass circles:

I've heard so many people proclaim Chet Atkins as the greatest (country or otherwise) guitar player, but before Atkins there was Merle Travis. What he did on guitar became known as "Travis-picking'"-basically a finger style guitar, where he's playing both a top and bottom part. He played electric and acoustic but is just acoustic here. Listen to George Harrison on early Beatles records such as "I'l a Loser" for perhaps a Merle Travis influence.

Jimmy Martin was quite a character. I saw him play in Grimes, Iowa in 1986.

"In the gutter you were makin', yourself, qui-et a name"

Last edited:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Also, what's a "On That Note" without a cheat? "Straight Up" by Badfinger was released in 1972 in the UK ('71 in the states)...so, take that "Baby Blue".

I actually looked to see the release date of this to potentially post it. Because I remember this being a big hit that year. But, like you, I saw it was released in 71 here so held off.

But truly a great album! Sweet Tuesday Morning.

Reactions: Cydar and pourcyne

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Pink Floyd hadn't reached their full potential yet but Obscured By the Clouds definitely illustrated their potential. (A good album by Pink Floyd would be an exception album by almost any other band.)

Childhood's End

Free Four

Wot's....Uh The Deal

Gold It's In The.....

Quick assessment: Several of those sound better to me than "Dark Side of the Moon" (the follow-up) - CAVEAT: I'm sure that's in part because DSOTM has gotten much heavier saturation, so this is bound to seem more fresh. A bit poppier/less brooding than the Floyd signature approach (before and after).

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
The Contours Do You Love Me album was released in 1962

Tommy Roe re-released Sheila on an album titled Sheila in 1962

which was originally released with the Satins in 1960

The Isley Brothers Twist & Shout

Last edited:

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Been waiting for this for a while.

My all time favorite LP is Pink Floyd's Meddle (1971), but my second favorite is Black Sabbath's masterpiece Vol. 4. I love this record...besides the track FX, which is clearly a sign of way too much cocaine in the studio, every track is outstanding. Also, it's not a stretch to consider it a concept album. The songs are all very personal and you can almost see an addicts highest highs (Supernaught, Cornucopia) mixed with their lowest lows (Changes, Snowblind) sandwiched between prologue (Wheels of Confusion) and final chapter (Under the Sun). I love the finality of Under the Sun as the last track.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
The first Steely Dan I ever bought was "Aja", but I went back and bought everything they had cut on up till then.

1972, "Can't Buy a Thrill" with "Do It Again" , "Reelin' in the Years", and, still a favorite, "Only a Fool Would Say That".

I just got this LP from my boys this past Father's Day. I posted a week ago or so about how strange I think it is that Only A Fool Would Say That has gotten so little airplay compared to it's A Side, Reelin' In The Years. This album is nearly a greatest hits album of which Only A Fool Would Say That is my personal favorite. I didn't know for years that it is a dis track on John Lennon but makes 100% more sense with that knowledge.

Reactions: pourcyne

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
Quick assessment: Several of those sound better to me than "Dark Side of the Moon" (the follow-up) - CAVEAT: I'm sure that's in part because DSOTM has gotten much heavier saturation, so this is bound to seem more fresh. A bit poppier/less brooding than the Floyd signature approach (before and after).
I think overall DSOTM is stronger album from beginning to end. The inclusion of the female vocal singer really makes that album stand out. Obscured by the Clouds has great songs but isn't at the same level of DSOTM...of course that's just my opinion.

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Another single from '72, don't think I saw yet...

Has a backstory that inspired Nelson to write it, I won’t expound (better summaries are available compared to what I could provide here) … helps to know the gist, it adds depth to the storyline.

“If memories were all I sang / I’d rather drive a truck”

Reactions: Cydar and matclone