On That Note - If You Want Me, Just Whistle

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Hey all,

Welcome to another weekly edition of On That Note. We take turns doing the heavy lifting every week; and to mix a couple metaphors - this week I'm in the barrel. The other guys who host are @cyclones500 and @CycloneRulzzz.

Last week we did the drum thing - find the post here:

https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/on-that-note-bang-on-the-drum.249568/

This week I've dreamt up another off the wall idea. Songs that contain whistling. Like the previous episode I hosted about talking at the beginning of songs, I initially thought this was too limiting. But again my buddies on the team came through with multiple multiple examples, so I/we've decided to go for it.

Of course there are two prime examples that I will NOT post that are whistled tunes basically from beginning to end. One is the theme song from a 1960's sitcom who's title is The Fishing Hole. The other is from an Oscar Best Picture winner about a group of British POW/Soldiers forced to build a bridge for the Japanese in WWII. I'll let you folks glom onto those puppies.

The title for this week's OTN is pulled from the movie To Have and To Have Not (Lauren Bacall quote) “If you want me, just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow."

My first 5:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Kind of a weird back story on this one.

Much bigger hit in the UK (#5) than over here (#20) and was one of those up-the-charts then down-the-charts situations like most novelty numbers are.

The weird part is there is no Whistling Jack Smith. The name Whistling Jack Smith, was a play on the name of the baritone singer of the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s, Whispering Jack Smith. It was one of two guys (no one knows for sure) whistling the lead.

From Wikipedia: The whistling on the record was, according to most sources, by John O'Neill, a trumpeter and singer with the Mike Sammes Singers who was known for his whistling skill,[3][4] though other sources credit Noel Walker... When it was featured on Top of the Pops, actor Coby Wells was used to mime the whistling, and later toured as the public face of Whistling Jack Smith.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron