On That Note: Endless Summer - End of Summer Edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Welcome to a slightly early edition of On That Note. We do this every week, between @cyclones500, @CycloneRulzzz and myself.

Since this week marks the official end of Summer, we've decided to observe it with some songs by the group most associated with the season - The Beach Boys. And since it's the end of the season let's look at the back side of their singles.

For this OTN we're asking posters to choose/rank your favorite Beach Boys singles B-Sides.

Below is a link to the Wikipedia Beach Boys Singles discography. Please note that the B-Side song is the SECOND song listed in the pairs. For example, for their first release "Surfin'" is the A-Side and "Luau" is the B-Side. Do not consider the A-side song (first one in the pairs). IMHO most of the more familiar tunes will fall in the range of years 1962-1966.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beach_Boys_discography#1960s

There are several ways you may approach this. Ideally, we'd like you to rank (and post) at least your top 5 B-sides. You may also choose to rank/post 10 in two posts. If you're not familiar with enough of them to do even 5, at least post the ones that you do like. Comments on the songs are encouraged, as always.

(I will wait a bit before I post my choices.)

Last week's OTN was "Story Time." It can be found here: https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/on-that-note-story-time.273419/

Reactions: cyclones500

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
7 of my top 10 B sides resides from the compilation album Endless Summer so a perfect title from MeanDean and my favorite B side track is of course from that album.

1. In My Room

Even including the A sides from Endless Summer this is near the top of my list. It's just a great song to just mellow out and reflect on things.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Although it runs counter to my typical "rank everything" tendency, I don't think I can be so decisive this time. I do have five or so B's I'd put toward the top, if I get more time later I might add a couple more.

Some of this repeats tracks already posted (including sound clips).

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You have me curious. Is it due to preferring group's A sides and there's no standout flip side, or low interest in general for the band, or other? (No "wrong answer" for this, of course).
Got my running shoes on before I say this. I don’t like The Beach Boys.