On a scale 1-10 how ****** off/upset are you?

How ****** are you?

• Total voters

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I'm as big of Cyclone as anybody, but I'm also a realist. I predicted at most 2-3 wins coming into the year, with 1-2 being most likely, and expect that to hold true. People were drinking something strong to think that just swapping out OC would magically change everything; that was never going to be the case. We still have mediocre players and face teams much better than us every week, Mangino doesn't change that.

While you should never settle for mediocrity, ISU football has been and always will be the definition of it. We might strike lightning once every 5 or 6 years to get to 7 wins, but otherwise I fully expect, as a realist, 3-6 wins depending on the schedule and year. People don't like my predictions and question my fandom for not liking Kool Aid, but those predictions usually pan out to be correct because I think without emotion or blinders.

Cychedelia

Aug 26, 2014
Cedar Rapids
I'm not willing to give up, yet. We beat KSU and we are 1-1, about where we hoped to be. I think anyone who thought that Mangino was going to solve all of our issues was misguided. The performance today was bad. Losing Farniok and Brundage was a nightmare scenario, but it wouldn't have mattered. We got our butts kicked by a better team.

I do think they have to get this figured out or start to see less fan support. I'm to the point where it's hard to justify spending the time/money on going. If today's performance is what I'm going to see, i can watch that at home, and I sense I'm not the only one that's starting to feel that way...

I'm not giving up either, and our team won't either. Mangino will get us on the right track, he just needs some time.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I look at it this way:

We can go beat KSU, be 1 and 1, and really be in the same position we thought we'd be in after two games. Or, we can lose to KSU and things can snowball like they did last year.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I put a 4. I really don't understand how everybody is so upset at this, I went in almost expecting it to happen. I did NOT expect it to happen the way it did, but I'm not surprised at the loss.

Edit: I should say I don't understand how everybody is so upset that the loss today, not at the fact that we put a crappy product on the field again this year.

Last edited:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I have to laugh at those that always accuse people of being fair weather fans just because they're vocal and upset after a beating. Iowa State fans are the most loyal in the country and for those of us older than our 20's, we've had 30+ years of the same old thing and have a right to be upset or vocal. While I'm well past my days of getting overly upset, frankly because the nuts are far too numb after decades of swift kicks, I think people that have supported this program through everything and continue to donate and buy tickets have every right to be upset with what continues to be an embarrassment.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I put a 4. I really don't understand how everybody is so upset at this, I went in almost expecting it to happen. I did NOT expect it to happen the way it did, but I'm not surprised at the loss.

Edit: I should say I don't understand how everybody is so upset that the loss today, not at the fact that we put a crappy product on the field again this year.
You don't understand why people are upset after getting curb stomped by an FCS team for the second year in a row? I think you mean you don't understand why people are surprised. Even if I knew this is how it would turn out, I am going to be upset about it. It has huge implications on the entire AD.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
I'm as big of Cyclone as anybody, but I'm also a realist. I predicted at most 2-3 wins coming into the year, with 1-2 being most likely, and expect that to hold true. People were drinking something strong to think that just swapping out OC would magically change everything; that was never going to be the case. We still have mediocre players and face teams much better than us every week, Mangino doesn't change that.

While you should never settle for mediocrity, ISU football has been and always will be the definition of it. We might strike lightning once every 5 or 6 years to get to 7 wins, but otherwise I fully expect, as a realist, 3-6 wins depending on the schedule and year. People don't like my predictions and question my fandom for not liking Kool Aid, but those predictions usually pan out to be correct because I think without emotion or blinders.

My avatar begs to disagree (3 straight 8 win seasons, prolific offense, winning attitude)

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I have to laugh at those that always accuse people of being fair weather fans just because they're vocal and upset after a beating. Iowa State fans are the most loyal in the country and for those of us older than our 20's, we've had 30+ years of the same old thing and have a right to be upset or vocal. While I'm well past my days of getting overly upset, frankly because the nuts are far too numb after decades of swift kicks, I think people that have supported this program through everything and continue to donate and buy tickets have every right to be upset with what continues to be an embarrassment.
You can be upset, but you also have to take the experience and realize there really isn't much better of an option. Yeah Rhoads is struggling and that isn't acceptable. What are you going to do if you get rid of him though. There is a difference between being mad that we lost and being a complete idiot and calling for everyones head.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
You can be upset, but you also have to take the experience and realize there really isn't much better of an option. Yeah Rhoads is struggling and that isn't acceptable. What are you going to do if you get rid of him though. There is a difference between being mad that we lost and being a complete idiot and calling for everyones head.

JFC, what has Rhoads done for you to put out such ********? Apparently NDSU and UNI were able to find better options. To think we can't employ a staff as talented as two FCS programs located in North Dakota and Iowa is being a complete idiot.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I'm a 1 mainly because I try to concern myself more with things I can directly impact. Was disappointed and an sad for the players and coaches. They're gonna get some crap thrown at them this week. Can't say I'm angry though.

Jeffwork

Mar 9, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Have to agree with this. We are an embarrassment to Div 1 and the big 12. I hope we win but football centered around around ISU games is done for me. Seriously, how can we be pushed around like a high school team? On a hopeful note, just booked March Madness in Vegas.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

i have similar thoughts. While I don't think CPR is getting it done and the future doesn't look any brighter, I also don't think you can get a better coach to ISU, and certainly not one that is as passionate. But even at that, at some point you need to at least start thinking of your options. Many on this board will be sad at the end of the season when CPR isn't fired, because even if we go 0-12, he has at least another year. JP doesn't want to make a change and the funds simply aren't there to support it anyway.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
1. Sadly with all the question marks coming into our season, and the recent tradition of NDSU knocking off bottom dwelling FBS teams it wasn't something totally unexpected. I was more upset last year after UNI than this.

More a frustration that the on the field performance looks to again be at a level well below what this fan base and this university deserves. This is a fanbase that coming off 5 years of football under a current coach is supporting the program enough to build a stadium expansion that will put it in the top 3 largest in it's conference and filling it week in and week out all the way through a 3-9 season. Following that 3-9 season by selling 40,000 season tickets, and largely accepting a letter from the athletic department about an upcoming increase in donor level requirements.

Also notable is that this is all occurring during a time when schools all over the nation are suffering from shrinking in stadium crowds.

I'm extremely ready for this football program to start performing at a level that warrants the nearly unfailing support of a fan base that has seen 1 bowl victory in 10 years. This fanbase and this university are above average, they deserve a level of performance on the football field that reflects that.

Last edited:

josh4isu

Aug 10, 2010
Iowa
super ******. no adjustments. no sense of urgency. i realize how great/important of a player farniok is, but the wheels should NOT fall off of any offense with the loss of just one player. especially a single lineman.

as for the defense... who is recruiting on the defensive side of the ball ? the talent on this years defense draws parallels to CPR's defense in year 1 thats not a good thing. at least we can say the guy is proud...

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
It's hard for me to pinpoint. I put down a 7, solely based on the result of the game. We looked good for 1 quarter and then an absolute shitstorm hit us. Some people want to downplay the injuries, but we are not a deep team. Montgomery and Ecby not playing, Bundrage and Farniok going down, Cotton-Moya ejected. It's a lot to overcome in a single game. We're not OU or UT, who can just insert the next 4 star recruit from the bench when their starter goes out. Also some incredibly bad luck with tipped passes being caught for INTs. With all that being said, the D-Line did get manhandled and it was an absolute embarrasment. It's hard to develop defensive players when some of the players you develop get dismissed (Coe, Irving) and you have to start new again. I'm not just making excuses, as I do understand that these things happen and the coaching needs to adjust to some of those situations. It was a VERY dissapointing game, but the team still has my full support. I'm tired of people saying they'll cancel their season tickets, won't support the football team, etc. You have to support them because:

1. We are Cyclones and need to support our team (unless you want to support the Hoks - I know a few cyclone traitors that have done this).
2. Do it for the players - a few of these guys had a chance to go elsewhere to play but chose ISU. Definitely not because of a winning tradition, but because they wanted to be here. As long as they play hard and want to be here, they'll always have my full support. I mean, come on, Lazard could be at Notre Dame right now but chose ISU. How can you not admire that?

Coaching - why are we calling for Rhoads head? Snyder had a more talented team that also lost to NDSU. Their season was not over because they lost to the Bison, why should ours? I agree, how we lost is not a good indicator of progress, but let's see if Mangino's offense can improve with some of the players coming back for the next few games and Cotton-Moya and Brackens in the next game (I really thought Brackens was a bright spot on the defense when he first came in) and some of the lineman learning from this game. Pollard will definitely look at the season as a whole and might make a change in coaching at the end of the season (although my feeling is that Rhoads and Mangino are together on this for 2 years and then the decision will be made). I honestly don't think cancelling season tickets or stopping financial support will speed up that decision. However, I do think that less than 5 wins will get Rhoads on the hot seat.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron