Old Timers: I found something that might jog your memory

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Found this guy. I was wondering if anyone of you went up to the first 2 rounds up in Minneapolis (we beat #2 seed Michigan) or the Regional in KC?

kYC2fjE.jpg

PQgXoBV.jpg

That would've been an interesting year for me to go to. One of my best friends went to Miami of Ohio which ISU beat in the First Round. I grew up a Michigan fan before becoming an ISU fan when I became a student. And Michigan beat Akron in the first round.

Anyone got any stories from those game(s) in Minneapolis or KC?

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I was in first grade and got to miss school to go to the games, thought i was pretty cool. I don't remember much about the game, just walking through the parking lot and all the clone fans singing and running around like they won the lottery.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Found this guy. I was wondering if anyone of you went up to the first 2 rounds up in Minneapolis (we beat #2 seed Michigan) or the Regional in KC?

kYC2fjE.jpg

PQgXoBV.jpg

That would've been an interesting year for me to go to. One of my best friends went to Miami of Ohio which ISU beat in the First Round. I grew up a Michigan fan before becoming an ISU fan when I became a student. And Michigan beat Akron in the first round.

Hornacek buzzer beater to beat Miami (OH)

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Yes I was in Minneapolis and K.C for those big games. I was in Minneapolis both times we were sent up there and it seems like we also beat Miami of Ohio on a Hornacek buzzer beater if I remember right. I can't remember if Jimmy V. was still coaching NC State when they beat us in KC but I think he was. Some years later we were sent to Minneapolis again with Floyd's Cato bunch and trounced UCLA.

3rdGenStater

Oct 7, 2012
Was that ISU vs. Mich. game the one where Musberger and Packer called the game and one of them made some snide comment (in the 1st half, I believe) about the Cyclones looking like a junior high team?

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Yes I was in Minneapolis and K.C for those big games. I was in Minneapolis both times we were sent up there and it seems like we also beat Miami of Ohio on a Hornacek buzzer beater if I remember right. I can't remember if Jimmy V. was still coaching NC State when they beat us in KC but I think he was. Some years later we were sent to Minneapolis again with Floyd's Cato bunch and trounced UCLA.

Ummm, what?

I think you may be thinking of Eustachy and Fizer & Co. Floyd lost to UCLA on that freaking finger roll layup over Cato.

Last edited:

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
I was at the Michigan game in Minneapolis and in KC for NC State. I was in high school and my dad called me in sick to work so I could go to the Michigan game.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado

kYC2fjE.jpg

PQgXoBV.jpg

Yep, I was 14 years old and went with my dad. We had friends who could attend the first game but not the second (vs. Michigan.) The Cyclones had to win that first game or we didn't get to go. Hornacek's buzzer-beater in round 1 caused a huge celebration in our house!

Was that ISU vs. Mich. game the one where Musberger and Packer called the game and one of them made some snide comment (in the 1st half, I believe) about the Cyclones looking like a junior high team?
Yes, I believe Michigan started the game up 5-0 and Packer said something to the effect of,"It looks like the JV against the varsity."

Ummm, what?

I think you may be thinking of Eustachy and Fizer & Co. Floyd lost to UCLA on that freaking finger roll layup over Cato.
Correct. Floyd lost to UCLA, LE pummeled them.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas

I was 17 and remember this and where I was at like it was yesterday. Hornacek shot was incredible. Was with 5 HS buddies and we all jumped up at same time as Hornacek hit the shot and three of us smacked heads and one of us got knocked out, lol. It was incredible and chaotic all in one.

and it was **** Stockton who said ISU looks like the JV vs the varsity. Punk. Ate his words later that's for sure.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I live in Minneapolis and I am an old dude so of course I was there for the Michigan and Miami of Ohio games in '86. It was a-w-e-s-o-m-e!

[video=youtube;36AK36P3VTo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36AK36P3VTo[/video]

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I live in Minneapolis and I am an old dude so of course I was there for the Michigan and Miami of Ohio games in '86. It was a-w-e-s-o-m-e!

[video=youtube;36AK36P3VTo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36AK36P3VTo[/video]

Man I miss listening to Gary Thompson doing commentary for games....

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Was there for both in MSP.

Details are a bit hazy due to incredible amount of screaming we did during the game and celebratory events afterwords.

What I remember:

1) Meeshigan fan upheld the B1G best tradition in being dooshbags until half time when they realized this was a good game. They were actually pretty congratulatory afterwords.
2) I believe the JV comment was from Musberger not Stockton but either way, was a classic.
3) I remember Ronnie Virgil (maybe 6'2", 180 soaking wet) rising up out of a mass of humanity on several occasions to snag a rebound or get a key put back.
4) In the Miami game, the Hornacek shot was epic - I think it was right over Ron Harper. Remembering that while it was easily from 3 point land, they didn't have the 3 pt shot then. (consider that when you look at Hornaceks stats next time)
5) Elmer Robinsons break away dunk to put away the game against the Fazed and Blue was probably the loudest I have ever yelled and pounded my chest, think I broke a rib (or maybe that happened after the bar hopping?). We had good seats and I could see their PG (Grant?) mouth WTF as someone missed their assignment.
6) Get a picture of Johnny at the end of that game. I think that was the happiest person I have ever seen in my life.

Probably not the best team or even the best game played by ISU in the tourney but that had to be one of the key (top 5) moments for ISU sports history. Let's do it again!

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
Was there for both in MSP.

Details are a bit hazy due to incredible amount of screaming we did during the game and celebratory events afterwords.

What I remember:

2) I believe the JV comment was from Musberger not Stockton but either way, was a classic.

I was home for spring break watching the game. I thought it was **** Stockton with the JV comment. I didn't like Stockton back then and I was ****** when he made that comment.

I found this:
http://www.encyclonepedia.com/?p=2661

Last edited:

VancCy

Nov 8, 2014
It was my senior year in high school. I got to stay home from school to watch the NCAA Tourney. I thought it was Dickie V. saying in the opening 5 or so mins of the game saying ISU looked like the JV team going up against the Varsity when they were playing Michigan.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My brother and I went to the Ames airport to welcome the team back. It was nearly a catastrophe as there were a lot of people milling about and when the plane taxied up people ran right over to the plane while the props were still turning. I thought for sure I was going to see some idiots die that night. Some people had to be within a foot of the prop still spinning at nearly full tilt. One little shove and someone would have gotten splattered.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I was 6 years old in 1986 when Iowa State played in that NCAA tournament. My parents had tickets to the games. My brother who was 4 and I stayed with my Grandma while my parents went to the first round games. My brother got sick the next day, so I went with my Dad to the Michigan game. For years I remembered going to a game in Minneapolis, but didn't put it together that it was the Michigan game until years later. As a 6 year old, my memories included getting to get a Happy Meal at McDonalds (that was something that my mom never let us do, but Dad did) and I spit on the program page with the Michigan players on it. My aunt who was there with us yelled at me for that. I may be more mature now, but I'm not that much different than the 6 year old kid who hated whoever was playing Iowa State enough to spit ;) I do wish I had memories of the actual game.

As an aside, Iowa State has been to the Sweet 16 4 times. I have been in attendance at those NCAA games 3 of those times (1986, 2000, and last year)......I think that Iowa State should make sure I am always at the NCAA tournament games.

Danger

Apr 11, 2006
My senior year at ISU. A buddy and I got tickets for the Miami-OH game but couldn't swing it for Michigan. My first experience with the Hilton North/South phenomenon. The Dome was incredibly loud when Hornacek hit that long jumper. I struck up a conversation with an older guy sitting beside me who happened to have a son on the ISU football team (George Jessen). At the end of the game, you would have thought I was his son as we were high-fiving and hugging in celebration.

That '86 team was undefeated at home and the student ticket policy in those days involved 4 rotating seats (great, good, average, poor). As it worked out, my great seats were 2 rows behind the opposing bench for the Iowa, Kansas, Ok State and Missouri games. Yeah, that was cool.....

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Definitely was NOT **** Vitale on the "Looks like the Varsity versus the JV" comment.

I watched the Michigan game at home and two biggest memories (besides the JV comment) were Ronnie Virgil rising up and hitting a 13 footer about midway through the first half to keep ISU scoring and thinking to myself, "Michigan is going to let him shoot those? I'll take that all day." And in the second half when ISU was holding on to the lead and ISU/Hornacek had the ball out of bounds on the sideline. He's holding, holding, looking, looking (please God, no 5 second call!) then Elmer Robinson breaks free towards the bucket and Hornacek throws the perfect pass for the huge jam to seal the victory. One of the best moments of ISU fandom all time.

If I remember correctly Michigan was the Big 10 champion that year; and it was very NICE going to work the next day in the QC's where the Big 10 superiority complex is strong.

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
The kHawks played then 2nd game after ISU v Miami (OH). After we won, kHawk fan complained as we were leaving, that they had cheered for us & wanted us to cheer for them... Yeah right, NFW

My buddy dated an ISU cheerleader so we walked in with her (3 guy) with a handle of vodka. Since we didnt have assigned seats we sat in the back row upper deck in a Michigan section. We got loaded and keep yelling something about giving Michigan the blues...

We found a yard beer bar near the dome and had several a piece after the 1st night. That weekend was one of the all time greats. The Power & Light District last spring was pretty sweet as my son (who graduated from ISU this weekend) and we got to enjoy lots of beer & victories... #cyclONEfamily...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron