Oklahoma State site asked me Q's about Hoiberg/Gottlieb

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Until he took that Bulls job, would have said Hoiberg way smarter. Not sure now.

fUVoleU.gif

• Friendly
Reactions: istater7 and weR138

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
There is a huge difference in their lives after college. Fred played for some of the greatest minds in the game. He sat on the bench, watched film, and worked with these great coaches. He scouted teams. Gottlieb hasn't been around the sport day to day for years. He has never shown any desire to coach unless it is the OSU job. He went from playing to broadcasting. Hiring Fred was a risk, but his background was a lot better than Doug's is. The only similarity is they both played college basketball. I don't think Doug is even an icon like Fred is.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
$$$$$$$$$

It's funny that this is our standard answer about Fred and the NBA---along with it was his one true dream in life line of ******** that he got people to peddle. Because there's a whole thread about Prohm getting a raise and there are several people that he shouldn't care what Underwood and Martin got paid or that there's not a big difference between $1.5 and $2 million, so why bother giving him more. Its funny that we think Prohm shouldn't give a **** about money.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think there is one major difference between Gotlieb and Holberg. Holberg was taking over a program that was in bad, bad shape. No NCAA tournament for 6 years. We had very little to lose by hiring someone with no experience.

Oklahoma State was successful last year (and got a lot more people to Gallagher Iba than they had been getting). Travis Ford was also moderately successful when he was there---i.e. he got to the tournament a lot of times.

Reactions: ChrisMWilliams

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
I think the EGO thing is the biggest. Fred came off as humble to a fault. I don't think you can say the same about DG. He is about as arrogant an announcer you can find. If a recruit doesn't immediately embrace what DG is saying, can he change his mind or we he belittle the recruit and try to make him see it his way? In this day and age of coaching loyalty being suspect I think they should give him a shot. It won't take long to determine success or failure.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Gottlieb is a goon. Fred is not a goon. Pretty simple stuff

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
How is St Johns feeling about the Mullin experiment. It's a crap shoot - ISU got lucky that Fred worked out.

Doug loves that school, so you cannot worry about him bolting after a year and his dad was a life time coach - so he grew up around it. He has never really left the sport working for ESPN and CBS sports - kids will know who he is (from a recruiting standpoint).

Chris' comment about spending $3MM / year on a proven coach - well they should have done that with Underwood, is spot on. IF oSu is going cheap, Gotlieb is about as good as they are going to get.

I did like Doug's tweet the other night about McCaffery's kid being a stud and OSU fans were dumb enough to ask if Doug was going to try to get him to sign with OSU.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron