Okay, I Get It! No trade off of wrestling for baseball!

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
After the south end zone is done, I would trade the next big facilities project for Baseball and Hockey

giphy-downsized-large.gif

It's not just a lump sum of money to get back a baseball team and upgrade hockey to a scholarship team.

There's the HUGE initial investment because we don't have facilities for a baseball team, and THEN there's the annual expense of all of the scholarships.

THEN ON TOP OF THAT there's the Title IX considerations so we have to spend a **** load of money on womens sports to match the mens.

I've posted about this multiple times, but I guess I'll say it again.

I understand the nostalgia and emotional reasons to want to bring back baseball, but it is not a financially sound move. Pretty sure we weren't good at baseball when we had it and we'd be beyond bad if we tried to start a program from scratch, especially trying to play against the southern Big 12 teams who have monstrous geographical and historical advantages.

Then add on to it trying to throw money at hockey because a small percentage of ISU fans love hockey is just silly.

And I'm someone who personally likes BOTH of those sports, but I don't think ISU has ANY business spending extra money on them.

And finally, if you think this big money is going to last forever, then you're a little naive. We're spending money on football and basketball NOW because we have it. There's a good chance the Big12 TV money dries up significantly in the future and we have to be positioned to survive against schools like Texas with nearly inexhaustible budgets. Spending useless money on sports we don't have to is a dumb idea.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
In a thread some where, I can't remember where, I suggested that ISU should trade in the wrestling program for a return to baseball, even though I mentioned that I probably wouldn't get much agreement. And, man was I right!! So far I've received ten or more "thumbs down" or "disagree" comments from others. What could I have been thinking? Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa!!

I hereby retract my earlier suggestion. Okay, moving on.................
tenor.gif

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't get it either. Just reporting what I know

It's the nature more than anything else. Better wrestlers have an aggressive nature programmed into them. Have to have high confidence. They will attack what they want and charge after it. Most girls/women I know see confidence as a good thing.

Btw, I played basketball but my sons wrestle

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
It's the nature more than anything else. Better wrestlers have an aggressive nature programmed into them. Have to have high confidence. They will attack what they want and charge after it. Most girls/women I know see confidence as a good thing.

Btw, I played basketball but my sons wrestle

I played basketball too and this is what I've pegged it down to as well. But god damn some of them are so arrogant its off putting.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
In a thread some where, I can't remember where, I suggested that ISU should trade in the wrestling program for a return to baseball, even though I mentioned that I probably wouldn't get much agreement. And, man was I right!! So far I've received ten or more "thumbs down" or "disagree" comments from others. What could I have been thinking? Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa!!

giphy.gif

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
After the south end zone is done, I would trade the next big facilities project for Baseball and Hockey

I wouldn't. If we're getting rid of wrestling I'd rather just use the money in football and basketball.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
You cannot be from Iowa then. I prefer soccer too but the girls I know are crazy about wrestlers and baseball for the baseball pants.

Fat chicks need love too bro.

Des Moines west burbs so I admit it’s pretty bubbly over there but Roosevelt, valley, dowling, Waukee, johnston, dcg are pretty soccer/football leaning in their jocularity.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: CloneFan4

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
The state of Iowa has a rich baseball history but I think it would be extremely hard to get good in NCAA baseball. If we did have a team I would probably end up going to a couple games a year. I'd be more interested in having a d1 hockey team.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
If you get really good at e-sports do girls like you?

True story. I have a friend in Brooklyn, ny that is an e racer he made me ask @isufbcurt for help in finding an open wheel cockpit to fix up and integrate in to his e racing set up. He’s pretty famous in Japan as an e racer and he sells rare shoes and a little weed and that is how he makes a living.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
True story. I have a friend in Brooklyn, ny that is an e racer he made me ask @isufbcurt for help in finding an open wheel cockpit to fix up and integrate in to his e racing set up. He’s pretty famous in Japan as an e racer and he sells rare shoes and a little weed and that is how he makes a living.
Cool, bro.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

And not one reference to women falling over him. May be indirect answer but still answers the question.

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

DCR

Jun 11, 2010

Go back to Neverland Tinker Bell!!!!!!!