Ok enough day dreams do you think Mess is gone after the season for real?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
OK, as I have asked in the past...where is there any indication that Mess and Rhoads are 'buddies'? Near as I can tell, they have no history prior to ISU. No hometown/college/same stops along the way as coaches...until ISU. The reason I ask this is that a coach (or manager) who wants to make the right hire and misses is one level of bad, a coach (or manager) who can't separate personal relationships from professional ones is a whole different level of bad. It gets thrown out as an excuse, but other than whatever relationship they've developed at ISU, I don't see there ever having been one before. So if you know of their personal relationship, please share details. If not, stop piling on with innuendo that makes a bad situation look worse.
Prolly because being buddies is the only reason that makes sense as to why he hasn't been fired.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I think people assume this b/c its the easiest way to explain why PR elevated someone with a marginal resume to an FBS OC position. How else can you explain it? If it wasn't friendship then do we assume its because PR saw CM as a "diamond in the rough?" If so, then perhaps critiques of PRs recruiting do indeed have merit. :pcool:

OK, as I have asked in the past...where is there any indication that Mess and Rhoads are 'buddies'? Near as I can tell, they have no history prior to ISU. No hometown/college/same stops along the way as coaches...until ISU. The reason I ask this is that a coach (or manager) who wants to make the right hire and misses is one level of bad, a coach (or manager) who can't separate personal relationships from professional ones is a whole different level of bad. It gets thrown out as an excuse, but other than whatever relationship they've developed at ISU, I don't see there ever having been one before. So if you know of their personal relationship, please share details. If not, stop piling on with innuendo that makes a bad situation look worse.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Prolly because being buddies is the only reason that makes sense as to why he hasn't been fired.

Or...Rhoads doesn't believe in changing staff mid season, which I don't know that I agree with....I just find it hard to believe that someone EVER becomes a head coach of a D1 FBS football program without being able to separate personal stuff from professional. Sheesh, I manage at a waaay lower level than that and I learned that even before being a manager.

IDK...maybe I look at it differently having been a manager...I guess unless you're willing to jump to the conclusion that CPR is so incompetent that he doesn't even understand basic managerial pitfalls, there's probably a different explanation. I'm not willing to jump that far.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I think people assume this b/c its the easiest way to explain why PR elevated someone with a marginal resume to an FBS OC position. How else can you explain it? If it wasn't friendship then do we assume its because PR saw CM as a "diamond in the rough?" If so, then perhaps critiques of PRs recruiting do indeed have merit. :pcool:

I think I chalk it up to an over-emphasis on stability. Hey, we got this guy in house, he did a good job with the tight ends a few years ago, a serviceable job with the receivers, and he has been a head coach and OC before (albeit D2 or 3, whatever it was), let's give him a shot....rather than hiring someone from outside. I think (hope) he's learning his lessons.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
To the posters saying it won't matter because there will be posters calling for the new guys head after a bad outing or two, you aren't wrong there will be posters that do that. But there is a difference between people making emotional posts about bad outings, and what has happened this year. You could tell at the end of last season that the offense had regressed under Mess, then this year has been a entire year over everyone, at least wondering if the OC should be gone.

Like I have said before, if CPR won't fire him, I hope JP is the man I think he is. Put the pressure on CPR to do what is necessary. while CPR has the say of who is on his staff he still has a boss, and I am pretty sure with the SEZ announcement today there is plenty of pressure on CPR to find a way to get an offense on the field that can consistently get first downs. I am leary of Mess being gone, just don't like the vibe I get from CPR during press conferences and quotes, but we will probably know by the end of the first week of December. There have to be more qualified guys out there that are both better OC/QB coaches and that can recruit just as good.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
IDK ... a growing preponderance of evidence (and many grapevine whispers) suggests the jump may not be as far as you think.

On the other hand, I think our AD is a very skilled manager and I hope he will be advising PR. Does anyone have a current sense of their relationship?

IDK...maybe I look at it differently having been a manager...I guess unless you're willing to jump to the conclusion that CPR is so incompetent that he doesn't even understand basic managerial pitfalls, there's probably a different explanation. I'm not willing to jump that far.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
If I were Lazard, I'd go to ND if Mess is still the OC. He won't get the ball if Mess is the OC. At least not on anything besides a WR bubble screen. Mess refuses to throw deep. If Lazard wastes his time here catching sideways passes at 6'5" tall, then good luck to him ever getting to the NFL.

Seriously, could you be any worse? I mean you are an absolutely terrible ******* fan.

Here's an idea, next time you feel compelled to post some random genius thought....DON'T

Get so sick of reading your pessimistic ********.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
IDK ... a growing preponderance of evidence (and many grapevine whispers) suggests the jump may not be as far as you think.

On the other hand, I think our AD is a very skilled manager and I hope he will be advising PR. Does anyone have a current sense of their relationship?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think we have serious problems on our offense, and I haven't seen anything from Rhoads that he can help in the absence of good leadership there. This season, it looks to me that we don't have anyone with answers on staff. But to go back to my experience, I don't know the jobs of the people I lead, but I am responsible to evaluate their performance and react accordingly. Managers who do know their subordinate's jobs have an advantage in that if they don't allow themselves to be drug down into every day-to-day issue, but you don't necessarily NEED it. To go back to current situation...I think if we don't see some new blood, CPR may well likely sink or swim with this staff.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Today started on such a positive note... Then another messy thread came along.

You're right...we should be talking about positive things...who's willing to go in with me on donating for a "Courtney Messingham memorial low flow toilet"? Because yeah...those things don't work either.

:jimlad:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
If I were Lazard, I'd go to ND if Mess is still the OC. He won't get the ball if Mess is the OC. At least not on anything besides a WR bubble screen. Mess refuses to throw deep. If Lazard wastes his time here catching sideways passes at 6'5" tall, then good luck to him ever getting to the NFL.

Haha thanks for making me laugh. I find it hilarious that you think just cause the fans don't like him that current and future players don't.

I don't know how many times you want him to throw deep, but we took some shots Saturday, some worked and some didn't. And maybe I was sitting in 2 degree weather watching a different game Saturday but I saw our bubble screen game put on a clinic for how they should work.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Sez buys the staff time.

I actually think this turns up the heat on Rhoads. If there is another season next year like this year, his seat is VERY hot especially if no offensive changes were made to the staff. I think there is more pressure starting the minute after the WVU game is over then CPR has faced in his coaching career.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
And I guarantee you after a couple bad outings by the offense some of you guys will be ready to fire the new guy too.

Or....this is a fan base tired of horrid offensive production from each of the last 2 coordinators, with Messingham taking it to a new low.

I went to cfbstats.com and checked out the bottom 40 in FBS scoring offense for the last five years (presently there are 125 FBS teams). Through the games so far this season, here are the teams that have been in the bottom 40 for all five years:
Memphis
Miami (OH)
Eastern Michigan
Iowa State

Lovely company there. Now, this list might change a bit, as there are a few more schools that have been there for four years, and might drop into the bottom 40 depending on how their last games go.

ISU lacks player development and stability at the key skill positions on offense. Rhoads has to fix this now, because the offense can't succeed without it.

For those interested, on the list for four out of the last five years of bottom 40 offense:

Akron, Buffalo, Colorado, Colorado State, Kansas, Kent State, Maryland, Minnesota, New Mexico State, Syracuse, Virginia

At least there are a few teams from the five major BCS conferences on this list...

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Haha thanks for making me laugh. I find it hilarious that you think just cause the fans don't like him that current and future players don't.

I don't know how many times you want him to throw deep, but we took some shots Saturday, some worked and some didn't. And maybe I was sitting in 2 degree weather watching a different game Saturday but I saw our bubble screen game put on a clinic for how they should work.
Bubble screen worked first time all season. It's no coincidence it happened against a bad KU team and in poor field conditions that slowed defender's response times.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Bubble screen worked first time all season. It's no coincidence it happened against a bad KU team and in poor field conditions that slowed defender's response times.

I saw it work numerous times this season, just like I saw it not work numerous times. And I consider it a successful play if it gets 3+ yards.

Listen I get that people are frustrated, but a new OC doesn't magically fix it. Remember when everyone wanted Scott Frost? With the talent he has at Oregon he couldn't even score more than 20 points on Arizona which is pathetic given the talent they have.

Last edited:

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
To the posters saying it won't matter because there will be posters calling for the new guys head after a bad outing or two, you aren't wrong there will be posters that do that. But there is a difference between people making emotional posts about bad outings, and what has happened this year. You could tell at the end of last season that the offense had regressed under Mess, then this year has been a entire year over everyone, at least wondering if the OC should be gone.

Like I have said before, if CPR won't fire him, I hope JP is the man I think he is. Put the pressure on CPR to do what is necessary. while CPR has the say of who is on his staff he still has a boss, and I am pretty sure with the SEZ announcement today there is plenty of pressure on CPR to find a way to get an offense on the field that can consistently get first downs. I am leary of Mess being gone, just don't like the vibe I get from CPR during press conferences and quotes, but we will probably know by the end of the first week of December. There have to be more qualified guys out there that are both better OC/QB coaches and that can recruit just as good.

I agree with this. We are gonna know real soon whether or not the move will be made. Sooner rather than later is my guess. If Mess is let go of, as the OC, it'll be used as a recruiting tool that presents the "promise of excellence, excitement and good things to come" with whoever they bring in. If he isn't removed as OC, it'll also be used as a recruiting tool in the form maintaining consistency, continuity, and experience. If I were a recruit, there's no doubt in my mind which direction I'd find to be more alluring......especially if I was a skill player on the offensive side of the ball.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron