OJ Mayo accepts tickets from 'Melo, could be NCAA rule violation

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Well if the NCAA can be so ticky-tack with Lucca, why wouldn't they be ticky-tack with OJ? Oh yeah, it's USC, they always get their way.

Exactly. People may not think of this as a big deal but in all of our minds, Lucca not taking any money for playing basketball didn't seem like a big deal either.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The rule has always been that a player cannot get something not available to the rest of the student body. He obviously got the tickets because he plays basketball.

Either way I'm sure the NCAA in all of its wisdom will find a loop hole that he doesn't get in trouble.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The rule has always been that a player cannot get something not available to the rest of the student body. He obviously got the tickets because he plays basketball.

Either way I'm sure the NCAA in all of its wisdom will find a loop hole that he doesn't get in trouble.

Again, the rule says he can if he is friends with Melo. They talked the night before, he offered him tickets, its ok. Same as when I took a bunch of friends, baseball and basketball players, up to a Twins game with free tickets from a Twins player.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

Living in L.A. I have season tickets to a couple of the pro teams, I have given these tickets to college kids to go to games numerous times.

So the student body has access to tickets, this is just another reason why the NCAA should clean house. They have all these rules
so the clowns in Indy can maintain their cushy well paying jobs.

Let it go NCAA, the madness needs to stop somewhere.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Its good to see there is a rule where a friend can give complimentary tix to another friend. IMO the NCAA is pretty much out of control when it comes to controlling everything.....I don't think anything should happen to OJ.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
Again, the rule says he can if he is friends with Melo. They talked the night before, he offered him tickets, its ok. Same as when I took a bunch of friends, baseball and basketball players, up to a Twins game with free tickets from a Twins player.

Would it be the same if a car dealer gave a car to a player but after said they were friends so it is ok? I don't personally see anything wrong with it, but after some rulings the NCAA has given out to others this seems improper.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Its good to see there is a rule where a friend can give complimentary tix to another friend. IMO the NCAA is pretty much out of control when it comes to controlling everything.....I don't think anything should happen to OJ.

The NCAA needs to monitor things like this. We have no idea if Mayo and Carmelo are friends or if they just met the night before the game.

If you start allowing this kind of stuff, who is to say that Mayo "future" agent (which he already has right now) won't get more tickets and other things friends can supply from professional athletes?? All they have to do is say they are "friends" with the college kid and that makes it ok...

Cloner97

Apr 11, 2006
I'll be the first to say I haven't researched what the circimstances are. But, it sound like these two guys were out somewhere? Isn't OJ a Freshman? Maybe he's a Curtis Stinson tyope freshman and is already 20. Still underage though......

Tweedt4Cy

Apr 14, 2007
Ankeny
Even though i dont agree with the ncaa's decision on lucca i still dont believe they will do anything about this situation. its not just because they are usc though. I dont think they have proof that mayo isnt friends with melo. (personal opinion) also i dont know if any of you saw the story about mayo on sc. i thought it was a very good story, and some people on here are hating on the kid cause he goes to usc. I like the kid as a player. STUD! Still dont think there gonna do anything about this situation though.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
The NCAA needs to monitor things like this. We have no idea if Mayo and Carmelo are friends or if they just met the night before the game.

If you start allowing this kind of stuff, who is to say that Mayo "future" agent (which he already has right now) won't get more tickets and other things friends can supply from professional athletes?? All they have to do is say they are "friends" with the college kid and that makes it ok...

I was listening to Mike and Mike this morning and they said that Melo and Mayo have been friends since middle school.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I thought Jiri was "friends" with those people - didn't they know his family or something.

And he was nailed.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
The issue isn't that USC is doing anything wrong.

The issue is that it could be considered improper in they could be wooing Mayo to be a Nugget, or Anthony could be working on the behalf of any one of his sponsors that he promotes to later sign Mayo, and so on.

Michael Jordan got slapped last year for speaking with Kevin Durant - kind of the same thing.

In that case, the NCAA should use its 'supreme powers' to declare Carmello Anthony ineligible for the rest of this NBA season and make the Nuggets ineligible for any post-season play to to the extra benefits doled out my Mr. Anthony. Furthermore, all victories achieved by the Nuggets during the 2007-2008 season with Anthony on the court will go down as forfeit losses.

The NCAA has power to do this, right? At least I'm sure they think they have this power! :wink:

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
The NCAA is very messed up. There is no reason that this should be a problem...it is just a friend giving a friend a couple of tickets. I certainly don't know all of the NCAA rules (I doubt anyone does since they have so many), but unless there is one that specifically says that a scholarship athlete cannot accept complimentary tickets under any circumstances then nothing was done wrong here.

The NCAA, I believe, is trying to limit undue influence on kids. What influence would Carmelo be trying to exert on Mayo? To come to the Nuggets? Please! The draft will decide where Mayo goes and the NCAA doesn't govern the NBA anyway. It would be different if Mayo was still pondering his college options and a high profile person like Carmelo from Syracuse was giving him things...but that is not the case here.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
The NCAA is very messed up. There is no reason that this should be a problem...it is just a friend giving a friend a couple of tickets. I certainly don't know all of the NCAA rules (I doubt anyone does since they have so many), but unless there is one that specifically says that a scholarship athlete cannot accept complimentary tickets under any circumstances then nothing was done wrong here.

The NCAA, I believe, is trying to limit undue influence on kids. What influence would Carmelo be trying to exert on Mayo? To come to the Nuggets? Please! The draft will decide where Mayo goes and the NCAA doesn't govern the NBA anyway. It would be different if Mayo was still pondering his college options and a high profile person like Carmelo from Syracuse was giving him things...but that is not the case here.
Yeah I agree with this...although, I'm not so sure it would matter even if OJ was in high school and receiving tix, etc. from Melo. I think the question is whether Melo is a booster of the school OJ was looking to go to. IE, if OJ was going to Syracuse it would be a problem, assuming Melo is a booster of that school.

To be honest though, I don't fully understand there rules, so I'm not going to try to be the authority on this.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Not sure if this has been posted yet but now Floyd is going into spin mode with this as well: ESPN - Floyd says he gave Mayo permission to accept free tickets from Melo - Men's College Basketball

Bottom line this ticks me off because you know he'll get a slap on the wrist for it most likely and then you have us who has Lucca that got the royal hose job for NOT accepting money or gifts and the Jiri mess awhile back was a joke too. Bottom line, if you are a big name athlete playing for a big name school you'll likely get nothing more than a slap on the wrist unless you really did something bad. If you play for someone no one cares much about nationally you can expect the book to be thrown at you.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron