Officiating Blunder at end of CU game

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
So many posts quickly went right to the play, instead of the debacle that was us technically not even getting the play off in time. If that's a reviewable play (not sure it is), it doesn't matter if we score up the gut or on the option - it would not have counted.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
If you can't get one yard of push from your offense line with the game on the line, something is wrong. Those guys are big and strong. You get them in the huddle tell them "The game is on you guys"...1 yard!

Ryan Kock was a good thing.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Our inability to a) get pressure b) get pressure even when blitzing c) can't stick with a receiver for more than 3 seconds, if we're with him from the snap ... are problems #1, 2 and 3 right now. Most of what's wrong with the '08 Clones is on THAT side of the ball. Not the offense.

Maybe McFarland made some gaffs. Maybe. But Bolt really needs to get his and his crews' act together ASAP.

What really makes it frustrating is that our defense has played very well at times. My Mizzou friends saw the highlights of Colorado's comeback in the 4th quarter and they couldn't believe how wide open Colorado's receivers were. I don't care how much pressure the defensive line is getting. There is no excuse for guys getting that open. I have a feeling the redshirt on Dustin Land would have been pulled if ISU had more to play for.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
What really makes it frustrating is that our defense has played very well at times. My Mizzou friends saw the highlights of Colorado's comeback in the 4th quarter and they couldn't believe how wide open Colorado's receivers were. I don't care how much pressure the defensive line is getting. There is no excuse for guys getting that open. I have a feeling the redshirt on Dustin Land would have been pulled if ISU had more to play for.

I agree to a point. You can't expect the secondary to cover guys for extended periods of time. At some point, we have to pressure the QB - and didn't.

But yes - we had bad, bad, bad coverages at times where guys not only got open, but a few times were never covered to start with.

And several of those times, the spaces came because we blitzed off the corner or with one of our OLBs and STILL didn't get pressure.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
So many posts quickly went right to the play, instead of the debacle that was us technically not even getting the play off in time. .

It kills me how many times, in deep red-zone, that we've had problems getting in a play. It started with the Iowa game, when we were called twice for delay of game inside their 15 and has continued almost every game this season.

It's like when we get down there, a brain freeze develops and all of a sudden we don't know what play to call.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
It kills me how many times, in deep red-zone, that we've had problems getting in a play. It started with the Iowa game, when we were called twice for delay of game inside their 15 and has continued almost every game this season.

It's like when we get down there, a brain freeze develops and all of a sudden we don't know what play to call.

I wouldn't mind seeing a rule change that could improve the quality of football in the red zone. The defense already gets an advantage from the compressed field so why make it so difficult for the offense to get the desired personnel in the game.

One option could be to add 5 seconds to the play clock when a team gets into the red zone. It would not extend the game much and would likely result in more TD's and fewer FG attempts.

A better option might be to allow the team sideline to move further down the field to follow the action. Players could sub in and out easier without having to run the extra 25 yards or so back and forth.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
The referees botched a pretty bad intentional grounding that would have been on CU earlier in the game, too. Not a good officiated game, but it didn't cost us a win.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
In fact, unless I missed something that was a TEXTBOOK PI call.

I have no idea what they could've seen that made that play legal.

BTW - I HATE the out of the pocket, non-PI rule.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
Our defense problem is not enough B12 quality players. The first group and part of the second are there but we need more. We can't spell our guys during the game and they are gassed by the end. If GC keeps getting quality recruits this problem will fix itself and Bolt will look like a genius. If not, he will be CF fodder!

Benny34

Nov 29, 2007
Our defense problem is not enough B12 quality players. The first group and part of the second are there but we need more. We can't spell our guys during the game and they are gassed by the end. If GC keeps getting quality recruits this problem will fix itself and Bolt will look like a genius. If not, he will be CF fodder!
:biglaugh::biglaugh:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Personally, that last play of the game I really thought MacF was getting WAY too cute. There are certain times in the game when running a cutesy play like the option is acceptable - on the half yard line with three seconds to go is not one of those times. Way too many things can, and did, go wrong. Why not count on the offensive line to get one yard and sneak Arnaud? Or, if you're afraid of Arnaud getting hurt, why not blast it inside with Scales? Or, if you HAD to take it outside, why not fake the handoff to Scales and roll Arnaud out? At least then you'd be drawing the defenders into the offensive line.

I think it's time that Arnaud be allowed to audible at the line of scrimmage. He had to be thinking "Wow, they've overloaded the right side, this option play ain't gonna work (turns to look at the sidelines) WHAT? They're not changing the play? WTF?"

I'm not usually one to question the playcalling decisions of coaches, because they've spent years perfecting their craft and are getting paid a hell of a lot more than I to do it. But that was so obviously the WRONG call.

I haven't lost faith in Chizik yet - way too early for that. But I am losing faith in MacF. Granted, not all of the pieces are there yet, but playcalling has been atrocious at times. Too early for me to make a sane call on Bolt right now - he has way too many holes in the lineup.

bufante

Nov 27, 2006
DMI
Anyone wonder why we didn't get a first down just a few seconds earlier? Or even that we didn't have that play reviewed? We had to burn a timeout that we otherwise would not have had to do. That hurt a lot.

Either way, I think when you have 1 play to run, to get about a yard, you run your best play (statistically) that you can. I am willing to bet the option is not one of our top plays.

Oh well, I did like the tight end play in that drive, took a while to develop, but looked great.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Anyone wonder why we didn't get a first down just a few seconds earlier? Or even that we didn't have that play reviewed? We had to burn a timeout that we otherwise would not have had to do. That hurt a lot.

It appeared to be close enough to warrant a measurement.

However the play that baffles me a bit more is our second timeout with 0:40 to go. ARob had just rattled off a 27 yard rush for a 1st down. And we burn a TO? The clock stops with the 1st down. We can't get up there and run a legit play from the CU 14?

Seemed like a waste of TO to me.

Could have used that TO after the Darks reception. Probably had time to run two plays and take our time in doing so.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
The last time I saw a call like that..? .. 2002 Florida State game, option right called by non other than STEVE Fricken BRICKEY.

that's all I have to say.. movin on.

Reactions: Flag Guy

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Personally, that last play of the game I really thought MacF was getting WAY too cute. There are certain times in the game when running a cutesy play like the option is acceptable - on the half yard line with three seconds to go is not one of those times. Way too many things can, and did, go wrong. Why not count on the offensive line to get one yard and sneak Arnaud? Or, if you're afraid of Arnaud getting hurt, why not blast it inside with Scales? Or, if you HAD to take it outside, why not fake the handoff to Scales and roll Arnaud out? At least then you'd be drawing the defenders into the offensive line.

I think it's time that Arnaud be allowed to audible at the line of scrimmage. He had to be thinking "Wow, they've overloaded the right side, this option play ain't gonna work (turns to look at the sidelines) WHAT? They're not changing the play? WTF?"

I'm not usually one to question the playcalling decisions of coaches, because they've spent years perfecting their craft and are getting paid a hell of a lot more than I to do it. But that was so obviously the WRONG call.

I haven't lost faith in Chizik yet - way too early for that. But I am losing faith in MacF. Granted, not all of the pieces are there yet, but playcalling has been atrocious at times. Too early for me to make a sane call on Bolt right now - he has way too many holes in the lineup.

agree totally here.