*** Official "Yikes" Postgame Thread ***

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Recent history doesn't suggest that ISU plays well in the Big XII tourney, so there's plenty of reason to not feel good.

I have a hard time getting overly excited for the NCAA's with how this team has played at times.. Of course, that's partially because expectations are higher than just getting there this year.

I think we can win 2 in the NCAA. I'll be ok with that. Anything more is gravy. New teams that haven't seen us yet and that will help our cause.

We might be riding a 4 game losing streak going into it though.

gordocyclone

Nov 10, 2013
We simply are not that good. I wonder if we will ever be very good. When I say good I mean a final four team. I hope that Fred can do it but not sure it possible at Iowa State.

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
Needed more side to side passing against the zone. That and 3 pt shooting is how we've taken Scott Drew's lunch money over his career. Unfortunately we only had one of the two requisites tonight. That we lost isn't disappointing, how we've lost our last few games on the road is disappointing. Gotta pick up the intensity for 40 minutes and make smart plays from here on out. This team has the ability, just gotta stay focused and hungry.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Couldn't beat a desperate team. Not the end of the world.

Just disappointing they were in the position to win both the KSU and Baylor games in the last two minutes and couldn't get it done.
Lot of that going around this time of year. And if that what it takes......then maybe the guys should follow suit. Because saying "at least we weren't desperate" is a cold consolation.

CloneDontCare

Jul 27, 2009
This was far from our worst game of the season as a team. For Niang and Ejim, yes, worst game of the year, but as a team? No way. We almost won on the road, when 2 of our best players couldnt hit anything.

Move on to OSU.

But other players WERE hitting shots, but Niang and Ejim tried to be stars anyway. That is a team problem. The rest of the team could have won it.

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012
I've come to the realization we're a sweet 16 team at best. It'll take one team with a solid zone and size much like Baylor. Whether it be San Diego State or Syracuse a team like that will end our season. It's nothing to be upset about considering how awesome of a year we're having in the toughest conference in the country. Ejim and Niang not showing up didn't help, obviously. I'm sure I'll be called a poor fan bla bla bla but its pretty easy to realize really.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
That Cherry is a ******* piece of **** dunking the ball when up 10. I really hope we meet Baylor again. I really do. What mother ******* piece of work.

Really?? that's what bothers you? Not that Iowa St played like dog ****? Dunk away, those guys deserve a little humility. They are not above everyone else.

Snyder21

Apr 25, 2012
Sioux City, IA
Coming onto CF after a loss is a joke. We've seen that this time can play with the best of them. We haven't been playing our best basketball but the only game that hasn't been competitive is the WV game. This is what happens when you play in the hardest conference in basketball. Get over it people. It's not like our team's going to suck in the tourney all of a sudden. All your negativity is pointless.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Not good at all. If I were Kane, I think I would be ******. Niang has not shown up for the last 2 games now, and Ejim has been as inconsistent as hell lately. One night he is great, the next he looks like a freshman.

Ideally, you want your team to be peaking going into the post-season. This team is far from it and is not going to accomplish it in one game.

Disappointed. This team did not look ready and prepared for the last 2 games. They should have won both of them and built the momentum. Instead, a couple of the stars fall on their faces.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
We lost the game because we give our players the green light to shoot.

If Ejim and Niang had just backed off for the last five minutes, we would have had a chance. But no. They decided they needed to be the heroes after being completely useless for 35 minutes.

I'm not angry they missed a lot of shots. I'm ****ing ****** at them for taking the shots they did in the situation we were in.

But maybe I should blame Fred for that.

I agree to an extent. Kane was being blanketed and Naz, Morris, Thomas and Hogue would do anything when passed the ball. There was no choice.

Last edited:

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Limping into the post season is usually a recipe for a quick exit.

ISUagger

Jan 31, 2012
Ames
I think tonight is a good night for most of us here to stay off cyclone fanatic. Including myself. I'll be back tomorrow.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
How often are major conference teams a 12 or lower?

Well with my post I said if we have to play a 12 or Higher. Mean 6-12. There are plenty of major conference teams that are in that range. By no means am I saying ISU loses, I am just wondering how we can keep playing poorly on the road and win these game. It was just a question.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
But other players WERE hitting shots, but Niang and Ejim tried to be stars anyway. That is a team problem. The rest of the team could have won it.

That isnt a team problem, if anything, Hoiberg should have sat them and run the offense through someone else.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
I think Hoiberg had a game plan and he wanted them to win or lose with it. Insisted on trying to force the ball into the lane against the zone, but we just couldn't get it done. Way too many turnovers.

Yet, with 2 minutes left, we are in the game. And getting the ball in #1's hands so that he is taking long two's was what I was hoping to see. Too bad he made them.

I think Hoiberg may be working with the team to get them to be disciplined. Even though they didn't win, I hope they learned a lesson about how important it is to execute at the end of a game.
That is comical.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
That wasn't that bad, geez you people are starting to act like Hok fans. We win a coupe we should and were going to the final four and then lose two tough games and you're burning tickets. We were tied at 61 with two stars struggling. I hate to say it but they were well prepared and their size really got into iur heads.