Official Winter Storm Thread for 12/21 - 12/26

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
Looks like we're going to be heading home (Rochester/Mason City area) Tuesday night just in case. Really not up for driving I-35 in a blizzard on a high traffic day.

Good decision. When I checked NWS earlier tonight, at least 50% chance of snow up here from Wed into Friday.

20% for wintry mix Tuesday/Tuesday night.

MrsWx4Cy

Dec 5, 2007
I found out on Friday that our company is giving us Xmas eve day off. We are heading to Carroll from Ames. Trying to decide when to leave as we have to be in Carroll for Christmas Eve. I trust you on this Metinka!!

With the last blizzard a couple weeks ago, all the models were in agreement and we could tell days out that a foot of snow was going to happen. This time it's a different story. We do know that we will likely be impacted by a major winter storm during the Wednesday/Thursday timeframe but the details including precipitation type and intensity aren't as clear. It could be another snow event or a wintry mess including frozen/freezing precip. We're all looking forward to the details on timing and such that should begin to clarify themselves later tomorrow I would think. So pretty much yes it looks like a storm of some type somewhere near here and we'll find out more details tomorrow and Tuesday. Sorry I can't be more helpful now, but it would be foolish of me to attempt it when we just don't know yet. If you leave tonight, travel should be ok...:wink:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
All I know is that Tuesday morning I leave to drive to Oklahoma for work, Wednesday about 5 PM I'll head back to Ames (get here about 2 AM), grab some stuff from the house and head to Cedar Falls for Xmas with my fiances family, then Christmas morning we head over by Clinton for my families Xmas and no amount of snow or ice will stop me.

cloneluke80

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
All I know is that Tuesday morning I leave to drive to Oklahoma for work, Wednesday about 5 PM I'll head back to Ames (get here about 2 AM), grab some stuff from the house and head to Cedar Falls for Xmas with my fiances family, then Christmas morning we head over by Clinton for my families Xmas and no amount of snow or ice will stop me.

You ever been stranded in a ditch?

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Nope, and don't plan to be either. 2 years ago I drove from Wichita, KS to Des Moines in a snow storm so I can handle it

how well you can or can't handle it will be determined more likely from the other drivers on the road.

You have all these people driving down the road at 10 or 20 under the speed limit but still tailgating the car in front of them. It really makes you wonder about some of these people out driving around.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
how well you can or can't handle it will be determined more likely from the other drivers on the road.

this is very true. Someone starts fishtailing in front of you, and no matter how well you were keeping it in control, they may limit your options. I was driving up to Dubuque few years back in december, and the car in front of me started to lose it. In order to avoid that car, i ended up doing a 360 while going through the median and stopping on the shoulder of the median facing oncoming traffic. Very scary experience.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
With the last blizzard a couple weeks ago, all the models were in agreement and we could tell days out that a foot of snow was going to happen. This time it's a different story. We do know that we will likely be impacted by a major winter storm during the Wednesday/Thursday timeframe but the details including precipitation type and intensity aren't as clear. It could be another snow event or a wintry mess including frozen/freezing precip. We're all looking forward to the details on timing and such that should begin to clarify themselves later tomorrow I would think. So pretty much yes it looks like a storm of some type somewhere near here and we'll find out more details tomorrow and Tuesday. Sorry I can't be more helpful now, but it would be foolish of me to attempt it when we just don't know yet. If you leave tonight, travel should be ok...:wink:

How would YOU know?:jimlad:

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
I've lived in the DSM metro 13 years in March and Old Man Winter hasn't prevented me yet from making it home for Christmas, this time around...i'm not sure. My wife and I went to the store tonight and bought all of the fixings for a Turkey dinner on Friday.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'm ******, I'm supposed to be driving home to Newton from Chicago on Thursday for Christmas. However, it looks as though it might be a little hard. If it's going to be really bad Thursday, I can drive home late Wednesday night after work. But, It sounds like it might be bad both of those days. I hope I don't have to spend Christmas all by my lonesome at my apt, unable to make it home...

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I'm ******, I'm supposed to be driving home to Newton from Chicago on Thursday for Christmas. However, it looks as though it might be a little hard. If it's going to be really bad Thursday, I can drive home late Wednesday night after work. But, It sounds like it might be bad both of those days. I hope I don't have to spend Christmas all by my lonesome at my apt, unable to make it home...

Sounds like if you wait to leave till Christmas day it might be ok to drive. Not ideal but may still work out.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Sounds like if you wait to leave till Christmas day it might be ok to drive. Not ideal but may still work out.
Yeah, I might be having to do that. I guess I'll just wait and see Wednesday morning to see what the weather is going to do. Hopefully something happens and the storm heads farther south or something.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
Hopefully something happens and the storm heads farther south or something.

Really doesn't look like that's going to happen. Pretty good chance this is going to take Iowa head on.

The one potential out here is if this thing can pull the warm air in strong enough and far enough to change a lot of this to rain. Of course, this opens the door to frz rain too, but the best case here may be a ton of rain...

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Really doesn't look like that's going to happen. Pretty good chance this is going to take Iowa head on.

The one potential out here is if this thing can pull the warm air in strong enough and far enough to change a lot of this to rain. Of course, this opens the door to frz rain too, but the best case here may be a ton of rain...
Well darn...
Now, saying I had to travel to get home and the roads were "driveable" when would be the best time to tackle I-80 from Chicago to central Iowa? Late Wednesday night or Thursday morning?

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa

I will take any amount of snow over freezing rain any day.

Reactions: kkise

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Well darn...
Now, saying I had to travel to get home and the roads were "driveable" when would be the best time to tackle I-80 from Chicago to central Iowa? Late Wednesday night or Thursday morning?

I imagine if there is a time period where there is less than 1" of snow a hour the interstates will stay somewhat clear. Those usually have priority over other roads. If there is alot of wind and blowing snow it may not matter when you leave.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I will take any amount of snow over freezing rain any day.
How true.
I was walking out of work tonight and apparently there was a tiny tiny bit of freezing rain, covered my a nice layer of fresh snow and I damn near fell flat on my face. Kinda funny after the fact because I could just picture the look on my face when it happened, but scared the crap outta me. :biglaugh:

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I imagine if there is a time period where there is less than 1" of snow a hour the interstates will stay somewhat clear. Those usually have priority over other roads. If there is alot of wind and blowing snow it may not matter when you leave.
Is this system supposed to be windy like the last one?