***Official What Bowl Are We Going To Thread***

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Why do you think Holiday bowl takes a sinking tech team over WVU???? Both will likely be 7-5. MCC then takes tech. Our most lkely bowl is pinstripe, unless baylor beats osu snd leapfrogs us or pinstripe passes on us snce last year.

If that happens, Pinstripe is in a tough spot. Take ISU AGAIN, probably with less fans due to NYC fatigue, or else Baylor or TCU, who probably will bring even less fans than that.

I griped a lot about NYC last year, but went anyway, and it was actually pretty decent. I think I'd go again, although with the pending fiscal cliff and a big tax check to write, not sure if can afford it...

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
When was the last time a team from an automatic qualifying conference was left home? Also keep in mind that there are two Big 10 teams that will not be bowling.

Iowa 2007 was 6-6 and stayed home. Although I think the 7-5 first rule was in effect then and it is not anymore. Not sure if there was one since then but Iowa fans are more known for travel then we are, lucky we don't have to worry about that rule anymore.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Why do you think Holiday bowl takes a sinking tech team over WVU???? Both will likely be 7-5. MCC then takes tech. Our most lkely bowl is pinstripe, unless baylor beats osu snd leapfrogs us or pinstripe passes on us snce last year.

Is this how you see it?

Fiesta - Kansas State
Sugar - Oklahoma
Cotton - Texas
Alamo - Oklahoma State
Buffalo Wild Wings - TCU
Holiday - West Virginia
Meineke Car Care - Texas Tech

Leaving Iowa State and Baylor for the Pinstripe and Heart of Dallas.

I guess I just don't see West Virginia getting picked over Tech to go to San Diego. That's a long way for WVU fans. That might be a bowl that they never go to - especially when there's a more viable option on the table like TTU. Tech will send more fans, and they're going to have the same record (assuming WVU beats KU).

I think it's quite likely that if the conference gets two in the BCS, it will be us, WVU, and Baylor for the MCC, Pinstripe, and HoD - and the Pinstripe will do whatever it can to get WVU. It'll basically come down to which team the MCC Bowl wants between us and BU, and the leftover school will go to HoD.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Kansas State
11-1
Fiesta
Oklahoma
10-2
Sugar
Texas
8-4
Cotton
Oklahoma State
8-4
Alamo
Texas Tech
7-5
Buffalo Wild Wings
TCU
7-5
Holiday
West Virginia
7-5
Pinstripe
Iowa State
6-6
Heart of Dallas
Baylor
6-6
Meineke Car Care
Kansas
1-11
This is my prediction.

All I want is the Houston or Dallas Bowl.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Here are the latest CBS projections for the Big 12:

Fiesta: Kansas State (vs. Oregon)
Sugar: Oklahoma (vs. Florida)
Cotton: Texas (vs. Texas A&M)
Alamo: TCU (vs. UCLA)
Buffalo Wild Wings: Oklahoma State (vs. Michigan State)
Holiday: Texas Tech (vs. Oregon State)
Meineke Car Care: Baylor (vs. Minnesota)
Pinstripe: West Virginia (vs. Syracuse)
Heart of Dallas: Iowa State (vs. Purdue)

At this point I would be pleased with that. Way better than Shreveport.

I know this is pointless but things would be a lot more interesting if we were 7-5. Would love to have taken Tech's spot in a fairly prestigious game against a ranked but beatable Oregon State team.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
They will be wondering if WVU fans will travel across the country to go to a game, unlike Tech fans. TCU is also 7-5 so where would they be going? WVU is the perfect fit for the Pinstripe regardless of record. Of course it all depends on if OU and KSU wins out.

Pinstripe may be the perfect fit for WVU but holiday picks first. Alamo will take TCU or OSU, BWW OSU,TCU or WVU, Holiday will take whichever is left of these 3. Tech will go to MCC. Pinstripe normally would take ISU but may take Baylor because of last year. Leaving ISU or Baylor to the HofD, whichever pinstripe doesnt take. If big 12 gets only 1... we are going at Large. I think all 3 of these scenarios are equally likely but I highly doubt WVU ends up in Pinstripe. They travel well and are big national brand; they are the most atractive 7-5 for every bowl outside of Texas.

On a side note WVU going to any of these teir 2 bowls a year after BCS game despite havingnearly most ofin the teama back (that clobbered the ACC champ) should give the ACC teams pause about jumping ship unless to B1G.

Last edited:

TwisterHead

Aug 13, 2012
Ugh....as much as I hate to say it, I would hate to go to heart of Dallas bowl. Nothing about it looks appealing to me. Would rather go to pinstripe again but what really has my panties in a bunch is the meineke car care bowl. I understand that Baylor is closer but wtf, we beat them! Game time, date, television...everything more appealing then heart of dallas bowl. What has to happen to get meineke car care bowl? If Baylor loses to osu? What about a Kansas upset over WV? (I know I know....)

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Ugh....as much as I hate to say it, I would hate to go to heart of Dallas bowl. Nothing about it looks appealing to me. Would rather go to pinstripe again but what really has my panties in a bunch is the meineke car care bowl. I understand that Baylor is closer but wtf, we beat them! Game time, date, television...everything more appealing then heart of dallas bowl. What has to happen to get meineke car care bowl? If Baylor loses to osu? What about a Kansas upset over WV? (I know I know....)

Date more appealing??? Heart of Dallas Bowl is on New Year's Day!

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Date more appealing??? Heart of Dallas Bowl is on New Year's Day!

agree that the date is good (presigious?) but it's on ESPNU at the same time as 3 other bowls. Not really ideal when it comes to eyeballs on the tv

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
MCC Bowl is on ESPN. On December 28th (a Friday) at 8:00pm Central. Only bowl game on at the time.

In comparison, HoD Bowl is on ESPNU on New Year's Day at 11:00am Central. The Gator Bowl on ESPN2 also starts at 11:00 and the Outback Bowl on ESPN and Capital One Bowl on ABC both start at noon. Lots to compete with.

More to compete with, but also a larger audience since most have that day off.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
We are best with only one BCS Team from the Big 12, that puts us either in the Dallas bowl or at large. If we are at large, Iowa state would have SIX bowls with opening and we would be the only BCS school available to them. The bowls include:
Compass-Burmingham
Music City-Nashville
Independence-Shreveport
Military-Washington DC
Little Cesers-Detroit
Beef O Grady's-St.Petersburg

In this scenario I believe we'd choose Nashville on Dec.31. Being "at large" this year might be our best choice!

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
It's really about matchup as opposed to destination when you are playing in the bottom of the barrel bowls, while playing at a crappy time looks like this Music City Bowl will have an eligible team as an opponent where the rest of the bowls will have a non-BCS opponent

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I want either the Heart of Dallas or Car Care bowl. I would rather go to Texas than New York for a bowl game for many reasons (weather, recruiting) and the dates for those bowl games are also good. One is on a Friday night, the other on New Years day

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I don't think the Music City Bowl will have an at-large spot open.

It is ACC #6 vs. SEC #7 or #8.

ACC will get one in the BCS, so it will have the sixth pick there. SEC will get two, so let's say it'll have the ninth pick there.

The ACC has six teams bowl eligible (not counting Miami and UNC), and the SEC has nine. They will be able to fill the slots in the Music City Bowl. Where did we get the idea otherwise?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Looking at the list of at-large bowls posted earlier in the thread:

Music City Bowl will be filled - SEC and ACC have enough
Liberty Bowl will be filled - either SEC (has enough) or Big East (could have enough) vs. C-USA
Military Bowl will be filled - MAC contingency vs. C-USA
Belk Bowl will be filled - Big East and ACC have enough

Here are the openings that I see:

Beef O'Brady's Bowl would be filled if UConn and Pitt both win next week - if one loses, it will have an opening to play C-USA #3.
Little Caesar's Bowl will have one opening, to play MAC #1.
Independence Bowl will have two openings.
Compass Bowl will have at least one and maybe two openings depending on the Big East situation.

This is the page that I am referring to for this. We are getting all excited about Music City Bowl when it isn't even an option.

Independence Bowl has the highest payout out of those four options, FYI, so if we are at-large, looks like Shreveport.

I'm hoping for Dallas.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
UCLA got a waiver in an identical situation last year so I wouldn't hold out hope otherwise.

Not an identical situation what so ever. UCLA got the waiver because they were the 2nd best team in their division, and had to play in the Pac 12 Championship game because USC was on probation.

Help Support Us

Become a patron