***Official What Bowl Are We Going To Thread***

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Rice has beaten UTEP to get the C-USA five eligible teams, so the Military Bowl looks to be off the list of bowls that will have open slots. Not an option any more, if the MAC contingency stuff is accurate.

Not true. It will be MAC vs. At-large. Since Army didn't make it, it will still be open.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Not true. It will be MAC vs. At-large. Since Army didn't make it, it will still be open.

This and this both tell me that the #5 pick in C-USA will face the #4 pick from the MAC in the Military Bowl this season, because Army and the ACC didn't make it.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
So why wouldn't we just decline a HOD bid to go to the at-large pool and get a bid to the Music City Bowl? It's against an 8-4 Vandy or 8-4 Miss State and has the largest pay out available. It's closer travel for fans, is in a nice city, and played in an NFL stadium. Its on ESPN and is the only game in its time slot. I guess it might just be me, but why not try to go to Nashville at all costs?

Edit: Clemson lost so it probably does not matter as we get 2 BCS teams.

Last edited:

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
This is what I was wondering, perhaps the Big 12 has a rule that we are bound to accept the offer with the highest payout. We will get an offer from literally every bowl with an open slot, so I also wonder if we'll get to be selective or if our decision will be made for us, just like any other bowl.

Here is the payout list of bowls that may have open slots

Music City - 1.84 Mil
Belk- 1.7 mil
Liberty- 1.44 Mil
Independence - 1.12 mil
Military - 1 mil
Compass- 1 mil
Pizza bowl- .75 mil
Beef O brady's- .5 mil

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
So why wouldn't we just decline a HOD bid to go to the at-large pool and get a bid to the Music City Bowl? It's against an 8-4 Vandy or 8-4 Miss State and has the largest pay out available. It's closer travel for fans, is in a nice city, and played in an NFL stadium. Its on ESPN and is the only game in its time slot. I guess it might just be me, but why not try to go to Nashville at all costs?

Pretty sure we can't do that because HOD is a Big 12 bowl. If you get a bid from a Big 12 bowl you have to take it, I think.

For reference the HOD Bowl payout is 1.2 million, so three of the potential at-large bowls (Music City, Belk, Liberty) would actually pay more

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Independence Bowl?!?!? that would suck almost as bad as Pizza Bowl. :mad:

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Edit: Clemson lost so it probably does not matter as we get 2 BCS teams.

See the earlier discussion about Boise State and Kent State... two in the BCS for the Big 12 is far from certain, although the Clemson loss certainly helps

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
This and this both tell me that the #5 pick in C-USA will face the #4 pick from the MAC in the Military Bowl this season, because Army and the ACC didn't make it.

I guess I was looking at the wrong info...I think you're right. It will be MAC vs. Conf USA

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Pretty sure we can't do that because HOD is a Big 12 bowl. If you get a bid from a Big 12 bowl you have to take it, I think.

For reference the HOD Bowl payout is 1.2 million, so three of the potential at-large bowls (Music City, Belk, Liberty) would actually pay more

If the Big 12 only gets 1 team in the BCS, we should be able to decline the bid as Baylor could take it. If we have two and are the last team available, I doubt we can.

And good point about Boise and Kent, but I'd be surprised if that happened though.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
If the Big 12 only gets 1 team in the BCS, we should be able to decline the bid as Baylor could take it. If we have two and are the last team available, I doubt we can.

And good point about Boise and Kent, but I'd be surprised if that happened though.

All teams from #15 to #25 lost this week, except #22 Boise and #23 Kent St, plus the teams with the best chance to still stay ahead of them have likely losses again next week.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I highly doubt that Boise and Kent St. make a BCS game. The bowls want schools who will bring fans!!!

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

I believe that Big 12 teams cannot decline bowl bids. I think I've heard this somewhere, and just looked for it but couldn't find any information.

I highly doubt that Boise and Kent St. make a BCS game. The bowls want schools who will bring fans!!!

It's not a matter of if they want to but a matter of if they have to. There's a real chance that one of those two could make it in and steal that final slot away from Oklahoma.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa

Exactly. The school's in front of them may have lost, but the voters will still not move them up much. Plus no one wants to see Kent State get slaughtered in a BCS game. Kent lost to 2-10 Kentucky for ****** sake.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
Exactly. The school's in front of them may have lost, but the voters will still not move them up much. Plus no one wants to see Kent State get slaughtered in a BCS game. Kent lost to 2-10 Kentucky for ****** sake.

Then why are they voting for them in the first place? They've been moving them up every week already.

I'll bet this will be closer than a lot of people here apparently think.

But the computers in the end will hopefully hold them out.

Last edited:

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Then why are they voting for them in the first place? They've been moving them up every week already.

I'll bet this will be closer than a lot of people here apparently think.

But the computers in the end will hopefully hold them out.

This is what I'm starting to think. This week I could see the minors jump to 17/18. But, it is going to be interesting