****Official What bowl are we going to Thread!***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
I think the holiday bowl would be the coolest one. We don't play Pac-12 teams very often.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If we end up playing Iowa in a bowl I won't even watch. Bowls aren't for rematches.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Sorry, I haven't read the previous posts but I want to say congrats...excellent game from an Iowa fan. I watched the entire game and the defense for ISU was impressive. I absolutely cannot believe you won the game with I believe 4 turnovers. That goes to show how dominant your defense was; to have that many to's and still win against the #2 team is impressive.

Rhoads is a classy guy and I am happy for you all!

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Just saw that Navy lost to San Jose St today. If I understand it right, that officially adds the Military bowl in Washington DC as a Big 12 bowl tie in after the Pinstripe bowl.

It will be interesting to see if both OU and Okla St both make the BCS or not. Just a recap on bowl tie ins for everyone in order of selection

BCS
Cotton-Dallas
Alamo-San Antonio
Insight-Phoenix
Holiday-San Diego
Texas-Houston
Pinstripe-New York
Military-Washington DC

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Just saw that Navy lost to San Jose St today. If I understand it right, that officially adds the Military bowl in Washington DC as a Big 12 bowl tie in after the Pinstripe bowl.

It will be interesting to see if both OU and Okla St both make the BCS or not. Just a recap on bowl tie ins for everyone in order of selection

BCS
Cotton-Dallas
Alamo-San Antonio
Insight-Phoenix
Holiday-San Diego
Texas-Houston
Pinstripe-New York
Military-Washington DC

That was my understanding, but the Wiki site says it is CUSA. Don't know if that is just because it has been in the past and no one has changed it or if it is true. Also, Big 12 site does not say anything about it on their website where they talk about bowl agreements. Still trying to find confirmation somewhere.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Who knows what will happen as there are a million senarios to play out, but a few interesting matchups are out there.

Holiday bowl rematch vs. Utah? A Holiday bowl game against Cal or UCLA would help recruiting too...

Texas bowl vs. Iowa/Nebraska/Ohio State?

Pinstripe bowl vs. Pitt (Rhoads connection) or West Virginia (B12 preview) or Louisville (B12 preview in a few years?)

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa

BCS
Cotton-Dallas
Alamo-San Antonio
Insight-Phoenix
Holiday-San Diego
Texas-Houston
Pinstripe-New York
Military-Washington DC

Holy crap you're right. Navy lost 27-24. If Baylor beats Tech next week, ISU is guaranteed a Big 12 bowl. SWEET!

My uneducated guess.

BCS - OU
Cotton - OSU
Alamo - Texas
Insight - Kansas State
Holiday - Iowa State
Texas - Baylor
Pinstripe - Texas A&M
Military - Mizzou

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
That was my understanding, but the Wiki site says it is CUSA. Don't know if that is just because it has been in the past and no one has changed it or if it is true. Also, Big 12 site does not say anything about it on their website where they talk about bowl agreements. Still trying to find confirmation somewhere.

No, that's wrong.

Big 12 got TicketCity bowl in 2010 and will in 2012, Military in 2013, and a conditional Military in 2011 if Navy or an ACC team is not available.

C-USA then gets TicketCity in 2011 and 2013 (non-Big 12 years). In 2010 and 2012 they go to Military instead of TicketCity. So this year C-USA has nothing to do with Military.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
By the way, the CUSA has 6 bowl tie-ins of their own (not counting Military). Right now they have 4 teams eligible and 4 more possible, but

4-6 UCF is currently playing 4-6 ECU. The loser of that is eliminated.

Then ECU plays 5-6 Marshall next week and ECU plays 5-6 UTEP. The losers of those games are eliminated. Mathematically, there will be 1 or 2 additional more CUSA teams bowl eligible. So, even if Military was CUSA bowl, they wouldn't have been able to fill it.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
By the way, the CUSA has 6 bowl tie-ins of their own (not counting Military). Right now they have 4 teams eligible and 4 more possible, but

4-6 UCF is currently playing 4-6 ECU. The loser of that is eliminated.

Then ECU plays 5-6 Marshall next week and ECU plays 5-6 UTEP. The losers of those games are eliminated. Mathematically, there will be 1 or 2 additional more CUSA teams bowl eligible. So, even if Military was CUSA bowl, they wouldn't have been able to fill it.

Yeah, I saw the same thing. They have 4 teams eligible, and will have 3 5-6 teams (UTEP, Marshall, and ECU/UCF winner from today) playing for 2 spots. UTEP at UCF, East Carolina at Marshall. Mathematically, since all these teams are playing each other, exactly 2 of those potential teams are guaranteed to go bowling so the conference will fill all 6 spots, but none more. I thought they could potentially come up one short, and potentially leave the Ticketcity bowl in the old cotton bowl available, but they will now be guaranteed to fill it.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Last edited:

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Yeah, I saw the same thing. They have 4 teams eligible, and will have 3 5-6 teams (UTEP, Marshall, and ECU/UCF winner from today) playing for 2 spots. UTEP at UCF, East Carolina at Marshall. Mathematically, since all these teams are playing each other, exactly 2 of those potential teams are guaranteed to go bowling so the conference will fill all 6 spots, but none more. I thought they could potentially come up one short, and potentially leave the Ticketcity bowl in the old cotton bowl available, but they will now be guaranteed to fill it.

They could still only have 5 if the loser of the ECU/UCF game wins next week because then 3 of the 4 would have their 7th loss.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Cyman,

According to http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...011-12/misc_non_event/m-footbl-guide-1112.pdf, on page 144, it says that if the CUSA has a seventh eligible team and either Navy or ACC team doesn't qualify, then CUSA gets the spot. That can't mathematically happen now, but this is official CUSA site. Is your information before the Big 12 shrinked to 10? We lost one bowl tie-in when that happened.

Who knows. In the end it doesn't matter with the C-USA, because mathematically they will have exactly 6 teams to fill their 6 spots. The only question is whether the B12 is a conditional tie-in as I thought they were or if the spot becomes an at-large bid. I'm assuming that if there is a B12 team available that they'll take a B12 team since they have a relationship together.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
I'm thinking that the Big XII is going to get two teams into the BCS, and that Holiday Bowl is select ISU over Texas teams. Is anybody from Texas willing to go to California if their team's bowl game is located there? I don't think so. The Holiday Bowl will look at ISU's fan base on how well they travel and select them. Or we can hope that they do.