*** Official West Virginia Vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Quick note on Bolton - the late free throw he missed was the first free throw he missed in the last 5 games. Over the last 9 games he is 35-38. If he can continue to get to the line like this that is a dimension we have not had in this program for a while. Continue to develop his left hand and honestly he could be an inch or two shorter Dwayne Wade. Yeah, pass me the kool aid.

I think Bolton will be OK. He is still just a soph. Biggest problem seems to be finishing at the rim, and maybe a year of getting older and stronger will help. Shooting a few more % from 3 wouldn't be bad either. He is kind of a poor man's Wiggington this year.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think Bolton will be OK. He is still just a soph. Biggest problem seems to be finishing at the rim, and maybe a year of getting older and stronger will help. Shooting a few more % from 3 wouldn't be bad either. He is kind of a poor man's Wiggington this year.

Yeah. And I'd take a hobo's Wigginton.

He's not great at finishing at the rim but he's very good at getting fouled and making them.

His splits in conference play, once he started hitting his stride:

40.7% overall, 38% from 3, 84% from the line. Even moderate improvement in those numbers would be great.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty

He's not great at finishing at the rim but he's very good at getting fouled and making them.

40.7% overall, 38% from 3, 84% from the line. Even moderate improvement in those numbers would be great.
He is a way better free throw shooter than wiggs though.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

One of the biggest things making it difficult for Bolton to finish vs. guys we've had in the past is that Bolton is surrounded by guys that can't shoot the three. There is so much less space to operate when you are playing with four other guys that are either "late closeout" or "no closeout" shooters. He has an ability to blow by defenders that's unmatched by anybody at ISU that I can remember. In fact, I don't think it's close. If he develops his left hand to be 75% as effective as his right, Jackson and one other guy can shoot 40% or so from three next year, and he can keep getting better with his decision making he absolutely is a guy that you can build an offense around. He still forces a lot when there is nothing there, but from game one without Tyrese to now he has come a long way with his decision making. There are certainly a lot of "ifs" there, but he has something that simply can't be taught. Guys know he's going right and he absolutely blows by them.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Prentiss Nixon is not the reason this team is not good. And yes, I'm sure they watch film, and I doubt Coach Prohm is in love with Nixon's shot selection as a whole, but I go back to again, what is your alternative to this situation? Griffin, another 26% shooter who can't dribble or play defense? Grill, a 23% shooter? Lewis, a pretty good shooter, but doesn't know what he's doing on offense or defense at all? Those 3 guys are your only options, unless of course you would've liked Prohm to dip into the walk-ons.

Nixon has not been terrible every single game, rather it's about every other game. He's had some very nice games and he's had some absolutely terrible ones as well. I'm extremely happy he had a nice game last night. He played his ass off and was probably the main reason we were in the game at the end last night.

I think this has been part of the challenge with the entire roster this year. Every rotation guy would have a good game or two, followed by some real clunkers. Even Bolton put up numbers but had a few games where he was really inefficient. Tyrese was way to passive some games and made some critical turnovers at bad times. The rest of the roster was wildly inconsistent. Last year's team was inconsistent too, but you could usually count on Tyrese, NWB, and MJ to be steady, Shayok to be really good almost every game, and then if you got either Wigginton or THT to have a big game, that team had a great shot to win.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The guys really left it all out on the court last night. Unfortunately, much like the theme for the season, it just wasn't enough. Got some real gutsy performances from the 2 seniors, and you could just tell the atmosphere was different in Hilton last night. Like the magic was kind of back, but there just wasn't enough driving force behind it. At any rate, thanks for choosing ISU Prentiss and Mike. As cringeworthy as some of the performances have been this year, without the two of them, it could have been that much worse. Felt bad for T-Lew last night, after he got pulled for letting Culver bully him to the cup for an easy layup. Kid can't catch a break, and I hope he finds a nice landing spot next year.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Maybe they don’t know how. But it’s funny some of the biggest offenders called your post creative.

These kids sure as **** don’t deserve the nonsense that has been posted about them this year.

now we’re on to attacking kids that haven’t even stepped on campus yet.

I get this is a minority of the people that root for Iowa State, but it has been prevalent in basketball for a good five years now, and it’s started to creep into the football talk.

these kids that choose to come to Iowa State and play, whether they play well or not, deserve support. It’s really sad and pathetic that people can’t even give them the respect for the effort it takes to be a college athlete.

thank you Mike and thank you Prentiss for how hard you worked. I’m sorry this year has been tough, but please know that the vast majority of the fans appreciate the effort you put in to represent our school.

I agree with you my friend that these Kids Deserve our support.....and remember GO Cyclones!

• Winner
Reactions: Cat Stevens

CycloneJoe6

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2012
Iowa
Maybe I'm in the minority but I'd actually like to see Bolton take more 3's. Sometimes the defense is giving it to him but he elects for the drive instead, which tends to get blocked a lot.

He's shooting almost 40% from 3 in conference play, let it fly Rasir!

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
One of the biggest things making it difficult for Bolton to finish vs. guys we've had in the past is that Bolton is surrounded by guys that can't shoot the three. There is so much less space to operate when you are playing with four other guys that are either "late closeout" or "no closeout" shooters. He has an ability to blow by defenders that's unmatched by anybody at ISU that I can remember. In fact, I don't think it's close. If he develops his left hand to be 75% as effective as his right, Jackson and one other guy can shoot 40% or so from three next year, and he can keep getting better with his decision making he absolutely is a guy that you can build an offense around. He still forces a lot when there is nothing there, but from game one without Tyrese to now he has come a long way with his decision making. There are certainly a lot of "ifs" there, but he has something that simply can't be taught. Guys know he's going right and he absolutely blows by them.
I've even seen some pretty good passes from him the last couple of games... If that can improve along with some more shooting I agree that you can build an offense around that.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I've even seen some pretty good passes from him the last couple of games... If that can improve along with some more shooting I agree that you can build an offense around that.

Absolutely - it's easy to see him force something up a few times a game and miss that he's becoming a better distributor as he gets more comfortable having the ball in his hands. It's not something that happens quickly. I really disagree with the folks on here that would like to see Jackson get more run as the primary ball handler and PG. I think Jackson can do it if needed, but I think Jackson is suited to be off the ball. Jackson is a better pure ball handler than Bolton, but it's a lot easier to initiate offense when you have space to operate. Watch guys defend Jackson vs. Bolton. Bolton's first step quickness demands space from defenders. I think Jackson will be a very good 3 and D guy that is a good ball handler. But I just don't think he is ever going to be blowing by guys off the dribble. Doesn't mean he will only be a jump shooter, but I do think the offense is best with a guy like Bolton being the primary ball handler.

Also, last night the pick and roll with Bolton and Solo was really effective. Then they started having Solo slip. While I think it is good to vary it and throw it in, it looked to me like after ISU made their run in the second, they ran that slip over and over again, and it wasn't nearly as effective. WVU is not a good team right now, but they can defend. And that pick and roll was really working against them. If looking for a positive, they ran a pick and roll almost exclusively to Bolton's right and a good defensive team really struggled to stop it.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Maybe I'm in the minority but I'd actually like to see Bolton take more 3's. Sometimes the defense is giving it to him but he elects for the drive instead, which tends to get blocked a lot.

He's shooting almost 40% from 3 in conference play, let it fly Rasir!

I somewhat agree. I would like to see him take more 3's also, but I don't remember him doing it much off the dribble. If he could stay at 40% off the dribble I would completely agree, but now that he is initiating the offence more he has a lot less catch and shoot opportunities which is generally a higher percentage shot.

Cyclones423

Dec 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Listening to KXNO today and Jared Stansbury has nothing to say about the Cyclones, just like Chris has been doing lately. They claim there's nothing to analyze or talk about which is complete BS. It's just that the only thing to talk about at this point is the poor coaching, but they don't want to say anything bad about Prohm. Just because it make you uncomfortable doesn't mean there's nothing to talk about when it comes to ISU mens basketball.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Listening to KXNO today and Jared Stansbury has nothing to say about the Cyclones, just like Chris has been doing lately. They claim there's nothing to analyze or talk about which is complete BS. It's just that the only thing to talk about at this point is the poor coaching, but they don't want to say anything bad about Prohm. Just because it make you uncomfortable doesn't mean there's nothing to talk about when it comes to ISU mens basketball.

What is it that you want them to say?

there is no good that can come from a local radio personality acting like as big of ******** as the people that post here. You want them to rip on Prentiss on his way out the door for you too? Maybe they can also question Xavier’s heart and effort to make you feel better too.

It is far more likely than not that Steve Prohm is going to be the coach at Iowa State next year. If the idea of that reality makes you so angry and miserable, maybe you should reassess your life’s priorities

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
There's really no point for Jared or Chris to come out and actively talk down Coach Prohm or even talk about the players individually. It would do no good for anyone. At this point, they'd just be beating a dead horse. I'm sure they'll give some analysis for the future and maybe some tidbits as the Big 12 Tournament approaches, but we shouldn't be angry they aren't bashing the program.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
There's really no point for Jared or Chris to come out and actively talk down Coach Prohm or even talk about the players individually. It would do no good for anyone. At this point, they'd just be beating a dead horse. I'm sure they'll give some analysis for the future and maybe some tidbits as the Big 12 Tournament approaches, but we shouldn't be angry they aren't bashing the program.

Imagine having your life’s priorities so out of whack, you’re angry a small market local radio host doesn’t rip on the coach you hate more than anything in the world.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Wiggs was 44 percent from 2 last year with unlimited spacing. Rasir is 44 percent from 2 on the year on 2 more attempts than Lindell. Rasir's percentage has fallen off in conference play but it's still the same as Lindell's was. The poor finisher thing has been way overplayed.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Imagine having your life’s priorities so out of whack, you’re angry a small market local radio host doesn’t rip on the coach you hate more than anything in the world.
People are frustrated and I get that. I just think wishing radio hosts would talk negatively about the program is not exactly what's needed here. All of them have given their opinions before and they haven't changed since then. At this point it would cause unneeded drama.

Some people might not understand that these coaches are literally coaching for their jobs every year. If they do poor one year, the next year is critical for improvement. One bad year does more damage than a great year does improvement. Prohm knows this. He knows next year all eyes will be on him as far as Jamie Pollard and the boosters go, and even a majority of the fans. If things don't go well, his seat will be on fire and his job could even be on the line.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Wiggs was 44 percent from 2 last year with unlimited spacing. Rasir is 44 percent from 2 on the year on 2 more attempts than Lindell. Rasir's percentage has fallen off in conference play but it's still the same as Lindell's was. The poor finisher thing has been way overplayed.
Dang people actually said he was a poor finisher? I actually think he's a good finisher for his size and he'll only get better as he gets older.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneJoe6