NFL: *** Official Week 15 Thread ***

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Why would it go back to the offense?

They were the last team that had control of the ball before it went OB or through the end zone. I understand the intent of the rule, to not reward the offense for an intentional fumble in a desperation scenario, but the current rule penalizes the offense too much in most situations.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I think they need to just tweak the possession rule, when it comes to a catch. Control of the ball? Two feet down(or another non-hand, body part)? That should establish possession, and therefore makes it a catch. Anything after that is a fumble. I don't care about "the process of the catch", or "performing a football move". Those things are too subjective. Two feet and control. That's cut and dried. If the ball starts to move after that, it's a fumble. That's my opinion, anyway.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I think they need to just tweak the possession rule, when it comes to a catch. Control of the ball? Two feet down(or another non-hand, body part)? That should establish possession, and therefore makes it a catch. Anything after that is a fumble. I don't care about "the process of the catch", or "performing a football move". Those things are too subjective. Two feet and control. That's cut and dried. If the ball starts to move after that, it's a fumble. That's my opinion, anyway.
Whoever thought it was a good idea to make determining a completed catch as difficult and confusing as possible should be immediately tarred and feathered. The only question should be do you have control of the ball with two feet or some other part of the body aside from the hands in bounds.

Receivers would actually know what a catch is, we wouldn't have 10 minute review sessions trying to determine the whole "process" crap, I can only imagine officials would love it to be simplified.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
I'm just glad my team sucks, and I didn't have to have either of those two plays (Pittsburgh non catch and Oakland fumble) ruin my weekend and season.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Smart to get out before the really nasty stuff surfaces and he gets the Donald Sterling treatment. I'll be curious to see what the price tage ends up being. In 2012 Jimmy Haslam bought the Browns for 1 billion, but the same year Shad Khan got the Jags for 770 mil. Maybe this is the opening Peyton Manning has been waiting on to get back into the NFL. He couldn't pull it off himself but no doubt he could spearhead an ownership group.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Smart to get out before the really nasty stuff surfaces and he gets the Donald Sterling treatment. I'll be curious to see what the price tage ends up being. In 2012 Jimmy Haslam bought the Browns for 1 billion, but the same year Shad Khan got the Jags for 770 mil. Maybe this is the opening Peyton Manning has been waiting on to get back into the NFL. He couldn't pull it off himself but no doubt he could spearhead an ownership group.
It's going to be an interesting sale, to be sure. I'm curious to see how it all pans out.
I'm guessing there will be several suitors. NFL teams don't go on sale very often, and even with all of the controversy in the league, owning a team is still an incredibly lucrative investment.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
This is good:

This is amazing. Regardless of your feelings on Cam, Clay, the Packers, etc. this is awesome. "That's cool. Watch this" is just a great line.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It's going to be an interesting sale, to be sure. I'm curious to see how it all pans out.
I'm guessing there will be several suitors. NFL teams don't go on sale very often, and even with all of the controversy in the league, owning a team is still an incredibly lucrative investment.

Yeah. I'm guessing it'll be closer to Jacksonville money than Cleveland money. Football (even bad football) is in the blood in Cleveland...generations of fans and so forth. Charlotte isn't exactly a pro football hotbed. I think there's local interest now just because the team is typically pretty good and they have a highly recognizable QB. But if the team was to become bad or uninteresting, I wonder if fans would still show up every week. And I'm thinking that potential buyers are looking at the tv ratings decline and CTE noise and maybe hedging their bets just a little. Still highly lucrative, but maybe not quite as rock solid as it seemed in 2012.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah. I'm guessing it'll be closer to Jacksonville money than Cleveland money. Football (even bad football) is in the blood in Cleveland...generations of fans and so forth. Charlotte isn't exactly a pro football hotbed. I think there's local interest now just because the team is typically pretty good and they have a highly recognizable QB. But if the team was to become bad or uninteresting, I wonder if fans would still show up every week. And I'm thinking that potential buyers are looking at the tv ratings decline and CTE noise and maybe hedging their bets just a little. Still highly lucrative, but maybe not quite as rock solid as it seemed in 2012.

I heard $2 billion this morning. That might be wishful thinking, but I'm guessing the number will be north of $1 billion by quite a bit.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I heard $2 billion this morning. That might be wishful thinking, but I'm guessing the number will be north of $1 billion by quite a bit.

Wow. Wouldn't have guessed that. I wonder how much of it is earmarked for Jerry Richardson's hush money fund.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Wow. Wouldn't have guessed that. I wonder how much of it is earmarked for Jerry Richardson's hush money fund.

lol, who knows? It'll buy a lot of Frisco Burgers and Grand Slams, though.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Somehow I missed this cheap shot by Thomas Davis. The NFL doled out a two game suspension today. Not that I disagree with it at all, but can someone explain to me how this hit was worse than the **** Gronk pulled against Buffalo a couple weeks ago? The league is all over the place with their discipline.

d-adams-blindsided.gif

• Optimistic
Reactions: Mr Janny

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Somehow I missed this cheap shot by Thomas Davis. The NFL doled out a two game suspension today. Not that I disagree with it at all, but can someone explain to me how this hit was worse than the **** Gronk pulled against Buffalo a couple weeks ago? The league is all over the place with their discipline.

d-adams-blindsided.gif

100% agree. This was definitely a cheap shot, but holding it up next to the Gronk hit and saying that this is twice as bad (based on punishment)? That's ridiculous. Come on, NFL. You can do better than this.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
100% agree. This was definitely a cheap shot, but holding it up next to the Gronk hit and saying that this is twice as bad (based on punishment)? That's ridiculous. Come on, NFL. You can do better than this.

I would imagine Steelers fans will be pretty salty after finding out that drew a two game suspension. I'm sure they wouldn't have minded Gronk being out yesterday.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
On a happier note, the NFC is shaping up for some really good playoff match-ups. Between Philly, Minnesota, L.A., Atlanta, Carolina, and New Orleans, those are 6 very good teams. I could see any one of them being the NFC's representative in the Super Bowl. Detroit, Dallas, Seattle, and Green Bay are all technically alive still, I guess.

ClonesTwentyOne

Feb 10, 2014
DSM Area
On a happier note, the NFC is shaping up for some really good playoff match-ups. Between Philly, Minnesota, L.A., Atlanta, Carolina, and New Orleans, those are 6 very good teams. I could see any one of them being the NFC's representative in the Super Bowl. Detroit, Dallas, Seattle, and Green Bay are all technically alive still, I guess.
Green Bay and Dallas will be eliminated when Falcons win tonight

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Green Bay and Dallas will be eliminated when Falcons win tonight

Close, but not quite. If Atlanta wins tonight Dallas could still get in by winning out combined with the Falcons losing out and the Lions losing one of their last two. Unlikely, but you never know. Dallas has Seattle at home and then they're at Philly to close out the regular season. The Falcons are at NO next week and then home for the Panthers in Week 17. The Lions are @ CIN next week and then home for Green Bay.

Help Support Us

Become a patron