Misc: ***Official US Open Thread***

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I agree completely about Na. That's the way of the social media world. Every armchair golfer can complain about him being a wuss; it's the popular thing to do.

Na's reputation was solidified a few years ago with his slow playing habits. That has been gone forever, but people don't forget that stuff. Seems like a pretty good dude to me.

The thing about Na, relative to other slow players is that he was having issues very few guys get through and stay on tour. I have some respect for him for that. He was also very apologetic about it. I'm with you though. Completely in on Na. Has a little Cory Pavin to him.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I feel like that Day, Rose, and Rory threesome just drug each other down.

Looks like some guys may be putting up great scores this afternoon. If Matsuyama keeps his putter going, look out.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I was out there on the course yesterday (Friday). A few thoughts:

*The condition of the course was phenomenal - that's what happens when a place is closed all season until the US Open. The fairways, greens, tees, etc were absolutely perfect.

*Weather was also perfect. Give the pros 83 degrees, sun, and a light breeze and they'll go low.

*I've seen pro golf up close several times but its still insane watching guys hit driver/wedge on 525 yd par 4s, hit 7 irons from 200, hit 5 irons from 240 - you can barely see the ball land if they're hitting more than a mid iron. 18 is a par five that was playing 625 I think and guys were hitting 3 wood/3 wood to reach in two!

*Would be cool to see how the close plays if it got a bit more dry, but with rain likely saturday not much the USGA can do. Winds supposed to be 15 mps sunday so that will make things a big tougher too.

*I'd highly recommend Erin Hills, beautiful course, all kinds of elevation changes. And for a major with 35k attending, plenty of good places to watch as well.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I guess that whole answer is why I like Rory. He's brutally honest and he doesn't really care if people don't like it. He's also tremendously self aware in a way that a lot of other guys haven't been and he has a pulse for what the narrative is and isn't afraid to throw shade at it.

I'll defend Na too. I don't think he was complaining as much as he was showing. He said there was a lot of room. It was a bad look, but I don't think it meant nearly what people made it out to mean.

If you don't follow No Laying Up and haven't listened to the Rory pod (or both) you need to do so.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
If you don't follow No Laying Up and haven't listened to the Rory pod (or both) you need to do so.

Oh, I've been following those guys for awhile. I think Horschel was their first guess and I was hooked. The Rory stories as far as his interactions with Soly from NLU are awesome. He's engaged, he's aware, and he appreciates that they aren't writing narratives and then backfilling the story. That's why when he got hurt and was bored he called NLU up to do another podcast.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Check out google images for Brian Harman. He 100% Georgia good ol boy. Very underrated player too. I wouldn't mind seeing him win tomorrow.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Wind is blowing HARD there right now. Going to be a lot different for the players today it appears.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Oh, I've been following those guys for awhile. I think Horschel was their first guess and I was hooked. The Rory stories as far as his interactions with Soly from NLU are awesome. He's engaged, he's aware, and he appreciates that they aren't writing narratives and then backfilling the story. That's why when he got hurt and was bored he called NLU up to do another podcast.

No way!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Check out google images for Brian Harman. He 100% Georgia good ol boy. Very underrated player too. I wouldn't mind seeing him win tomorrow.

He is and he's a killer. Huge chip on his shoulder and cocky as hell. He doesn't hide either characteristic.

Reactions: Doc

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don't understand why anyone would be giving Rory a tough time about his comments before the U.S. Open? I'm sure he still believes EXACTLY what he said. He didn't hit the ball in the fairway, and so he's sitting at home. I'm sure he'd say that there is nobody to blame but himself for playing like crap. It wasn't the golf course's fault, that's for sure.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'd like to be Matsuyama right now sitting in the clubhouse at -12. Rooting for Koepka at this point.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
It both sucks and blows here in WI. Nice course, but it's all lipstick on the rotting corpse of a pig.

2Ta6q2

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'd like to be Matsuyama right now sitting in the clubhouse at -12. Rooting for Koepka at this point.

I take this back now, Matsuyama isn't looking so good now. He might as well pack his bags and go home. I'd gladly take his paycheck though.