Official Thread - Hawkeyes in the NBA

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Give it up dude. You call me out for being triggered - I was enlightening you on ManMan's play with the Nuggets this year because I have actually watched about 90-95% of their games. Then you go and diss a former Cyclone who, mind you, did SO WELL in the G-League & has had a few really good games with OKC that the Thunder just offered him a contract. True, he is on the bench more than playing in games, but there are match-ups where he has been utilized (even when OKC's regulars have been healthy). What you are doing is similar to a Cyclone fan "poking fun" at Hok NFL players who are "sitting on the bench" or getting limited playing time. No intelligent Cyclone fan would be doing that, because most respect the fact that Iowa puts a lot of players in the NFL. I will give kudos to Cpt Kirk and Co. for having that track record. ISU has had 5 players getting some minutes this year for NBA teams & it would have been 6 had Bryce Dejean Jones not been killed. Pretty dang impressive when you consider that, In the NBA, fewer players can make a roster (compared to the NFL), and the road to making a roster includes competition from a ton of international players.

I realize we're arguing with a psychopath in his mom's basement but these are all great points that really can't be disputed.

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
Give it up dude. You call me out for being triggered - I was enlightening you on ManMan's play with the Nuggets this year because I have actually watched about 90-95% of their games. Then you go and diss a former Cyclone who, mind you, did SO WELL in the G-League & has had a few really good games with OKC that the Thunder just offered him a contract. True, he is on the bench more than playing in games, but there are match-ups where he has been utilized (even when OKC's regulars have been healthy). What you are doing is similar to a Cyclone fan "poking fun" at Hok NFL players who are "sitting on the bench" or getting limited playing time. No intelligent Cyclone fan would be doing that, because most respect the fact that Iowa puts a lot of players in the NFL. I will give kudos to Cpt Kirk and Co. for having that track record. ISU has had 5 players getting some minutes this year for NBA teams & it would have been 6 had Bryce Dejean Jones not been killed. Pretty dang impressive when you consider that, In the NBA, fewer players can make a roster (compared to the NFL), and the road to making a roster includes competition from a ton of international players.

I’ve watched quite a few Nuggets games this year too, and I admitted right off the bat that Morris is a good player. I’m not sure what you are getting so upset about.

I’m not ragging on the players- good for them for making money to play in the NBA. Not many guys get to do that.

What I am doing is making fun of Iowa State fans for bragging about having two role players and two benchwarmers in the NBA. It would be like Iowa fans bragging about Ike Boettger, Carl Davis, and Austin Blythe being NFL players.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I’ve watched quite a few Nuggets games this year too, and I admitted right off the bat that Morris is a good player. I’m not sure what you are getting so upset about.

I’m not ragging on the players- good for them for making money to play in the NBA. Not many guys get to do that.

What I am doing is making fun of Iowa State fans for bragging about having two role players and two benchwarmers in the NBA. It would be like Iowa fans bragging about Ike Boettger, Carl Davis, and Austin Blythe being NFL players.
NOT AT ALL. If you actually comprehended my entire post, even making a roster in the NBA is an amazing feat due to the limited numbers of players that are in the NBA (450 total) vs the NFL (1696) & the competition for roster spots are mainly from Americans in the NFL. In the NBA, there are 108 international players on NBA rosters (almost 1/4 of the total players). I realize that many of those players did attend American universities - but the point still stands that the NFL doesn't take nearly as high of a percentage of international players as does the NBA. Also, I don't mind any Cyclone fan bragging about former ISU players who are talented enough to make an NBA roster! Remember, it only takes a couple injuries to key players to be thrust into a starting role/6th-7th man role. Nader and Burton have both shown the ability to make the most of that and have even scored in double figures on a number of occasions. If they were only benchwarmer quality, they wouldn't be trusted to suit up and play significant minutes when called upon. Heck, even Georges scored 8 points in meaningful minutes the other night (in a close game).
Anyway, I am done arguing with you - have fun rooting for your team in the Big 10 championsh.... Oh, nvm.

Reactions: Cytown12

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
NOT AT ALL. If you actually comprehended my entire post, even making a roster in the NBA is an amazing feat due to the limited numbers of players that are in the NBA (450 total) vs the NFL (1696) & the competition for roster spots are mainly from Americans in the NFL. In the NBA, there are 108 international players on NBA rosters (almost 1/4 of the total players). I realize that many of those players did attend American universities - but the point still stands that the NFL doesn't take nearly as high of a percentage of international players as does the NBA. Also, I don't mind any Cyclone fan bragging about former ISU players who are talented enough to make an NBA roster! Remember, it only takes a couple injuries to key players to be thrust into a starting role/6th-7th man role. Nader and Burton have both shown the ability to make the most of that and have even scored in double figures on a number of occasions. If they were only benchwarmer quality, they wouldn't be trusted to suit up and play significant minutes when called upon. Heck, even Georges scored 8 points in meaningful minutes the other night (in a close game).
Anyway, I am done arguing with you - have fun rooting for your team in the Big 10 championsh.... Oh, nvm.

I’m not going to do the math but I would imagine the competition for roster spots is roughly equal. In college basketball you have 13 scholarship players per team. In college football, you have 85 scholarship players per team. There are fewer roster spots in the NBA but also much fewer people competing for those roster spots.

Last edited:

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I’m not going to do the math but I would imagine the competition for roster spots is roughly equal. In college basketball you have 15 scholarship players per team. In college football, you have 85 scholarship players per team. There are fewer roster spots in the NBA but also much fewer people competing for those roster spots.
Fair enough, but also consider G-league and international players are in the mix for roster spots as well (Burton, for example, went from Korea to GLeague to NBA).

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Iowa fans making fun of ISU fans for being happy for former players living the opportunity that most can only dream of.

Par for the course.

It's not like these were lottery picks or something and are failing.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I’m not going to do the math but I would imagine the competition for roster spots is roughly equal. In college basketball you have 15 scholarship players per team. In college football, you have 85 scholarship players per team. There are fewer roster spots in the NBA but also much fewer people competing for those roster spots.

I believe it's 13 scholarship players. The NBA is the toughest league to make it in.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Couldn't find any.

Mods - please close thread.
giphy.gif

PantherHawk88

Oct 24, 2015
Wow, this is pretty impressive. Half dozen non-contributing members of the NBA.
To bad somebody didn't think about an NFL thread...............

• Funny
Reactions: JP4CY

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
Fair enough, but also consider G-league and international players are in the mix for roster spots as well (Burton, for example, went from Korea to GLeague to NBA).

True, but you also have FCS, and even some D-II and D-III athletes, that are also in the mix for NFL roster spots. That doesn’t happen in the NBA. Again, I don’t think it is any more difficult to land a roster spot in either the NFL or the NBA.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron