Official Thread - Hawkeyes in the NBA

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
The real travesty is that he included Lou Williams as a point guard. Get that gaaabage outta here

How is Lou Williams not a PG? When he’s in the game he brings the ball up the court, initiates the offense, and leads the team in assists by a wide margin. Just because he shoots the ball a ton doesn’t mean he’s not a PG.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I meant to exclude Morris from “benchwarmer” consideration. He’s been good, but calling him the best backup PG in the NBA is a bit of a stretch- Rozier, Dinwiddie, Satoransky (if you can still consider him a backup after Wall went down), Schroder, and Lou Williams (Pretty sure he is listed as a SG but he effectively plays PG) are all better than Morris IMO.
Okay, fair enough. Dinwiddie and Schroder I agree with. tbh I knew Dinwiddie was having a solid year but didn't realize he had lost his starting spot until I looked it up. So yeah, best was a bit of a stretch. But my point still stands in thinking he is better than "pretty good".

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
MM next contract will be large. Schroeder is only highly regarded due to his scoring ability as well, not his assist to turnover or his defense.

Yeah, Nuggets fans are like “we need to decline his $1.6m option after next year so we can lock him up and pay him more.” But yeah, Dinwiddie has been even better this year.

Reactions: chadly82

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
Okay, fair enough. Dinwiddie and Schroder I agree with. tbh I knew Dinwiddie was having a solid year but didn't realize he had lost his starting spot until I looked it up. So yeah, best was a bit of a stretch. But my point still stands in thinking he is better than "pretty good".

Fair enough. I suppose it would be more accurate to say Monte is “pretty good” overall and is a legit good, borderline very good back-up PG.

Also: forgot to include Fred Van Vleet in the original post. Been hurt much of the year, but he is a better player than Morris too IMO.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Fair enough. I suppose it would be more accurate to say Monte is “pretty good” overall and is a legit good, borderline very good back-up PG.

Also: forgot to include Fred Van Vleet in the original post. Been hurt much of the year, but he is a better player than Morris too IMO.
Love FVV, played against him in HS. Never would've expected him to have the year he had last year but year he's solid too. Wish he wasn't so banged up throughout this year

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
For contrast, ISU players currently playing professionally at one level or another. I probably missed some.

NBA
Abdel Nader
Deonte Burton
Monte Morris
Georges Niang

2 way NBA or G League
Naz Mitrou-Long
Bubu Palo
Kourtlin Jackson

Overseas
Diante Garrett
Tyrus McGee
Daniel Edozie
Melvin Ejim
Dustin Hogue
Matt Thomas
Korie Lucious
Chris Babb
Will Clyburn
Sherron Dorsey-Walker
Jameel McKay
Deandre Kane
Georgios Tsalmpouris
Darrell Bowie
Hans Brase

Don't forget we'd likely have a 5th in the NBA - BDJ (RIP)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Guy I know (rabid hawk fan) was randomly a Nuggets fan his whole life and Monte is so good and playing so many minutes he decided he couldn't be a Nuggets fan anymore.

Benjimill is not alone in his consuming hatred of ISU's 4 to zero advantage of NBA players.

Didn't one of Iowa's players tweet some ISU hate after one of their games like 2 months after they played ISU

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The problem is, Nader and Morris are NOT benchwarmers. Niang and Burton might be labeled that, but there is no way in heck you can say that about the first two. In fact, for a "back-up" pg, Monté is more than "pretty good." Tell me another back-up pg in the league who averages as many minutes as Monté & is as efficient and shooting better? Your comment makes you sound stupid, 'cuz if MM was only "pretty good," coach Malone would NOT be sitting Isaiah Thomas in favor of playing MM, and then giving him the third most minutes in a tight game (like last night). Oh, and this is not a case of MM playing for a pathetic team like the Cavs & getting minutes because they lack top-tier talent. He is playing significant minutes for the 2nd best team in the West! I have watched most of the Nuggets' games this year, and every announcer has taken time to point out the significant contributions of MM - but I'm supposed to believe YOUR assessment that he is "pretty good?" Of course I shouldn't - this is the same fan base that said Gessel was better than MM and that Basabe was better than Ejim. You guys should really just stick to FB analyses - you know very little about basketball and what constitutes a VERY GOOD player!

I think the point you're missing here is that being a former Iowa player is legendary and they get treated as such when they stay in Iowa after their time in Iowa City, which is way more valuable than signing things like multi-million dollar contracts and playing consistently alongside guys like Russell Westbrook.

• Agree
Reactions: DeBruzzio

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'd happily be a "bench warmer" for the Utah Jazz if I got paid half of what Niang makes. For reference

http://www.espn.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/utah/utah-jazz

Hell, I wish I was making the money that Deonte Burton is currently making.

http://www.espn.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/okc/oklahoma-city-thunder

Russell Westbrook makes $9,058.47 per minute of game time.

(SALARY / 82 ) / 48 = the above

He makes Deonte's whole salary in 16.73 minutes of game-time --

Roughly 1 + 1/3 of a quarter.