NBA: Official Thread -- Cyclones in the NBA & G-League 2018-19

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
It appears that the opportunity is Monte's to lose. I view the Sloan signing more of a sign that IT could be further away and they need security in case Monte can't handle the load.

I thought he looked good but not great last night. He missed some opportunities to finish. Most of the Nuggets, besides Jokic, looked a bit off though. It was crazy watching him go against Rondo and Lebron.
I felt like Monte got beat on D on pick-and-rolls too much.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyientist

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I'm not saying, I'm just saying that Deonte Burton's career path so far has been eerily similar to A.I.'s from NBA2K19's MyPlayer storyline...

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The Jazz waived Trey Lewis and signed Isaiah "Inopportune T" Cousins. I wonder if that's less-than-good news for Naz.

20150302_ajw_ax4_240.jpg-586f31e90b973056021afe22fbdce4e1

Last edited:

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
The Jazz waived Trey Lewis and signed Isaiah "Inopportune T" Cousins. I wonder that's less-than-good news for Naz.

Interesting. Cousins was in their system last year. They probably could have gotten him on a 2-way deal this summer if they wanted him over Naz. Maybe Naz or their other 2-way guy will get bumped up.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Interesting. Cousins was in their system last year. They probably could have gotten him on a 2-way deal this summer if they wanted him over Naz. Maybe Naz or their other 2-way guy will get bumped up.
Wasn't he with Sacramento when he came out? Maybe I'm thinking of Buddy Hield.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Last night, the Thunder had a pre-season game vs. the Pistons. Nader got a "DNP - Sore left knee" and Burton had the dreaded "DNP - Coach's decision."

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Wasn't he with Sacramento when he came out? Maybe I'm thinking of Buddy Hield.

I think that is where he was drafted (same year as Hield and Niang) but he spent last year with the Salt Lake City Stars. I remember catching a game on NBA TV thinking it was strange watching Niang and Naz pass to him. FWIW I went to their website to confirm and Naz's picture was the feature on the home site.

Last night, the Thunder had a pre-season game vs. the Pistons. Nader got a "DNP - Sore left knee" and Burton had the dreaded "DNP - Coach's decision."

I haven't followed NBA preseason much until this year, but perhaps teams aren't playing as many guys since they have fewer games than previous years. Just trying to be optimistic. If anything, it shows how Monte is likely in the rotation with the serious run he's been getting. I don't think Niang played meaningful minutes for the Jazz's last game.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I think that is where he was drafted (same year as Hield and Niang) but he spent last year with the Salt Lake City Stars. I remember catching a game on NBA TV thinking it was strange watching Niang and Naz pass to him. FWIW I went to their website to confirm and Naz's picture was the feature on the home site.

I haven't followed NBA preseason much until this year, but perhaps teams aren't playing as many guys since they have fewer games than previous years. Just trying to be optimistic. If anything, it shows how Monte is likely in the rotation with the serious run he's been getting. I don't think Niang played meaningful minutes for the Jazz's last game.
You're right - Niang played about 6 minutes and Naz about two. In the case of the two-way guys, it's easy to understand. I just hope Georges gets a chance at some point.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyientist

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

I think the opening day rosters are already pretty set for all the teams. Nader not being able to play is concerning and could be a tiebreaker but he's on a guarenteed deal so he should be safe (if not he still got paid).
The plan for Burton was to refine his skills in the G-League anyway so I am not surprised they if he doesn't get much run with the big club this preseason. I'll be watching for an injury and if he gets called up and plays in the spring for DB's chance.

• Agree

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
You're right - Niang played about 6 minutes and Naz about two. In the case of the two-way guys, it's easy to understand. I just hope Georges gets a chance at some point.

I caught a couple of minutes on the Jazz preseason preview on NBATV and they had Niang making the club as the primary back up to Crowder and Naz not on the roster. Makes sense with the deals both signed this summer. I actually think the hope form the Jazz is Georges develops into a backup to Ingles tweener 3-4 rather than Crowder at the 4.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I caught a couple of minutes on the Jazz preseason preview on NBATV and they had Niang making the club as the primary back up to Crowder and Naz not on the roster. Makes sense with the deals both signed this summer. I actually think the hope form the Jazz is Georges develops into a backup to Ingles tweener 3-4 rather than Crowder at the 4.
Yeah, with his guaranteed contract Niang will stick. I've had my eye on Ingles, as well, about a playing style that Georges could emulate.

• Agree
Reactions: LLCoolCY

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Last night, Monte had 15 pts and 9 assists (to go with 2 TOs) in 26 minutes. He was 5-5 from the line. (vs. Perth Wildcats)

Georges played 15 minutes and had 12 pts on 5-7 shooting including 2-4 on 3pters. He really has worked hard to become a more deadly outside shooter.

Naz had 8 pts in 13 minutes and shot 2-6 from deep and 3-9 from the field overall. He also had 4 assists to go with 1 assist, a very Monte-like ratio. He's become a much better facilitator (or maybe the ball was often in Monte's hands at ISU and he didn't have as many opportunities.

The Jazz played against the Adelaide 36ers.

OKC played the T'wolves and Deonte played 11 minutes and had 2 points on 1-4 shooting with 4 rebounds. It appears that Nader didn't dress; he was listed as having a "sore knee" earlier in the week but I don't have any info about it.

Reactions: WalkingCY

ZZZ

Feb 10, 2013
Ames, IA

I know its a long video, but it has a lot of highlights from the Nuggets game last night. Quite a few clips of Monte in the pick and roll!

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The Utah Jazz have a pre-season game vs. Portland on NBA TV tonight (Sunday 10/7) at 9pm ET / 8pm CT.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
In news of less importance to Cyclone fans than Brock Purdy's emergence, Georges Niang was 3-5 from the field with all his FG attempts from behind the arc, vs. the Blazers in a pre-season game. He ended with a +16 and chipped in 3 assists and 0 turnovers. He got 11 minutes of PT.

That's quite different from his "old man's game" at ISU when he scored a lot around the bucket.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Last night, Deonte Burton played 15 minutes in the Thunder's pre-season game vs. the ATL Hawks. He had 9 pts on 4-7 shooting but had a rather un-Monte-like 5 TOs and no assists.

Abdel Nader still hasn't played for the Thunder in pre-season while he gets healthy. Russell Westbrook didn't play last night for OKC so ... samesies :)

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
2 chances to see "our guys" on NBA TV tonight, if you have it.

At 8pm ET / 7pm CT, the OKC Thunder play the Bucks. I don't think Nader has played at all iln the pre-season and I don't have any information on how is knee is healing. Perhaps they're just being super-cautious. But it seems like it would be good for him to get some minutes with his new teammates as the season starts soon. Hopefully, Deonte will practice a little better ball security.

At 10:30pm ET / 9:30 pm CT, the Nuggets play the Clippers. Monte has had the 2nd unit playing very well. He had a team-high 15 points in their last pre-season game.

Usually NBA TV repeats its games the following day - and often beyond - in case you won't be able to see them air live.