NBA: Official Thread -- Cyclones in the NBA & G-League 2018-19

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Georges has kept himself ready and has produced in limited chances since the Jazz acquired Kyle Korver. The Jazz got an easy win tonight over the Wizards, 116-95 and Georges once again got some 2nd quarter PT as well as some garbage time at the end. He's had to make himself into a 3pt sniper but I miss seeing his great driving and footwork skills so I appreciated this 1st half bucket (note what the announcer says about him):
I was just thinking that I'm glad Georges has turned himself into a reliable 3 pt shooter, but man I miss seeing his creativity in the lane. I think he could be effective in the NBA going inside. His drives usually aren't about speed, but body control and footwork. Good for him that he seems to be getting a little run.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Big win for the Nuggets tonight against Boston because of this:

To get the home court advantage throughout the Western playoffs would be huge for Denver because of their great fan support but also because of the effect of the altitude on other teams. They're 30-6 at home and one game over .500 on the road. They also clinched a spot in the playoffs tonight.

Monte played a bit less than usual but had an efficient line of 11 PTS, 19 MIN, 5-9 FG, 1-2 3PT, 4 REB, 2 AST and 0 TO.

Denver is playing some amazing basketball right now, they're back to their peak level I think. Will be really interesting if they can maintain this and get to the WCF against GSW regardless of if they are 1 or 2 seed.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I was just thinking that I'm glad Georges has turned himself into a reliable 3 pt shooter, but man I miss seeing his creativity in the lane. I think he could be effective in the NBA going inside. His drives usually aren't about speed, but body control and footwork. Good for him that he seems to be getting a little run.

I'm with you 100% on that. In the summer league and in the G league, those teams ran a lot of their offense through Georges, like ISU did. With the Jazz, he often sits in the corner waiting for a kick and it's not as entertaining for us that root for him; that's why I liked that highlight. I still can't think of anyone who has better footwork than he does in the lane; he's a frickin artist. Put that foot work on Miles Turner and you have a HOFer.

He's getting a LITTLE run but I'm hoping for more in the coming years.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Denver is playing some amazing basketball right now, they're back to their peak level I think. Will be really interesting if they can maintain this and get to the WCF against GSW regardless of if they are 1 or 2 seed.
They're not doing it with a flashy roster of superstars, they're just playing good basketball. Jokic is an All-Star but he's like a giant Georges Niang - nothing flashy, As a hoops fan, it would be fun to see a team that's just playing good BB without a "top 10" star going deep into the playoffs. It would give other teams some hope that they can win without a Durant, a Kyrie, a LeBron etc. We'll see. But Monte is a big part of that. The whole engine runs better because they have him facilitating.

• Agree
Reactions: SC Cy and HFCS

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
They're not doing it with a flashy roster of superstars, they're just playing good basketball. Jokic is an All-Star but he's like a giant Georges Niang - nothing flashy, As a hoops fan, it would be fun to see a team that's just playing good BB without a "top 10" star going deep into the playoffs. It would give other teams some hope that they can win without a Durant, a Kyrie, a LeBron etc. We'll see. But Monte is a big part of that. The whole engine runs better because they have him facilitating.
And seeing a team with a Lebron fail miserably while Denver wins is quite satisfying for a casual fan like myself. Like watching a Yankee team not win the WS.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny

It's probably my cyclone colored glasses but when you watch Denver play, Monte is always directing traffic. I don't remember if he was that vocal at ISU or not, but he is usually pointing where the ball should go or if a guy should move. It's uncanny, if you see him pointing that the ball should go one direction and the ball handler goes a different route, it often ends up as a TO or bad shot.

• Agree
Reactions: SC Cy

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
It's probably my cyclone colored glasses but when you watch Denver play, Monte is always directing traffic. I don't remember if he was that vocal at ISU or not, but he is usually pointing where the ball should go or if a guy should move. It's uncanny, if you see him pointing that the ball should go one direction and the ball handler goes a different route, it often ends up as a TO or bad shot.
The fact that his teammates listen to him is all the proof you need. Regardless of his college affiliation, who wouldn't trust a PG who is at the top of the league in A-TO ratio to be directing traffic. That is why the IT experiment does NOT work - especially when he runs the point. With MM - 6 out of every 7 possessions are likely to lead to the ball being distributed from his hands to another player w/o a turnover & much greater chance for a scoring opportunity. IT has, basically, a 1-1 A-TO ratio. So, essentially, you cannot trust him with the ball in his hands - not as a pg and not as part of an unselfish team.
IT has talent and the injury really set him back. But, the current Denver style of play does NOT suit him in the least, imho.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The Thunder lost again, after a comeback to take the Raptors to OT. They've lost 4 in a row and were in a position to be a #3 seed about two weeks ago. As of now, they're tied with 3 teams as the 6 through 8 seeds (listed as #8 through tie-breakers, I guess). They only went 9-deep in the rotation. Nader played 11 MIN and had 5 PTS. I saw a little of the first half on ESPN and he looked good and active on defense and had a strong drive for a bucket.

The Jazz crushed the Knicks last night. Georges seems to have only gotten meaningless minutes and went 0-5 from the field.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The Thunder lost again, after a comeback to take the Raptors to OT. They've lost 4 in a row and were in a position to be a #3 seed about two weeks ago. As of now, they're tied with 3 teams as the 6 through 8 seeds (listed as #8 through tie-breakers, I guess). They only went 9-deep in the rotation. Nader played 11 MIN and had 5 PTS. I saw a little of the first half on ESPN and he looked good and active on defense and had a strong drive for a bucket.

The Jazz crushed the Knicks last night. Georges seems to have only gotten meaningless minutes and went 0-5 from the field.

Georges got shots up in ultimate garbage time, 5 in 7 minutes.

With about 30 games to go the Thunder had by far the league's toughest schedule.
That's proven to be true, now messing around near the 8th spot.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
"Yeah but a Cyclone gave him the beautiful left-handed shuffle pass..."

The Nuggets pulled out a 113-108 win today vs. the Wizards in Washington, pulling them even with Golden State in the West.

A typically efficient performance for Monte tonight. His line: 23 MIN, 11 PTS, 4-5 FG, 1-2 3 PT, 4 AST, 1 STL, 1 TO.

It's probably too late in the season for Monte to overtake Tyus Jones as the NBA leader in A-to-T ratio at this point. 2nd in his first real NBA season -- not too bad.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Well, I, for one, can use some distraction from the weeping and gnashing of teeth from ISU's loss last night. Frankly, I could've taken the train to NYC to watch Monte instead of the MBB game.

Monte had a good game in the Nuggets' easy win over the NY Knicks. Very efficient: 13 PTS, 20 MIN, 5-7 FG, 3-5 3PT, 2 REB, 1 AST, 1 TO. He was +10 AND he hit a 3rd quarter buzzer-beater.

EDIT: I found this:

The OKC Thunder picked up a much-needed win against Toronto. Nader didn't score in 9 minutes and Deonte got a DNP.

Last edited:
Reactions: mynameisjonas

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The leading scorer on Friday night amongst ISU current and former players may well have been Naz Mitrou-Long. Look how much of his scoring is from driving vs. shooting long J's. Let's hope someone upgrades him from two-way player next season.

That was the end of the regular season in the G League.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
With the Jazz' destructioin of the Chicago Train Wreck, both Georges (8) and Naz (6) got some PT. Naz had a bucket on 1-3 shooting and Georges had 4 pts on 2-4 FG, including this acrobatic number:

In other news, Monte Morris opened a Twitter account -- @BigGameTae

Last edited:
Reactions: mynameisjonas

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Georges with a trey (end of a blow-out):

Georges is hitting 42% of his of his 3's this season.

Nader and Burton each had 2 points in quality minutes in OKC's loss, including this assist from Deonte to Abdel:

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
OKC beat Indiana last night, using a 24-0 run to overtake the Pacers. Nader had his usual minutes and these 3 pts off the bench:

Burton didn't play for the Thunder.

Georges Niang got 2 MIN of PT in mop-up duty at the end of the Jazz' win over the LOL LAL. Naz has not been on the bench the last 2 games for Utah.