Official start of the dog days of the sports calendar

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
With the Stanley Cup finishing tonight, came to the unhappy realization that the dog days of the sports calendar are upon us. Almost two months to the day until college football kicks off the start of next year's calendar. Going to be a long summer.

And don't give me this whole baseball thing. Baseball is what you watch when you need a nap and the golf gallery is being a bit too vocal to let you doze off.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I like the break.

Unless it’s raining or just absolutely miserably hot out, I don’t sit down in front of the TV until 9:30 or later this time of year.

• Winner
Reactions: Cydkar

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
With the Stanley Cup finishing tonight, came to the unhappy realization that the dog days of the sports calendar are upon us. Almost two months to the day until college football kicks off the start of next year's calendar. Going to be a long summer.

And don't give me this whole baseball thing. Baseball is what you watch when you need a nap and the golf gallery is being a bit too vocal to let you doze off.
Dissing baseball but watching hockey is wild to me

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
This is very loose research but according to sportsmediawatch.com, Stanley Cup Finals ratings were higher than normal and averaged 4.6 million viewers. 2021 World Series between Braves and Astros ratings were lower than normal, and averaged 11.75 million viewers.

For comparison, NBA finals ratings were up and averaged 12.4 million. NFL averages 17.1 million for regular season games lol.

But anyways, point being that NHL is easily the least popular of the "Big 4"

• Agree
Reactions: cyIclSoneU

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
New season of West world and New episodes of stranger things, should help
Better Call Saul coming up too. I don't mind the break. Looking forward to the Open, and usually have enough going on that I only get a scattering of time to spend watching sports, so I'll watch whatever golf tournament is going that weekend.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I like the break.

Unless it’s raining or just absolutely miserably hot out, I don’t sit down in front of the TV until 9:30 or later this time of year.
I don't have the time nor the energy to watch sports in the summer. This calendar works for me.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
This is very loose research but according to sportsmediawatch.com, Stanley Cup Finals ratings were higher than normal and averaged 4.6 million viewers. 2021 World Series between Braves and Astros ratings were lower than normal, and averaged 11.75 million viewers.

For comparison, NBA finals ratings were up and averaged 12.4 million. NFL averages 17.1 million for regular season games lol.

The NHL semifinals on ESPN rate pretty much the same as a regular Sunday Night Baseball game on the same channel. (The Finals rate higher because they're on network TV.)

NHL is much less popular than MLB, which is less popular than NBA (arguably much less popular now), which is much less popular than NFL.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
After this week, I have 6 weeks of paternity leave and chilling with my daughter. Lots of YouTube or Office reruns in my future.

We were watching a guy cut grass on YouTube yesterday while Mom got groceries

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Baseball is slightly more popular than ice hockey in the United States? Whoa watch out baseball is back! Lol.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
TOUR DE FRANCE, BABY!

Drugs, sex, rocknroll, barbed wire fences and half-naked fat guys with capes who run next to the bikes and make all the rest of us look a whole lot smarter. WHAT MORE CAN YOU ASK???

Last edited:

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The NHL semifinals on ESPN rate pretty much the same as a regular Sunday Night Baseball game on the same channel. (The Finals rate higher because they're on network TV.)

NHL is much less popular than MLB, which is less popular than NBA (arguably much less popular now), which is much less popular than NFL.

According to this MLB is still #2. I'd say it's a #2 for different reasons.

Largest-Sports-League-by-Revenue.png

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
After this week, I have 6 weeks of paternity leave and chilling with my daughter. Lots of YouTube or Office reruns in my future.

We were watching a guy cut grass on YouTube yesterday while Mom got groceries

i went to the dsm farmers market on saturday and there was some stand selling 1 pound of fresh cut grass for 15 bucks.

i need to rethink what i do when i mow. i could make a killing

Help Support Us

Become a patron