***Official St. Louis Cardinals 2021 Season Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Waino starts game by throwing four straight balls to Wong. I hope that's not a sign of things to come.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Carpenter batting 2nd today. WHAT THE ACTUAL F***?!?!?!
Carpenter got in the line up a few days ago, because the Cards had zero production out of right field. He's stayed in, I imagine, b/c he's put the bat on the ball (including some strokes to left) and walked several times (including pre-Yadi HR yesterday). Goldy is out today with back tightness.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Carpenter got in the line up a few days ago, because the Cards had zero production out of right field. He's stayed in, I imagine, b/c he's put the bat on the ball (including some strokes to left) and walked several times (including pre-Yadi HR yesterday). Goldy is out today with back tightness.

I hope he goes 5-5 with 6 RBI. I expect he’ll go 0-4.

I understand they had to put him in for Goldys late scratch. But the dude is 2 for his last 30+. Why bat him second?

Last edited:

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
Carp plays simply because he’s owed $18 million this year. You can try to get him at bats to get him going but he went like 1-30 in spring training and has hit .200 the past 2 years with starter number at bats. You have a first basemen in Nogowski on the bench who is a career .290 hitter in the minors and hit .333 in spring training and Shildt is out there trying to justify Carp hitting because he likes the matchup. Like what? That makes absolutely no sense.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Carp plays simply because he’s owed $18 million this year. You can try to get him at bats to get him going but he went like 1-30 in spring training and has hit .200 the past 2 years with starter number at bats. You have a first basemen in Nogowski on the bench who is a career .290 hitter in the minors and hit .333 in spring training and Shildt is out there trying to justify Carp hitting because he likes the matchup. Like what? That makes absolutely no sense.
I think they’re trying to see if he flares to life just enough so they can trade him off cheap.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I think they’re trying to see if he flares to life just enough so they can trade him off cheap.
Trade him off? How about we just eat the 18 million and release him. Since teams have started the shift on him, for some reason he refuses to drop a bunt towards third. Just try to hit it through them or over the wall. It doesn't work, didn't two years ago, nor last year, and it will not work this year.

About time we tell him, if you get to the plate with the shift on, and you do not bunt and beat it out, you will not be playing the next day. So looking forward to getting him and Martinez off the team next year, with the Fowler money also coming of the books, even with the NA money coming on, the Cards should be able to so out and find one bat at least.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Trade him off? How about we just eat the 18 million and release him. Since teams have started the shift on him, for some reason he refuses to drop a bunt towards third. Just try to hit it through them or over the wall. It doesn't work, didn't two years ago, nor last year, and it will not work this year.

About time we tell him, if you get to the plate with the shift on, and you do not bunt and beat it out, you will not be playing the next day. So looking forward to getting him and Martinez off the team next year, with the Fowler money also coming of the books, even with the NA money coming on, the Cards should be able to so out and find one bat at least.

I agree just dump Carp.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Watching Martinez nibbling over and over again, when he has a mid 90's fastball is frustrating as usual. The typical Million dollar arm and a 10 cent brain type of pitcher that drives the manager, team and fans up the wall.

How about instead of trying to be cute, you just blow the ball by the guy, you know like you did as a closer? Will not miss him when his contract is over at the end of the season.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

The problem with this is it seems to be a team based strategy to not do it and it isn’t exclusive to the cardinals. I don’t get it but it isn’t just a Cardinals or Carpenter thing.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Trade him off? How about we just eat the 18 million and release him.
With that “we”, how much of that $18 million are you willing to eat?

I don’t think they’re hoping for value in return. What they’re hoping for is to get at least part of his salary off the books.

How long this “hope experiment” continues, I have no idea.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
With that “we”, how much of that $18 million are you willing to eat?

I don’t think they’re hoping for value in return. What they’re hoping for is to get at least part of his salary off the books.

How long this “hope experiment” continues, I have no idea.
His salary is sunken costs, currently he is 0-11 on the season, last year he hit .186, with 4 HRs, the year before .226 with 15 HRs. This is not a slump that he is pulling out of, its time to cut base and release him.

As a long time Cards fan, I know that is not going to happen, but the line of thinking "we have to get value" is what is hurting the franchise. If a player is not producing, and Carp is not, its time to give a chance to a younger player.
His salary is gone one way or another, why have him continue to hurt the team?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
His salary is sunken costs, currently he is 0-11 on the season, last year he hit .186, with 4 HRs, the year before .226 with 15 HRs. This is not a slump that he is pulling out of, its time to cut base and release him.

As a long time Cards fan, I know that is not going to happen, but the line of thinking "we have to get value" is what is hurting the franchise. If a player is not producing, and Carp is not, its time to give a chance to a younger player.
His salary is gone one way or another, why have him continue to hurt the team?
Because if he manages to start hitting in the next month, you might manage to dump a good portion of that $18 million on someone else, instead of swallowing it?

Because he’s been a loyal Cardinal for ten years?

Because Lane Thomas, the next real prospect, needs some at bats at AAA to get his eye dialed in? And Dylan Carlson and Justin Williams haven’t (quite, in Carlson’s case) managed that in the majors yet?

Because you’re about to go through the exact same thing with Harrison Bader as you are with Carpenter?

I don’t expect them to hold onto him all season if he doesn’t start hitting. But they’re trying to get some ROI.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Because if he manages to start hitting in the next month, you might manage to dump a good portion of that $18 million on someone else, instead of swallowing it?

Because he’s been a loyal Cardinal for ten years?

Because Lane Thomas, the next real prospect, needs some at bats at AAA to get his eye dialed in? And Dylan Carlson and Justin Williams haven’t (quite, in Carlson’s case) managed that in the majors yet?

Because you’re about to go through the exact same thing with Harrison Bader as you are with Carpenter?

I don’t expect them to hold onto him all season if he doesn’t start hitting. But they’re trying to get some ROI.
So you are saying he "MIGHT" start hitting again, even though he has not figured out a way to hit the past 3 years, so you can dump him and get some money back in return. I am sure that is what the Cards are thinking, but its not going to work and we both know that. Carp is not magically going to start hitting, or teams stop shifting on him.
Its time to put the good of the team over what is good for loyal Carp. and release the guy. Send the message to the young hitters you either produce when you get the opportunity or you will not be playing baseball for the Cardinals.

Currently Carp does not have a position on the team other then bench player, 17 to 18 million is a lot of money to spend on a guy that is going to get 10 at bats a week, and does not help the club. I would much rather give those at bats to a younger player that may help you in the future, instead of giving them to a player that will not be here next year.

The Cards can afford to have Bader in center playing Gold Glove level defense even if he does not hit and he is also still cheap, Carp gives you neither of those things.

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
We’re going to need to get a real nice corner outfield power hitter this coming offseason if we wanna truly be a contender for a World Series. We cannot have Paul Dejong hitting cleanup. Yesterday they threw away from Arenado to walk the bases loaded and Dejong goes up their and has probably the worst at bat I’ve ever seen. Half this team has absolutely no situational awareness and pitchers aren’t scared of them.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
We’re going to need to get a real nice corner outfield power hitter this coming offseason if we wanna truly be a contender for a World Series. We cannot have Paul Dejong hitting cleanup. Yesterday they threw away from Arenado to walk the bases loaded and Dejong goes up their and has probably the worst at bat I’ve ever seen. Half this team has absolutely no situational awareness and pitchers aren’t scared of them.
Dylan Carlson is figuring it out. Justin Williams is starting to figure it out. Given the Spring he had, I’d hardly be surprised if O’Neil settles on when Joe comes back, and stops pressing.

My actual goal would be to find some team to dump Bader on, because I’m pretty sure he won’t get any better at the plate. Lane Thomas (almost as good in the field) could be an improvement.

If you’re going to have a “great defense/poor batting average” guy in the lineup, that should be DeJong.

That said, I’m still looking at our shortstop prospects in the system. Maybe Delvin Perez can get his bat together? Otherwise, it’s a long wait.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Martinez is so bad. His mental toughness rivals that of my two year old. You just know when things don’t go his way, he’ll unravel like an old knitted sweater. Carlson screws up and Martinez just gives in.

What a waste of talent.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE