***Official St. Louis Cardinals 2021 Season Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I have my fingers crossed. I'd be happy just to get radio, but even that it is a challenge where I'm at ("in Cardinals country"). From a marketing standpoint, how do you promote your team or sport by restricting access?

MLBs blackout rules are really, REALLY stupid. I live 6 hrs from Busch. I will never think “You know, I was gonna go to the game, but I think I’ll just watch it on TV instead.” Just look at ISU, for example, you can watch every game on TV now, and JTS is still packed every weekend. Even if MLB wanted to keep the rules, maybe a 2 HR radius from STL makes sense. Not 6.

And to your point, it’s just so arcane. We’ve long since learned that more exposure is best in marketing. Companies who fight against YT videos and severely restrict their content are just silly.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
MLBs blackout rules are really, REALLY stupid. I live 6 hrs from Busch. I will never think “You know, I was gonna go to the game, but I think I’ll just watch it on TV instead.” Just look at ISU, for example, you can watch every game on TV now, and JTS is still packed every weekend. Even if MLB wanted to keep the rules, maybe a 2 HR radius from STL makes sense. Not 6.

And to your point, it’s just so arcane. We’ve long since learned that more exposure is best in marketing. Companies who fight against YT videos and severely restrict their content are just silly.
The blackout rules are why young people don’t like baseball. People can’t watch the damn games. It isn’t because the games are marginally to long. It’s because people who actively want to watch aren’t able to.

Sure sometimes it would be nice if the game didn’t take so long but baseballs more something you have on not something you actively watch every second of.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020

The black out rules are to protect the RSN’s, not to push you to go to the game.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
The black out rules are to protect the RSN’s, not to push you to go to the game.
For the past several years, the Cardinal games were on the regional sports network (Fox Sports Midwest). This year they're not, except at odd hours. I don't know how that protects the network. And from what?

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
I found this at https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/schedule/tv

Sounds great, but as a practical matter, I suspect a lot of people won't be able to, don't know how, or don't want to deal with jumping through all the hoops, and will lose access to the games.

How to watch Cardinals telecasts
The home of the Cardinals, FOX Sports Midwest, becomes Bally Sports Midwest this spring. In its 28th year as the Cardinals’ television partner and its 11th as the exclusive television home of the team, Bally Sports Midwest will televise the vast majority of the regular season games along with 12 spring training games. The remaining regular season-games will be carried as part of Major League Baseball's national TV packages with FOX, FS1 and ESPN. The regular-season TV schedule can be found here.

Bally Sports Midwest also airs the Cardinals Live pregame and postgame shows before and after each of its telecasts along with Cardinals Insider, a weekly 30-minute show produced by the Cardinals, and Cardinals Kids.

Bally Sports Midwest's Cardinals telecasts are available in most of Missouri, central and southern Illinois, most of Iowa, southwest Indiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma and parts of Kentucky, Mississippi and Tennessee (see detail below). For more information e-mail RSNMidwest@sbgtv.com.

Where to find the Cardinals on Bally Sports Midwest
FOX Sports Midwest, soon to be Bally Sports Midwest, is widely available on cable, satellite and streaming providers throughout the region. Visit www.getmyhometeams.com for options in your area. Or click here for a list of providers that carry the channel in the Cardinals television footprint and the channel numbers on which it can be found.

Cardinals on live streaming TV services
FOX Sports Midwest, soon to be Bally Sports Midwest, is available on live streaming service AT&T TV. It can be found on the Choice package and above. Cardinals telecasts are available within the Cardinals TV territory.

Cardinals in-market streaming on the Bally Sports app
If you receive FOX Sports Midwest, soon to be Bally Sports Midwest, and its Cardinals telecasts as part of your pay-TV subscription, you can stream the games on the FOX Sports GO app and at FOXSportsGO.com. To stream games, you need to sign in to the app with your pay-TV provider user ID and password. The app is an extension of your pay-TV service that you get at home. It allows viewers to watch on the best available screen -- at home or on the go. You will not have to re-enter your TV provider credentials every time you open the app, although occasionally you will be asked to sign in again to verify your TV subscription. This spring, the new Bally Sports app replaces FOX Sports GO. In addition to live streams, the Bally Sports app will offer real-time stats, live game updates, highlights and more.

Cardinals on Bally Sports Indiana
FOX Sports South and FOX Sports Southeast, soon to be Bally Sports South and Bally Sports Southeast, will carry most regular-season and exhibition Cardinals telecasts in parts of Tennessee, Kentucky and Mississippi. The remaining games are available on an alternate channel on some cable systems. Some games are not available in some areas. The South and Southeast schedules will be announced in March.

Cardinals on Bally Sports South and Bally Sports Southeast
In Arkansas and Oklahoma, FOX Sports Midwest Cardinals telecasts are available and shown on an alternate cable channel, sometimes labeled FOX Sports Plus - rather than the primary channel designated for FOX Sports Southwest/FOX Sports Oklahoma. AT&T U-Verse subscribers in Arkansas and Oklahoma can receive Cardinals games (on channels 748 and 1748) by subscribing to the HD Premium tier. DirecTV subscribers in Arkansas and Oklahoma can receive Cardinals games (on channel 671) by subscribing to the SportsPack. The FOX Sports Plus schedule for Arkansas and Oklahoma will be announced in March.

Cardinals in Western Kentucky
Cardinals games are available in western Kentucky on many TV providers via FOX Sports South, soon to be Bally Sports South, and its alternate channel. Contact your TV provider for availability.

Cardinals telecasts in Arkansas and Oklahoma
In Arkansas and Oklahoma, many Cardinals telecasts are available and shown on an alternate cable channel, sometimes labeled FOX Sports Plus (soon to be Bally Sports Plus). AT&T U-verse subscribers in Arkansas and Oklahoma can receive Cardinals games (on channels 748 and 1748) by subscribing to the HD Premium tier. DirecTV subscribers in Arkansas and Oklahoma can receive Cardinals games (on channel 671) by subscribing to the SportsPack. The schedule for cable in Arkansas and Oklahoma will be announced in March.

Cardinals on DirecTV
Cardinals games are available within the Cardinals TV territory on DirecTV (channel 671) and AT&T U-verse (channel 748 and 1748). In some outlying areas within the Cardinals TV territory, subscribing to the DirecTV SportsPack may be needed to receive FOX Sports Midwest (soon to be Bally Sports Midwest). Check with your provider or e-mail RSNMidwest@sbgtv.com for more information.

Watching the Cardinals outside of Cardinals TV Territory
Major League Baseball designates geographic territories within which each team can show its regionally televised games. The areas listed above are within the Cardinals TV territory. Cardinals fans outside of the Cardinals TV territory may wish to view games via the MLB Extra Innings out-of-market package or via MLB.TV. MLB.TV blackout information »

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Aclone

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Forgot that the Marlins pitcher last night was sent to them by us in the Ozuna trade. Think we could undo that trade?

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
Forgot that the Marlins pitcher last night was sent to them by us in the Ozuna trade. Think we could undo that trade?
Arozarena, Marco Gonazlez, and Alcantera would all be really helpful right about now. Mo does well getting the set in stone all-stars (holliday, goldy, nado) but his young player evaluation on other trades is horrendous.

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
Also, I'm at the point to say go get Mark Canha from the A's. They're digging themselves a deep hole already and are always willing to be sellers. Drop him in CF/RF and hit him 2nd then move Goldy and Arenado down to 3/4. Would solve our problem and allow for Schildt to only need to play 1 of O'Neill and Bader.

As far as hitting Goldy and Nado 2/3, I think the analytics say hitting them 2/3 is great, but I'm guessing that's skewed by the AL with the DH. Just doesn't seem to make sense with the pitcher hitting 9th. I like turning back to the top of the order and staring those guys down right away, but I'd rather see them hitting with multiple guys on base.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

It’s both. But I’m having to take extra measures on my own dime just to purchase their product. If I weren’t an ardent STL fan, I’m sure the barriers wouldn’t be worth dealing with. That is a problem for their product.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
It’s both. But I’m having to take extra measures on my own dime just to purchase their product. If I weren’t an ardent STL fan, I’m sure the barriers wouldn’t be worth dealing with. That is a problem for their product.
Let’s face it most hardcore baseball fans who are willing to shell out extra to watch their team are older and not technically savvy enough to deal with the vpn thing or some other means to get around the blackout rules.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Let’s face it most hardcore baseball fans who are willing to shell out extra to watch their team are older and not technically savvy enough to deal with the vpn thing or some other means to get around the blackout rules.
I wholeheartedly agree, and as one of those older baseball fans, I much prefer to just keep Direct TV, watch the Cards and pay for it. Not wealthy, but like I tell my wife all the time, I can sit here on the couch and watch every game or go to St. Louis and view one. Say the same thing about the Chiefs and getting the NFL package.

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
Y’know, I’ve followed the Cardinals’ minor leagues and their prospects since 1989. I’ve seen a few highly touted OF prospects come and go.

But this Dylan Carlson seems like he might be pretty good at this baseball thing.
He’s got a really nice swing

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
He’s got a really nice swing
I really hope he lives up to the hype around him. He would make 3 good bats in the lineup. If you could get DeJong and O’Neil to hit north of .270 then you have an offense. Right now they have 5 or 6 guys with an OPS over .800 which is great as long as they can keep it up. We need to check back in a couple weeks to see where that starts to settle out.
I’m cautiously optimistic about the starting rotation Mikolas is looking like a flash in the pan at this point.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I really hope he lives up to the hype around him. He would make 3 good bats in the lineup. If you could get DeJong and O’Neil to hit north of .270 then you have an offense. Right now they have 5 or 6 guys with an OPS over .800 which is great as long as they can keep it up. We need to check back in a couple weeks to see where that starts to settle out.
I’m cautiously optimistic about the starting rotation Mikolas is looking like a flash in the pan at this point.

At this point I’d just be happy to see O’Neill make contact. 0-12 with 8 strikeouts this series. Yeeeeeeeesh. I hope he figured it out because we need his bat.

Carpenter is a sunk investment at this point. Other than some leadership intangibles, he brings nothing to this team. His defense is average at best (with a horribly weak arm) and his offense is not coming back, period. He turned a DP the other night and I could’ve carved my own bat in the time it took him to get the ball out. We’ve smashed our head against the wall for almost 3 years on this. He can’t adjust to beat the shift. They need to pay someone else to take him or find an “injury” that keeps him off the active roster.

I like this team a lot and have high hopes because I think the pitching will be very good. But I will be very disappointed if they keep trotting Carp out there because of what he USED to be.

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
It really sucks because ONeill has all the tools to be an all star but I think Jeff Albert is ruining him. Same with other hitters in the lineup. Would love to see Willie McGee get a shot at hitting coach. Man was a hitting machine.

• Winner
Reactions: mramseyISU