***OFFICIAL PINSTRIPE BOWL POSTGAME THREAD***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Istate

Jul 15, 2008
A good year, but a bad ending. I didn't feel like we competed very well today. When you look at the way this year could have gone and how it did go, I'm thrilled. The OSU game increased our exposure nationally. Maybe we gave a little back today, but more people know what Istate is today than did four months ago. We have some holes to replace and have to find a qb, but no reason we can't be a 6-6 or even 7-5 club next year.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
That was a seriously ugly performance. It felt worse than the final score.

I love the fact that our team does not quit, and that's a testament to Rhoads. I'm disappointed in the game, but pretty optimistic about the future (and hopeful for an upgraded offensive coordinator).

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
That was a seriously ugly performance. It felt worse than the final score.

I love the fact that our team does not quit, and that's a testament to Rhoads. I'm disappointed in the game, but pretty optimistic about the future (and hopeful for an upgraded offensive coordinator).

Yes! The most important thing of all is that we made a bowl game. Those extra practices are huge for our young players. They get to really start learning the system during bowl practices because they dont have to emulate the upcoming opponent the whole time. I know it ******* sucks losing to rutgers, but the main thing is the fact that we made the bowl game at all with this schedule. It will be huge for our future!

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Rhodes/Herman called a terrible game. Why in the world would you leave Jantz in the game after he throws his second pass right into the hands of the other team (even though it was dropped?) I am dumbfounded. He looked stoic on the sidelines. Tried the same plays over and over again with the same results. The D played generally well outside of the second quarter. Watching that game its amazing that they were able to win any games at all... Terrible coaching. Period.

The only thing Rhoads is guilty of is not telling Herman to get the **** out. Period.

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
Both this game and the Insight Bowl left me with the feeling our quarterbacks and the rest of the offense regressed between the last game of the season and the bowl. Even though we won the Insight, it was way closer than it should have been and I was very frustrated with our performance. Hopefully this is a trend that stops with the new OC.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Did you want us to put in Bueker?

Watch the replay of Barnetts sack and fumble and you can see his ankle get rolled under, then he limped off the field and even limped out of the locker room at halftime.

Did any media covering the game "officially" report that JB was out because of injury? Was something mentioned on the radio coverage?

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
Considering the "experts" picked us to win two games, it was a very good season.

I have to disagree about hte schedule. It did not turn out to be as great as everyone thought.

UNI - 1AA
Iowa - Down this year
UCONN - really bad team
TTU and KU - worse than most thought might be two of the worst BCS teams as of the end of the season.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
The only thing Rhoads is guilty of is not telling Herman to get the **** out. Period.

I've thought this all along. It felt really strange for a team with the slogan "ALL IN" to use have an offensive coordinator who had a taken a job elsewhere.

If you took a job at Ohio State, obviously you are no longer "ALL IN" and you should gtfo.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
I've thought this all along. It felt really strange for a team with the slogan "ALL IN" to use have an offensive coordinator who had a taken a job elsewhere.

If you took a job at Ohio State, obviously you are no longer "ALL IN" and you should gtfo.

Hey my friend, where were you when I was getting excoriated on this board for suggesting that ohio state buckeye tom herman should not coach the Cyclones in our bowl game. :cool:

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
When wasthe last time ISU had a front 4 that could get pressure?
or we could finish middle ofthe packin sacs

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Both this game and the Insight Bowl left me with the feeling our quarterbacks and the rest of the offense regressed between the last game of the season and the bowl. Even though we won the Insight, it was way closer than it should have been and I was very frustrated with our performance. Hopefully this is a trend that stops with the new OC.
Did we do too much sightseeing? On the field? We knew the blitz was coming and we had no plan for success.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Disagree. This was more about execution. I think we thought we could play past their blitzes. Too many bad passes, a key drop, and extra yards after contact. It wasn't Herman's gameplan that made us settle for two field goals early.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Disagree. This was more about execution. I think we thought we could play past their blitzes. Too many bad passes, a key drop, and extra yards after contact. It wasn't Herman's gameplan that made us settle for two field goals early.

Not executing goes back to the game plan. Expecting your center to execute blocking three guys is bad planning.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We needed to practice this month like Kurt Warner whose early coaches had people rush at him in practice till he could get the passes off. They just knocked the stuffings out of him, but he became proficient.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
kinda off-topic: has there been any info leaked on the OC position? Like when they will announce it?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Without reading all the posts so far in this thread, do I start spouting randomly or just agree with some individual comments as I go?

At the risk of being redundant ...

That was atrocious. The game was essentially lost in the first two offensive possessions. Go up 10-0 or 14-0, that's probably a win.

Three straight runs of 10-plus (15-plus?) yards, then 3 passes? Then start pulling out the trick plays?

I don't suggest going all-vanilla. Mow down the opponent while it's working, then mix in the variety.

Did the team practice much this month? Didn't look much like it.