***Official: OVERTIME Post Game Day Thread - Nebraska @ ISU***

westlbcyclone

Jun 28, 2010
North Liberty
Re: ***Official: Post Game Day Thread - Nebraska @ ISU***

Not to be nitpicky, but our conference regular season won-loss will be entirely irrelevant and overlooked by the committee when we sweep through to win the Big XII Tournament.

Good point! Your logic is infallible.:biggrin:

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
They've taken at least five years off my life this season, but I'm so proud of this team. So glad they got the win today!

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The tournament was the CBI...not the NIT and did you read the article as to the reasoning?

And I never mentioned the NIT. The NIT is pretty much a pipe dream. Since they reduced the size of the field, you have to be either a bubble team or close to which we are not. If we want to get crazy and talk about postseason tournaments then let's at least start at the bottom.

My point is that if we can beat Colorado then we're in about the same boat as them (Iowa).

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
And I never mentioned the NIT. The NIT is pretty much a pipe dream. Since they reduced the size of the field, you have to be either a bubble team or close to which we are not. If we want to get crazy and talk about postseason tournaments then let's at least start at the bottom.

My point is that if we can beat Colorado then we're in about the same boat as them (Iowa).

Iowa coaches have an existing relationship with those that run the CBI. CBI doesn't require a winning record and rarely gets BCS conference teams. Those two items could pay off for Iowa to get selected for the CBI.

ISU staff has no such relationship with the CBI.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Last year the worst record in the NIT was 16-16. The year before it was 17-15. In 2008 it was 16-15. In 2007 it was 18-15. Right now there are 185 teams with as good or better records than ours. That means we are competing with 120 teams for the NIT right now.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The only way the NIT is even conceivable at this point would be to at least split next week's games and win 2 or 3 in the conference tournament.

It's fun to talk about, but it's not very realistic. It's a shame, because the work ethic of this year's team deserved it. We just couldn't deliver down the stretch about 8 times.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Re: ***Official: Post Game Day Thread - Nebraska @ ISU***

You're, you're crazy man! I like you! You're crazy!

Maybe to be eligible, but there is no way they take a team with only 3 conference wins. That is of course assuming we win another game in there somewhere. This win was great, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here.:v_SPIN:
NIT cares about crowds and on that ISU can deliver.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Last year the worst record in the NIT was 16-16. The year before it was 17-15. In 2008 it was 16-15. In 2007 it was 18-15. Right now there are 185 teams with as good or better records than ours. That means we are competing with 120 teams for the NIT right now.

Better yet

Statistically 52% of NCAA bids are from BCS conferences and 43% of NIT bids are from BCS conferences. There is currently 55 BCS team with the same or better record.

65*.52=33.8
32*.43=13.76

47 teams BCS teams will get into the NCAA or NIT and there are 55 that have the same ore better record than we do.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
Anybody note the backhanded compliment the TV announcers gave our boys? They said the Cyclones are the best last-place team in the country; It made me smile in a sarcastic sort of way. Does this mean if ISU competes in any conference besides the B12 and Big East, that they're not a last place team?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Anybody note the backhanded compliment the TV announcers gave our boys? They said the Cyclones are the best last-place team in the country; It made me smile in a sarcastic sort of way. Does this mean if ISU competes in any conference besides the B12 and Big East, that they're not a last place team?

Probably the best compliment you can give a last place team. I had no problem with it. He was essentially saying that they are better than their record. But, hey, we all know you are what your record says you are...

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I've been saying that we're the best last-place team in the country for a while now.

It really is the nicest thing one could say about a last-place team. It just has a certain problem attached in that you have to be in last place to hear it.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
I've been saying that we're the best last-place team in the country for a while now.

It really is the nicest thing one could say about a last-place team. It just has a certain problem attached in that you have to be in last place to hear it.
LET WIN US COACH!

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
Forget the NIT/CBI. 7 game win streak puts us in the dance and we got the first one today. Anything can happen in KC and KU and UT will be disinterested. After those 2 we are capable of beating the rest. Great win for the guys and I hope they enjoy themselves this evening.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I just looked at last years NIT and the worst records that got in for big conference schools were 5-11 in conference, but each team also had 20 wins.

We have absolutely no chance minus the NIT wanting to use us for a big crowd, which if I'm not mistaken would require home court advantage and I doubt we would get that if we got in.

So sorry to burst the optimists bubbles, but it isn't going to happen.