***OFFICIAL OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP DISCUSSION***

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
If Fat Jack wasn't 74 he'd still kick everyone around.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Rory played great this weekend and Sergio played about a perfect round today, too bad he could get the eagle on 16 to fall and the bird on 17.

When Rory finds his swing, not sure if there is anyone that can beat him right now. Just too bad he only does it a couple times a year.

Tiger needs a new coach, someone made a comment "when tiger had a driver in his hand he looks like a 25 handicap.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
There was a whole bunch of great golf played in this tournament, Ricky and Sergio could have won a lot of other majors with their play this week.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Rory played great this weekend and Sergio played about a perfect round today, too bad he could get the eagle on 16 to fall and the bird on 17.

When Rory finds his swing, not sure if there is anyone that can beat him right now. Just too bad he only does it a couple times a year.

Tiger needs a new coach, someone made a comment "when tiger had a driver in his hand he looks like a 25 handicap.

I agree that Tiger needs a new coach. He basically doesn't have one now.

Sean Foley is such a pushover. I understand he has some good golfers under him, like Justin Rose, Hunter Mahan, Tiger, etc, but these guys aren't good because of Foley IMO. These guys do what they want and Foley doesn't argue with them. He's an *** kisser, that's it.

Tiger played his best under Haney, but he's an arrogant jerk IMO, more than Tiger himself is. Plus the two don't get along anymore after Hank ripped on Tiger in his book. So I think Tiger should go back to Butch Harmon. Harmon could help him tremendously.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I agree that Tiger needs a new coach. He basically doesn't have one now.

Sean Foley is such a pushover. I understand he has some good golfers under him, like Justin Rose, Hunter Mahan, Tiger, etc, but these guys aren't good because of Foley IMO. These guys do what they want and Foley doesn't argue with them. He's an *** kisser, that's it.

Tiger played his best under Haney, but he's an arrogant jerk IMO, more than Tiger himself is. Plus the two don't get along anymore after Hank ripped on Tiger in his book. So I think Tiger should go back to Butch Harmon. Harmon could help him tremendously.

Harmon's basically a cheerleader, Haney could help him but not going to happen.

People forget that Haney dumped Tiger, not the other way around.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Haney's an idiot though. Without Tiger, Haney would have been nobody basically. Haney got filthy rich off being Tiger's swing coach, and then he rips into him in his book. What a low life. Same with Stevie Williams too. Both are d-bags. Tiger made them richer than they ever could have been, but all they did was throw him under the bus.

I understand Tiger is an arrogant jerk. But who cares? If I became a multi-millionaire working for Tiger, I surely wouldn't throw him under the bus. That is about as low and classless as it gets. Tiger actually has handled those two situations MUCH better than Haney and Stevie Williams did. He took the high road while those two took the low road.

And now Haney is basically selling books out of vans in parking lots next to John Daly. He's pathetic.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Stevie is indeed suffering being the caddy for world #1.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Stevie is indeed suffering being the caddy for world #1.

I didn't say he was suffering, did I? He's doing just fine. But he'd be a nobody right now if it weren't for Tiger most likely. He owes Tiger basically everything he has right now. But instead he throws him under the bus and treats him like crap. And Tiger has been nothing but classy towards him on the other side, for the most part.

Every interview I saw with Tiger when he was asked about how Stevie portrayed him in his book, Tiger took the high road and said mostly nice things about him.

I know Tiger isn't some kind of great human being or anything, but he's not as low of a life as Stevie Williams or Hank Haney is.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I didn't say he was suffering, did I? He's doing just fine. But he'd be a nobody right now if it weren't for Tiger most likely. He owes Tiger basically everything he has right now. But instead he throws him under the bus and treats him like crap. And Tiger has been nothing but classy towards him on the other side, for the most part.

Every interview I saw with Tiger when he was asked about how Stevie portrayed him in his book, Tiger took the high road and said mostly nice things about him.

I know Tiger isn't some kind of great human being or anything, but he's not as low of a life as Stevie Williams or Hank Haney is.

JFC, he's caddied for Shark and Ray Floyd, he's never hurt for making money off filthy rich guys.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
I'm laughing at the way the golf world presents it. "Going for the throat!" It's golf. Yeah, golf is very much a mental game, use terms that describe it that way.

I'd probably watch more golf though if players actually did drop the glove and actually go for a players throat.

It's golf. I understand the mental aspect and by what you say, I wouldn't say it's actually Tiger intimidating anyone, but the crowd around him. Won't lie, I've been in a couple of fights where the guy I was fighting didn't intimidate me, but his 5 friends standing behind him did.
So the phrase "going for the throat" is reserved for physical sports? Why? I've never seen anyone in football or baseball do anything related to "going for the throat" more than golfers do in the midst of competition. It's a generic term used to describe the attempt to capture a win.

You must mean literally going for the throat, in which case that phrase is now reserved for MMA announcers and pr0n narrators...

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia

Look what butch has done for fowler the past year. Oh and he had adam Scott too

Tiger under Harmon was the best combo, however tiger got mad because butch was getting too much credit so he dumped him.

If tiger stayed with titleist and butch he would be on 20+ majors

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Really??? Yeah he can't go out there and kick their ball... but you are going to tell me when tiger was ruling the golf world his presence on the course through stellar shots crowds going nuts did not intimidate other players? Guess you are going to tell me their minds have no effect on their game lol

Edit: cough go watch past interviews with players during that time and listen to how they describe how tigers presence alone just made them play tighter.

This. Honestly, it was 10x worse if you entered Sunday with a lead on Tiger. If you did that and then started hearing those huge roars from the crowd ahead of you, you knew Tiger was coming for you. And 15 years ago, there wasn't anyone on tour who was immune to having that get into their head 100% of the time.

Golf is definitely a huge mental game. And Tiger's presence threw guys off mentally all the time when he was at the peak of his dominance. Today, players aren't scared of him anymore, and there are a lot of very good players. I mean ****, Fowler has only won once on tour since turning pro in 2009, and he's pretty damn good.

Tiger's not what he used to be, but I do think he could have at least a couple more majors in him. I think if/when he gets No. 15, that'll be a very liberating feeling after being stuck on 14 for 6 years (or more, depending on when 15 comes). So I wouldn't be shocked to see him get 16 or 17, but his window for catching Jack is starting to close.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Look what butch has done for fowler the past year. Oh and he had adam Scott too

Tiger under Harmon was the best combo, however tiger got mad because butch was getting too much credit so he dumped him.

If tiger stayed with titleist and butch he would be on 20+ majors

I agree with that. And the "Titleist" thing is big too, you are correct.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Agree! People forget that Nicklaus also had 19 runner-up finishes in the majors - he could have easily had more than 18 titles...

Jack is the greatest golfer in the world, and likely will keep that title forever IMO.

However, let's not even pretend that he played against the kind of competition that Tiger is these days. There is SO much more money to be made now, thanks to Tiger, that the competition has become incredible.

Zach Johnson played a pretty decent Open Championship this week and lost by 17 shots. There is no room for any error in today's game or else you get destroyed. Not so back in Jack's day.

But until someone can knock him off the pedestal, he will remain the best ever.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Great play by great players. Still, I like the British Open better when it plays tougher. Maybe it was the nice weather.

I didn't get to watch a ton of this week's play, but from what little I did see, it looked like the wind wasn't nearly as forceful as the British Open is used to.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Jack is the greatest golfer in the world, and likely will keep that title forever IMO.

However, let's not even pretend that he played against the kind of competition that Tiger is these days. There is SO much more money to be made now, thanks to Tiger, that the competition has become incredible.

Zach Johnson played a pretty decent Open Championship this week and lost by 17 shots. There is no room for any error in today's game or else you get destroyed. Not so back in Jack's day.

But until someone can knock him off the pedestal, he will remain the best ever.

I think there's more depth in today's game and the technology advancements has helped the golfers enhance their games. Don't short change Nicklaus and that era too much though, he had to take on a lot of high quality golfers in their prime to win majors...Arnie, Watson, Trevino, Seve, Player, Raymond Floyd among others.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think there's more depth in today's game and the technology advancements has helped the golfers enhance their games. Don't short change Nicklaus and that era too much though, he had to take on a lot of high quality golfers in their prime to win majors...Arnie, Watson, Trevino, Seve, Player, Raymond Floyd among others.

I think the biggest difference between the fields is that right now there are probably 100 guys who can win on a given week. In Jacks day, there was probably about 30.