***OFFICIAL OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP DISCUSSION***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Tiger was walking down 18 fairway and playing with Dufners 3 wood the new titleist prototype....sure nike loves to see that.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Tiger was walking down 18 fairway and playing with Dufners 3 wood the new titleist prototype....sure nike loves to see that.
Hilarious.

TW changed golf for the better. Reason is he truly has had the biggest impact on getting people involved with the game. Granted now his time is done and he maybe wins 1 more major. Luckily now we have some great young guys that were "cocky" enough to think they could take on tiger and have done jsut that. They weren't intimidated by him and they went right after his throat. That I believe was the biggest reason for tiger's run he just scared guys before. I mean come on like them or not it is awesome to have this final group Ricky and Rory!!!! Just think of the next generation of golfers that they will have an impact on!

Edit: Cocky meaning confident

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
For the non-fan, with Tiger not in contention this is probably super boring. But if you've been following the game, today's round should be super fun to watch with the young guns all at the top of the leaderboard.

RunDMCyclone

Jun 9, 2013
12 Grimmauld Place
For the non-fan, with Tiger not in contention this is probably super boring. But if you've been following the game, today's round should be super fun to watch with the young guns all at the top of the leaderboard.

Maybe if they were within shouting distance of Rory. But they're not, so there's not much excitement, more just a formality and seeing how many laps Rory can run around the field.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Maybe if they were within shouting distance of Rory. But they're not, so there's not much excitement, more just a formality and seeing how many laps Rory can run around the field.
They're definitely within shouting distance

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Serg making some noise (have to admit never been a big fan of Serg) sitting 2 back with that nice eagle

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Hilarious.

TW changed golf for the better. Reason is he truly has had the biggest impact on getting people involved with the game. Granted now his time is done and he maybe wins 1 more major. Luckily now we have some great young guys that were "cocky" enough to think they could take on tiger and have done jsut that. They weren't intimidated by him and they went right after his throat. That I believe was the biggest reason for tiger's run he just scared guys before. I mean come on like them or not it is awesome to have this final group Ricky and Rory!!!! Just think of the next generation of golfers that they will have an impact on!

Edit: Cocky meaning confident

I just want to clarify, you are talking about golf right?

Sorry, this kind of talk describing golf, just makes me laugh. I mean I understand to some extent the intimidation factor, a little bit, but in the end, Tiger has no bearing at all on how the other players play golf. It's not like he gets to defend the hold and keep their balls from going in.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa

Sorry, this kind of talk describing golf, just makes me laugh. I mean I understand to some extent the intimidation factor, a little bit, but in the end, Tiger has no bearing at all on how the other players play golf. It's not like he gets to defend the hold and keep their balls from going in.

Really??? Yeah he can't go out there and kick their ball... but you are going to tell me when tiger was ruling the golf world his presence on the course through stellar shots crowds going nuts did not intimidate other players? Guess you are going to tell me their minds have no effect on their game lol

Edit: cough go watch past interviews with players during that time and listen to how they describe how tigers presence alone just made them play tighter.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land

I'm willing to bet a large amount of money that you've never played golf at a high level.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Sergio making a run, but unless Rory does something stupid, just not enough holes left. Needs eagles at 16 and 18

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Tiger would have been better suited to WD and fly back and beg Hank Haney for forgiveness.

I think what tiger needs is just more tournament competition, but I said that Tiger would NOT win another major title with Sean Foley....Where are you Hank Haney? Poor ol Tiger needs you and I mean NNNOOOOOWWWWW.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I'm willing to bet a large amount of money that you've never played golf at a high level.

oooh, ya got me! How many years did you play against Tiger?

I understand to feel the pressure of a shot, needing to make a put, etc. If you let another golfer get into your head, you are doing it wrong.

I did play a lot of football and baseball through my life though. There's a difference between respecting your opponent and being intimidated by them. If you are intimidated, you shouldn't be playing the game.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
oooh, ya got me! How many years did you play against Tiger?

I understand to feel the pressure of a shot, needing to make a put, etc. If you let another golfer get into your head, you are doing it wrong.

I did play a lot of football and baseball through my life though. There's a difference between respecting your opponent and being intimidated by them. If you are intimidated, you shouldn't be playing the game.
Since golf is an individual sport, let's put it in terms of another sport for you so you can understand...

More often than not Tiger played in the final pairing of most tournaments during his heyday. Thus, he played with one other golfer.

Tiger Woods back then was virtually equal to the Michael Jordan of golf... Tiger might have even been better than Jordan in their respective sports. Would you have been able to play 1 on 1 vs Michael Jordan and not been the least bit intimidated?

It's apples to oranges and may not be the best comparison, but to say you'd never let someone as great as pre-scandal Tiger get into your head at all during a tournament is bologna.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
If a course requires a lot of drivers, Tiger won't be a factor.

A flatter swing, a shorter swing, yet still trying to kill it. Good luck looking for it.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Really??? Yeah he can't go out there and kick their ball... but you are going to tell me when tiger was ruling the golf world his presence on the course through stellar shots crowds going nuts did not intimidate other players? Guess you are going to tell me their minds have no effect on their game lol

Edit: cough go watch past interviews with players during that time and listen to how they describe how tigers presence alone just made them play tighter.

I'm laughing at the way the golf world presents it. "Going for the throat!" It's golf. Yeah, golf is very much a mental game, use terms that describe it that way.

I'd probably watch more golf though if players actually did drop the glove and actually go for a players throat.

It's golf. I understand the mental aspect and by what you say, I wouldn't say it's actually Tiger intimidating anyone, but the crowd around him. Won't lie, I've been in a couple of fights where the guy I was fighting didn't intimidate me, but his 5 friends standing behind him did.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Tiger's done. He only won 5 times last year and there's no hope. Ask Brandel Chamblee. He'll tell you.