*** Official Ohio State Vs #24 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I'm sure this has been stated on here but I'm not reading this thread; I'm sure the usual haters dominate it. That game was a 20 point win with a normal officiating crew. Its not that they were calling fouls unevenly, it is that they allowed a rugby game particularly by Wesson. There was also the non 5 second call, the phantom kick called when Haliburton was already at half court, and calling Shayok out of bounds when he wasn't, etc. Wesson's entire offense was to bulldoze over set defenders and set moving sliding screens. He shouldn't of lasted for 10 minutes of game time. The officiating is also the reason Lard was able to play extended minutes without foul trouble but heavily favored osu. That team could beat a lot of teams in the tourney with a game called like that. Most likely they will be blown out in the next round with Wesson fouling out early. That is what should have happened last night. Announcers were terrible too, but could at least tell the difference between a hand and a foot.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I was thinking about some statements made and some of them have to do with coaches not being responsible for players not hitting their shots. In the end, I partially agree as the players are the ones actually shooting it. However, at the same time I disagree with this on a small percentage. One of the many jobs of a coaching staff is to have their players actually work on fundamentals such as shooting, and improve. There are some great shooters on the team though and this year I think they did a good job. However, there were games where ISU just went into a complete scoring drought. Way too many times than should have been.

In the end though, one reason coaches are paid so much is because they are responsible for the delivery of results. In this case, they're responsible for actually winning games no matter how good or bad the offense/defense is doing. This is no different than someone in charge of delivery of something in business. In the end, it falls on them - high risk, high reward.

In the end, it's obviously not all of the coaching staff's fault on this - they weren't the ones taking shots. However, with many games this year where ISU just couldn't score at all - that partially falls on the coaching staff in the end.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I'm sure this has been stated on here but I'm not reading this thread; I'm sure the usual haters dominate it. That game was a 20 point win with a normal officiating crew. Its not that they were calling fouls unevenly, it is that they allowed a rugby game particularly by Wesson. There was also the non 5 second call, the phantom kick called when Haliburton was already at half court, and calling Shayok out of bounds when he wasn't, etc. Wesson's entire offense was to bulldoze over set defenders and set moving sliding screens. He shouldn't of lasted for 10 minutes of game time. The officiating is also the reason Lard was able to play extended minutes without foul trouble but heavily favored osu. That team could beat a lot of teams in the tourney with a game called like that. Most likely they will be blown out in the next round with Wesson fouling out early. That is what should have happened last night. Announcers were terrible too, but could at least tell the difference between a hand and a foot.

Blaming this loss on the refs is not the problem. Not having a bucket on 15 possessions in the first half was the problem. THT playing hero ball and being lost was a problem. Sloppy passing and ball handling. Did the refs contribute to tOSU getting some buckets and did they not call a bunch on tOSU, absolutely but the game had a lot more issues than just the refs.

Last edited:

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Ouch but truth.

Brutal, but so true. If there's one thing that's constant, it's that the teams even back to Hoiberg often times would look like they didn't want to play teams who they thought were beneath them .. only to rise up to play the teams they thought are worthy. All these guys are young and not all of them have the bigger picture mentality yet (some do though), but it's still frustrating.

I think that the players probably thought OSU was beneath them - and I think at least 7 or 8 times out of 10, ISU wins but not last night. Definitely did not deserve to win with that performance team-wise.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Ouch but truth.

I completely agree with JP's sentiments there, but does anyone else find it a bit odd that he sent out that tweet, instead of CSP?

I'm not trying to make anything more out of it than what it is, just seems a bit strange to me.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I completely agree with JP's sentiments there, but does anyone else find it a bit odd that he sent out that tweet, instead of CSP?

I'm not trying to make anything more out of it than what it is, just seems a bit strange to me.
They don't have 4g or internet in alabama, look it up.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy$

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

It does seem like an odd tweet for an AD to make, but it's 100% correct.

Maybe he's already laying down the law in terms of contract negotiations with CSP? As in, don't expect much from me Prohm until you give us more consistency. We can't have a few great wins, but a bunch of really bad losses every year.

Lafaester54

Mar 18, 2011
Colorado/Wyoming
This was a basketbrawl game. Any game like that has been hard for Iowa State to win when not shooting lights out. Our team (including the coaching staff) need to learn how to win these types of games when we aren't shooting well. This includes when the calls are "suspect."

Look at our guys builds. We are built long and lean. The slight build of our players make it hard to expect guys like Tyrese to finish drives in traffic until they get some more bulk; especially in more physical games like the tournament.

I think the team was tired after the weekend. If you rewatch the game, look at how we ran without the ball. Our feet were shuffling too often. It is hard to make strong crisp cuts when you aren't running/going hard.

While I want nothing less than a National Championship, like all the rest of you, I realize it takes a lot to get there. I think coach Prohm is a good person, running a clean program, who coached us to more than twenty wins. He is a better recruiter than I guessed and is young enough to continue to grow as a coach. I appreciate that he seems to value his players more as people, not just players, and wants what is best for them. I also appreciate that he brings back the former Iowa State players in the late summer to honor their contributions.

When I hear the disparaging comments about our coach and team after a disappointing loss, I try to think about some of the good things the coach and players have done and it takes the edge off my disappointment.
Blaming this loss on the refs is not the problem. Not having a bucket on 15 possessions in the first half was the problem. THT playing hero ball and being lost was a problem. Sloppy passing and ball handling. Did the refs contribute to tOSU getting some buckets and did they not call a bunch on tOSU, absolutely but the game had a lot more issues than just the refs.
I just kind of scrolled through this thread so this may be a repeat of someone else's thoughts. Seems that we misse the fact that the OSU coach had a very good game plan. He slowed the pace and they really didn't start to run their offense until there was about 10 seconds on the shot clock, when they entered the ball to Wesson. Few teams have an answer to someone with that size and skill set, esp a finesse team like us. We have very talented players but most are finesse twos and we lack a real pg or athletic bulk inside.
The slowdown in pace frustrated us as evidenced by our shot selection after their long possessions. I think they were quite good and a really bad matchup for us. Certainly not the type of team we see in the B12. Hoping someone emerges as a true point guard next year and our bigs get better defensively.
Well, that's just one mans opinion.
BTW, don't think a coaching change is the answer although Coach Prohm needs to figure out our recruiting strategy, seems like his mixture of transfers and freshman has been a challenge for him to meld.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Brutal, but so true. If there's one thing that's constant, it's that the teams even back to Hoiberg often times would look like they didn't want to play teams who they thought were beneath them .. only to rise up to play the teams they thought are worthy. All these guys are young and not all of them have the bigger picture mentality yet (some do though), but it's still frustrating.

I think that the players probably thought OSU was beneath them - and I think at least 7 or 8 times out of 10, ISU wins but not last night. Definitely did not deserve to win with that performance team-wise.

Truth. Not only truth, but people look back at the Hoiberg era with cardinal-tinted glasses and conveniently forget a lot of the bad in that era, because a lot of what we complain about in Prohm's teams were commonplace in Hoiberg's teams.

Think "hero ball" is unique to the Prohm era? It's not - it was a major complaint of the Hoiberg era. So many players had a green light to shoot the three that we were just as likely to shoot ourselves out of games as we were to shoot ourselves into them. The "no movement" offense was big in the Hoiberg era as well, considering his teams were coached to only take threes or points in the paint. And if you think the defense plays inconsistently now, at least they make the effort to play defense under Prohm. It was practically nonexistent in the Hoiberg era. And as far as toughness goes, Hoiberg teams lacked the same ability to play with physical teams (like WV) that these Prohm teams do.

Bottom line, would I be upset if Prohm left for Alabama? No. Would I want Hoiberg to replace him? Sure. But the one thing people around here will never admit is even though Prohm has had similar successes and failures as Hoiberg he will never get the benefit of the doubt and will always take more of the blame and less of the credit because he will never have the godhood status that Hoiberg has around here.

• Winner
Reactions: ISUChippewa

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Few teams have an answer to someone with that size and skill set, esp a finesse team like us. We have very talented players but most are finesse twos and we lack a real pg or athletic bulk inside.
The slowdown in pace frustrated us as evidenced by our shot selection after their long possessions. I think they were quite good and a really bad matchup for us.
Wow - OSU finished 8-12 in the Big 10. They were beaten by Rutgers and NW, among others. Apparently lots of teams, some not very good, thought Ohio State was a very good matchup.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I just kind of scrolled through this thread so this may be a repeat of someone else's thoughts. Seems that we misse the fact that the OSU coach had a very good game plan. He slowed the pace and they really didn't start to run their offense until there was about 10 seconds on the shot clock, when they entered the ball to Wesson. Few teams have an answer to someone with that size and skill set, esp a finesse team like us. We have very talented players but most are finesse twos and we lack a real pg or athletic bulk inside.
The slowdown in pace frustrated us as evidenced by our shot selection after their long possessions. I think they were quite good and a really bad matchup for us. Certainly not the type of team we see in the B12. Hoping someone emerges as a true point guard next year and our bigs get better defensively.
Well, that's just one mans opinion.
BTW, don't think a coaching change is the answer although Coach Prohm needs to figure out our recruiting strategy, seems like his mixture of transfers and freshman has been a challenge for him to meld.
Ohio States only win against a Big 10 team with a winning record was Iowa. Looks like any good Big 10 team didn’t have a problem with their matchup.