Not open for further replies.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I want Tarheel tears!!!

unc-crying-fan.jpg

CysEyesVet

Jan 25, 2013
I remember one year ago way too perfectly. This is going to be a different story, though... The 'Clones WILL survive and advance! This season has been absolutely phenomenal. I hope their hard work keeps paying off!

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Sorry, I'm a worry-type and half-full; I don't feel good about this without Georges. I know they have some bad losses, but they also had a 12-game win streak and wins over: Mich St, Duke, Kentucky and Pitt.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Sorry, I'm a worry-type and half-full; I don't feel good about this without Georges. I know they have some bad losses, but they also had a 12-game win streak and wins over: Mich St, Duke, Kentucky and Pitt.

Im wth you. It all depends on which UNC team shows up. I still think we win though.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I did some analysis in another thread but I'd summarize a few things here:

1) Out of UNC's 19 conference and NCAA tournament games, they've only held opponents to below their per 40 scoring averages 5 times, or 26% of the time. 9 of those 19 times, opponents scored at least 5 points over their per 40 averages against UNC.

2) For the season, conf/NCAA tournament opponents are scoring +4.3 points per 40 on their averages against UNC.

3) UNC's opponents are scoring an average of +8.5 on their per 40 scoring averages the last 7 games. That includes +19 to Duke, +17.5 to NC State, +12 to Pitt, +6.5 to Providence, and +6.5 to Wake Forest. The only team they managed to keep below the average was Notre Dame, and they won that game by 2.

4) We average 81.7 points per 40 minutes, which is a full 7.2 points per 40 above what the top ACC/NCAA tournament opponent UNC has outputted (Duke at 74.5). Niang makes up about 22 points per 40. If we get people to step up and account for 75% of those points missing from Niang's absence, then that would give us 76 points for the game. If UNC manages to hold onto their +8.5 opponent average for the last 7 games, that would boost us up to almost 85 points.

5) UNC averages 73.5 points per 40 in conference/tournament play. ISU is giving up on the year about +5.5 points per 40 to opponents, but if you take away when we gave up 102 versus West Virginia, that goes to something like 4.3. So if we allow that, it would give UNC about 78 points.

6) The last 6 games, UNC has averaged 72.3 points per 40 while ISU has averaged 81.3. Niang accounted for 23 per 40 of that. If we get 75% production back, that gives us 75 points. Adhering to each team's opponents' scoring averages against them, +8.5 for ISU would give 83 points while +4.5 points for UNC would give them about 77 points.

7) In the last 6 games, ISU is giving up about +2 scoring per 40 minutes for their opponents. Take away the K-State game and that number would actually be just below negative

Last edited:

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I did some analysis in another thread but I'd summarize a few things here:

1) Out of UNC's 19 conference and NCAA tournament games, they've only held opponents to below their per 40 scoring averages 5 times, or 26% of the time. 9 of those 19 times, opponents scored at least 5 points over their per 40 averages against UNC.

2) For the season, conf/NCAA tournament opponents are scoring +4.3 points per 40 on their averages against UNC.

3) UNC's opponents are scoring an average of +8.5 on their per 40 scoring averages the last 7 games. That includes +19 to Duke, +17.5 to NC State, +12 to Pitt, +6.5 to Providence, and +6.5 to Wake Forest. The only team they managed to keep below the average was Notre Dame, and they won that game by 2.

4) We average 81.7 points per 40 minutes, which is a full 7.2 points per 40 above what the top ACC/NCAA tournament opponent UNC has outputted (Duke at 74.5). Niang makes up about 22 points per 40. If we get people to step up and account for 75% of those points missing from Niang's absence, then that would give us 76 points for the game. If UNC manages to hold onto their +8.5 opponent average for the last 7 games, that would boost us up to almost 85 points.

5) UNC averages 73.5 points per 40 in conference/tournament play. ISU is giving up on the year about +5.5 points per 40 to opponents, but if you take away when we gave up 102 versus West Virginia, that goes to something like 4.3. So if we allow that, it would give UNC about 78 points.

6) The last 6 games, UNC has averaged 72.3 points per 40 while ISU has averaged 81.3. Niang accounted for 23 per 40 of that. If we get 75% production back, that gives us 75 points. Adhering to each team's opponents' scoring averages against them, +8.5 for ISU would give 83 points while +4.5 points for UNC would give them about 77 points.

This is typical for RWilliams'-type teams; scores in the 80's/90's, with extremely fast transition points. It's not based on D, but out-scoring the opponent. And his KU teams were notoriously bad FT shooters.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I have a feeling that Matt Thomas has a break out game much like the K-State game in Hilton earlier this year

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014
i think the x factor today is monte morris. monte has been shooting very good in the last couple game, his passing is really good and i think he can lock down marcus paige. If paige isnt scoring tar heels dont win

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
This is typical for RWilliams'-type teams; scores in the 80's/90's, with extremely fast transition points. It's not based on D, but out-scoring the opponent. And his KU teams were notoriously bad FT shooters.

Right. I just wanted to see and show that they aren't that great defensively this year either. Luckily, UNC is not an amazing 3 point shooting team either. On average they go about 4-12 from 3 pt per 40 minutes this year and actually the majority of their games this year they have shot it at or under 33% for the game. 19 times to be exact. Their average is 32% per game, but they had an 11/15 game against Wake Forest, which if you take away drops to just over 30% average. 13 times they have shot it above 38% from 3 - 4 of those were against teams like Northern Kentucky, Davidson, Richmond, etc.

If we are able to shoot the 3 well like we did last game, then that could be the difference even if they pounded us inside - as long as we can go tit for tat and maybe even more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.