***Official NCAA Wrestling Weekend Thread***

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
I'm guessing even with Varner and Z winning, it still wasn't enough to put us ahead of Cornell, right?

cyclone1306

May 1, 2009
I like Ness and glad he pulled it out in the end. However who had a better tournament run than Zabriskie. He beat the defending national champ, the defending runner up and a 3X All american on his way the the championship. Ness beat Oliver a freshman and Dennis a 2x All american.

Big difference.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
I like Ness and glad he pulled it out in the end. However who had a better tournament run than Zabriskie. He beat the defending national champ, the defending runner up and a 3X All american on his way the the championship. Ness beat Oliver a freshman and Dennis a 2x All american.

Big difference.

Z isn't going to impress a lot of voters with his style...

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville

Big difference.
Long had a helluva tournament as well beating Robles and Escebedo. Yea, he finished second, but going in, I figured that he would finish in the 5/6 round. With Z, it was figured that the title was his to lose.

cyclone1306

May 1, 2009
Z isn't going to impress a lot of voters with his style...

Explain to me how Ness did. He went into a multiple overtime match against Oliver that was a snooze fest. No takedowns just ride out after ride out.

He was getting beat in the finals to a kid who he had beat several times this year to escape at the end with the win. To me the performance of Z is more impressive.

If style points determined it then why didnt Borschel get it from Iowa at 174. Was getting destroyed in semis to come back late and steal it, then to dominate in the finals. To me that was more of an impressive run then Ness. I am happy for Ness and he deserved it but of all the weights he was the more overwhelming favorite of any weight class, maybe Varner could have been thrown in there as well.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Congrats to Jake and Big Z for making us so proud. When it came to the big boys, the Clones dominated. And for any Clones that think it's ok to join the hawks and boo Cael, I doubt Jake Varner will join you. To quote him from the register sports this morning, he still holds Cael in the same high regard as he always has, and will train with him to seek world and olympic titles. "Just to be put in the same sentence as Cael is something special" said Varner. Well said by one of the all time great Cyclones, and go get those world and olympic titles.

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
Jake and Cael are really close, of course he's going to back him. But saying people shouldn't boo Cael because Varner wouldn't boo him is like saying people shouldn't boo Tom Brands because Terry wouldn't.

EYE4CY

Feb 15, 2010
It doesn't matter how much you hate Iowa, you have to admit what they did this week was incredible. They just set the 10th highest all-time scoring record and 9th highest win margin. In the case of the hodge, they look at the whole year, not just nationals. So to say "he had the better run to the finals" doesn't work. It is the whole year. You can make a darn good case for a bunch of people, ness, McDonough, Metcalf, Borschel, Varner, J.P. O'Conner, and maybe even Dake. They all had wonderful years with high quality wins. I would honestly have to say Borschel would have my vote. There were not many matches that he was in trouble in and controlled a kid that had to that point not had any takedowns on him(Lewnes). Plus his bonus point numbers were incredible. But like I said, any of those guys deserve it.

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
In the case of the hodge, they look at the whole year, not just nationals.

true, but not totally accurate. they even look beyond the year into past credentials.

1. Record 2. Number of pins 3. Dominance 4. Past credentials 5. Quality of competition 6. Sportsmanship/citizenship 7. Heart

from the past credentials standpoint, varner has to edge everyone. also, quality of competition was impressive for him... andrew howe might have been the only one to go undefeated with a tougher schedule this year.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
cy1010- If you've read my posts I'm not saying Clone fans shouldn't boo Cael just because Varner admires him. I'm saying it because of all the colleges Cael Sanderson could have chosen, inluding an Iowa program that was dominating the college wrestling world, he chose Bobby Douglas and Iowa State. I'm saying Clone fans shouldn't boo Cael because he gave us the best collegiate career of not only any Clone in history, but any collegiate wrestler in history up to now and probably forever. I'm saying Clone fans shouldn't boo Cael because he was, is, and probably always will be a great ambassador for ISU as evidenced by his comments in the paper Sunday. You've got your opinion, and that's fine, but mine is that I will be very ashamed of any Clone fans that boo the greatest wrestler in ISU history and a great human being.